new to making beats

Brito21

hey whats up im new to making beats and wondering what the best plugins for west coast hip hop beats like kendrick lamars section 80 ... which one should i buy omnisphere, kontakt 5, sylenth 1, nexus etc. When making a beat and laying down the notes i find it difficult because i dont know music theory,,, how do people make beats without it or is it necessary. i use logic pro x. thanks

First off, don't worry about 3rd party software and use what is with your digital audio workstation. I would focus on music theory first, then buy software. I would recommend sylenth 1, it's cheaper out of the 3 and with sylenth you get 1,000+ presets, and get to create your own sounds, you can't do that with nexus.

for music theory, just pick a scale, (ex: D Major) google the notes for that scale and stay within that scale (for example f major, only use notes for f major.) simple.

Last edited:
You don't really need to know music theory in a traditional sense if you have a trained ear. I.E. if you can hear a beat or melody in your head and transpose it into your DAW, you don't actually need to know the names of the chords/notes you're using. The best skill to develop is being able to have a finished idea of what you want your beat to sound like in your head and have the knowledge,skills and abilities to create that finished product with your software. If learning music theory helps you do that then you should learn it, but really the best thing you can do is just sit down and start making beats imo. You'll learn what you need to on the way.

Last edited:
Back