NEW Mac Mini i7

havana

Anyone had a look at the latest Mac mini's. Powerful enough to do a pro session and small enough to fit in my laptop bag. I'd go for the i7 version of course.
This would be perfect for me since I'm always taking projects home when I'm editing. My 15.6" laptop screen was always too small.
Just plug into the 32 inch screen when I get home...beauteeee!!!!!
:cool:

Who cares about the mini, they finally came out with the new Air. YES. Been waiting for the update before I buy. i5 and i7, backlit keyboard, all flash. Now that is dope. Can't wait to get rid of my Macbook for one.

I really don't understand your logic though. Instead of bringing a Mac Mini with you why not plug your laptop into your 32" screen lol....

Who cares about the mini, they finally came out with the new Air. YES. Been waiting for the update before I buy. i5 and i7, backlit keyboard, all flash. Now that is dope. Can't wait to get rid of my Macbook for one.

I really don't understand your logic though. Instead of bringing a Mac Mini with you why not plug your laptop into your 32" screen lol....

Two reasons A) Not powerful enough to handle my projects. B) I don't like using laptop keyboard when working on projects. (79 track project to be exact.)

My thumbs down on the Mini has turned horizontal and while it's better it's still not quite a thumbs up. I will say this though, if you plan on getting one of these for music it might be a good idea to swap out the slow 5400-RPM hard drive for a faster drive and from what I hear it might be possible to add a second drive, I assume this plugs into the empty space left by the decision to not include a CD/DVD drive.

step1-product-macmini-lion.jpg
2.0GHz : Dual 500GB

• 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
  • 4GB memory
  • Dual 500GB 7200-rpm hard drives1
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • OS X Lion Server
  • OS X Lion
With specs like these, I shouldn't have any problems running a big project.

Last edited:
Two reasons A) Not powerful enough to handle my projects. B) I don't like using laptop keyboard when working on projects. (79 track project to be exact.)

You can use a bluetooth keyboard with a laptop just like with the mini. I'd rather have a macbook pro as my only computer then try to use a mini as a laptop. I love the mini but by the time you get a decent one your at iMac prices.

They look pretty awesome actually. I want an air though for sure

They are awesome the problem is by the time you trick one out and all the components it's cheaper to get a better iMac.

I can't wait to sell my Core 2 Duo for an Air. Really just can't decide 11" or 13"
I have a 13" and I'm thinking the 11" would be incredible with the new 27" monitor for the office but... that's quite the expense; and again would be cheaper to just get an iMac as a home computer and the Air as a laptop. I'm mostly doing writing gigs these days though so the form factor and portability of the 11" is really nice. Would be a good platform for stuff like that. Writing, blogging, couch work. Looking to start my own blog and such too.

But what if you already have a 27" monitor? Or if you want to use it on the road? an iMac has its place and so does a Mini.

But what if you already have a 27" monitor? Or if you want to use it on the road? an iMac has its place and so does a Mini.

Well that's the whole point of the Mac Mini is you are supposed to already have all the peripherals. If you already have everything then the value is good. I'm speaking from an Apple product perspective whereas if you were to buy everything new at the same time it would be more expensive. The Mac Mini and Air is my favorite offerings from Apple; it's just never been cost effective to me by the time I am to get the rest of the stuff. I think getting one and a nice LED TV would be a nice setup though. At this point I'm so used to sitting all around the house with a laptop though the idea behind sitting at a desk doesn't even cross my mind anymore. Maybe if I had a nice downtown city loft view it would be pleasant... Actually I like that idea.

With the i7 now it should be much better then the Core2Duo like I have in my Macbook.

THIS is what I want... but would be over $2000... yikes.

overview_hero1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah that does look pretty sweet though but you can get close to the same in a tower and pc configuration for half the price. I wish I was rich enough for that kind of set up though! lol

Back