New Approach/Thought On Mixing

JoeOsoDopke

Enhanced By Perfect Pitch
When mixing records, it has come to my attention that generally, DJ's are not very musically proficient (eg. Theory, harmony, scales, and chords) and this makes sense, since they don't really need that information in order to control a crowd. However, what if someone, whom had musical experience with such things, were to mix records, not only based on feeling, but on the harmony and melody? This could open a whole new WORLD of harmonic possibilities and increase the legitimacy of the art of dj'ing. How would you like it if someone who played jazz piano, was listening to you scratch, and said "hm, interesting way of harmonizing the scale there son."? But at the same time your friend came up after the show and said "Yo man that shit was bumpin!"
Just a thought. Remember DJ's, you aren't just mixing songs, you are mixing music.

There is a lot of info already out on mixing in key. There are even programs that analyze audio files and attempt to classify them based on key. (mixed in key, beat tunes, mixmeister, there are more that I can't remember.) DJ Tech Tools has a good write up on the harmonic mixing programs.

But I agree that mixing in key has added a completely new level when it comes to my mixing. I don't require every mix to be in key, but I certainly think that sometimes, it adds a lot to the transitions.

Also, in regards to scratching, there is the controller 1 turntable that allows you to manipulate the scratch sample within the harmonic scale. There are some videos on youtube of Greyboy scratching with a mixer that he moves the crossfader up and down in addition to side to side to increase in pitch while scratching sounds.

Lots of advancements in this type of stuff has come and will continue to come I'm sure.

The thing about it is, is that I'm looking at turntables, not so much as a means of playing songs, but of making music.
You shouldn't congratulate a pianist for being in key. You should congratulate them for moving the whole of music forward with their work, and what they created. And what my point is, is that I haven't seen one DJ who desires to move music forward like a musician does. If there was a musically educated DJ who knew more than "My song is in 4/4" or "It's in the key of E" then DJ'ing could be considered a valid form of musical expression (in terms of creating something new)
The Turntable could be seen as a legitimate instrument by those who scoff at the idea of such a thing occurring now!

What about live drumming with a turntable? What about playing the turntable by changing the pitch of the sample? (i.e. using the controller one or some of the other possible ways of manipulating pitch and notes with the sound as I mentioned above)

I think a turntable could possibly be looked at like a mixture of different instruments. You could play the turntable like a percussion instrument or play a piano solo with it or use it to play trumpet samples.

That is the beauty of the turntable but also the limitation. You cannot express a turntable exactly like a trumpet because you cannot process wind through it to differentiate expression. You can use speed/pitch, rhythm, etc...

In my experience, if a person sees the turntable as a illegitimate instrument, you will have a very hard time convincing them otherwise. I'm sure that there are tons of DJs who know a great deal regarding music theory. The musicality of performances on turntables has been forever increasing since someone first starting manipulating the way a record or sound can be played through it. (1980s)

Also in regards to the above point, the piano and guitar have been being played in a somewhat similar form for hundreds of years where as the turntable game has been around for 30 years maybe. That alone will continue to change into the future.

Check Woody's flute routine (in regards to a turntable being used as an instrument) he uses one sample and shifts the pitch to create a beat. [Type 'Woody's Flutine set' into youtube] I saw DJ Krush back in late Janurary for his 20th Anniversary tour...that man has got some serious skills, if anyone is pushing the boundaries of turntable dedicated instrumentation its him. Who else can seemlessly mix the hardest dnb with euphoric shadow/krush beats without the crowd even knowing? Too dope!

When mixing records, it has come to my attention that generally, DJ's are not very musically proficient (eg. Theory, harmony, scales, and chords) and this makes sense, since they don't really need that information in order to control a crowd. However, what if someone, whom had musical experience with such things, were to mix records, not only based on feeling, but on the harmony and melody? This could open a whole new WORLD of harmonic possibilities and increase the legitimacy of the art of dj'ing. How would you like it if someone who played jazz piano, was listening to you scratch, and said "hm, interesting way of harmonizing the scale there son."? But at the same time your friend came up after the show and said "Yo man that shit was bumpin!"
Just a thought. Remember DJ's, you aren't just mixing songs, you are mixing music.

this is the difference between a DJ and a Turntablist

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

The thing about it is, is that I'm looking at turntables, not so much as a means of playing songs, but of making music.
You shouldn't congratulate a pianist for being in key. You should congratulate them for moving the whole of music forward with their work, and what they created. And what my point is, is that I haven't seen one DJ who desires to move music forward like a musician does. If there was a musically educated DJ who knew more than "My song is in 4/4" or "It's in the key of E" then DJ'ing could be considered a valid form of musical expression (in terms of creating something new)
The Turntable could be seen as a legitimate instrument by those who scoff at the idea of such a thing occurring now!

Sorry, I meant to quote this.

If you just play songs, you're a DJ, if you use Turntables to create something new, you are a Turntablist.

Those who scoff at the idea that a Turntablist is a real musician havent ever seen Kid Koala, Tigerstyle, Qbert, Rafik, C2C, etc.

Back