New Laptop Dell vs Lenovo vs HP???

Dj Smiley

So I am in the market to get a new laptop. I will be using it to dj with serato while running the N.I. Maschine software with other vst's and in the future possibly ableton if I get it to use the bridge. Also I would like to install my DAW software on it as well so I have the ability to work on music away from home if need be and port projects between the laptop and my quadcore desktop. I have ruled out Macs just due to the cost. I feel for my budget which is about 1200-1300 I will not get the speed/ram I want from a Mac. So my question is what PC brand to go with. I have a cheap-ish gateway now and loathe it. I got it on sale so I shouldn't complain, but I don't want to go the bargain pc route this time as this will be a big component of what I do live. I was looking between the HP Envy and the Dell XPS lines as well as some different Lenovo's. My main thing I must have is a i5/i7 and 4 to 8 gb of ram.
So any thoughts?

Last edited:
whatever you don't get a dell. they're laptop shaped pieces of shit.

i'd go with a lenovo. theyre built like tanks.

whatever you don't get a dell. they're laptop shaped pieces of shit.

i'd go with a lenovo. theyre built like tanks.

lol... They are not much to look at either.. Dells design team has really fallen off, not to say they were ever on but the new xps does look like dog shit. Those Lenovo's though I have only read good reviews on. Also I dont know why I left Asus out of the running. They just have so many damn models, their site is a nightmare to navigate IMO. I will post when I get it narrowed down to the final 2 contenders.

Last edited:
I would rather buy a semi.fast notebook for 500-700 bucks...use it 1 year and then sell it on ebay for lets say 350-550. You loose 150 bucks a year / 12,5 bucks a month. But with all the new technology coming out one year from now the same notebook for 500-700 bucks will be faster than your expensive one that you will buy rght now for 1200 bucks. Even worse if you plan to use that notebook for 5 years you might loose all your money...who will buy that old piece of hardware from you in 5 years ?

For that price I say go with a Toshiba or Sony. They are built to last and look damn nice.

I'd have to disagree with the Dell haters though. I can't say much about their XPS line but their Latitude lines have been workhorses for me and my employees. They've lasted a long time through A LOT of abuse and travel.

In my view hp laptops are good because I am currently deployed to India and I must say that this HP Laptop is one of the best purchases I've ever made. Not only did I receive this laptop in one week from the time of purchase, but also exceeded my expectations in every way. I did a lot of shopping around to see what was the best value for a Laptop of very good quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my view hp laptops are goob because I am currently deployed to India and I must say that this HP Laptop is one of the best purchases I've ever made. Not only did I receive this laptop in one week from the time of purchase, but also exceeded my expectations in every way. I did a lot of shopping around to see what was the best value for a Laptop of very good quality.

If this is a spambot , I suggest we keep it :p

Levono is definitely the better of the three. Stay away from HP... mine broke a month after the 1 year warranty expired.

i still have my old toshiba laptop. its about 4 years old and still running great. just not that fast though.

Yes , Tosh are amongst the best of the standard lappys .
Wouldn't touch Dell or HP .
Sony are just overpriced and effectively unsupported after a certain time .

Check out the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge series. I picked up an e520 from bhphoto and it's pretty awesome. Has a 7200 RPM hard drive, which is pretty rare in a laptop.

I'd definitely stay away from HP, mostly because the company is undergoing some weird changes right now and they may be out of the computer business soon. So I'm not sure what their support situation will be like in the future.

And my vote goes for HP laptop. I am using HP laptop from last 3 years and never got any problem expect some software issue which we can handle ourself. Its hardware durability is outstanding and you will get good configuration in the affordable price. So i will suggest to buy HP rather to choose Lenovo or Dell.

Wow... 2 bots in one thread? That's kind of amazing.

Back