New Member Seeking Feedback

Aaron A

Hello everyone, I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get some advice. My name is Aaron. I've been playing with the trial version of FL Studio for a good few months now, and now at the point where it would be helpful for some experienced producers to listen to my music and tell me where I'm going wrong.

I don't spend too long on making the music as I'm only making it to try and improve the production side of things. I've seen myself make a song in an hour, then spending about ten hours trying to mix it, only for it to come out sounding like it's playing inside a washing machine lol. Too much compression and soundgoodizer is one thing I've learned about so far.

Right now the areas I feel lost in are:

Finding drum and bass levels. I struggle with hi-hats and often just keep them out as they never seem to sit right in the music. I struggle with the kick volume and the same for the bass. I find myself just guessing, but I hope there's a method to get everything balanced.

My music often sounds brash/harsh even when I try to tone it down with eq etc. I think it's down to my sound choice. I mainly just try and mash presets together to get a sound I like, tweaking just a few things here and there.

Overall, my music sounds amateurish (to me anyway)

I know it takes a lot of time and work to get to a good level in music production. Hopefully, someone reading this will be able to provide a few pointers and help me improve a little.

My music is on my SoundCloud under Tanglewood10.

I set up the account a long time ago to upload acoustic guitar music and the guitar I had at the time was a Tanglewood, hence the name.

Since I started with FL Studio, I've been uploading to soundcloud to keep tabs on my progress, as I can't open the files again (trial version). There's maybe one or two songs where I hear a bit of progress but not much, or not as much as I would like.

Thanks for reading. I would really appreciate anyone who takes the time to listen to my music and provide feedback.

I feel like I'm going to learn a lot on this forum.

Thanks again
Aaron

First off welcome👋🏽

Your music is actually pretty good, please don’t overload your brain with too much info and start making music that sucks 😂. Yes, you are correct start with sound choice, don’t focus tooooooo much on mixing you keep beating yourself up there keep learning obviously. You will get better with that with time.

I like your sounds, your instruments sound good. DRUMS could definetly be better and it starts with choice then mixing. I would recommend stop overmixing cause you could be killing your good sounds 🤣 🤣

You’re doing good bro work on BIG FAT DRUM SOUNDS and arrangement/song structure TRANSITIONS.

Enjoyed your music🥂

:monkey:

Back