Needs & Decisions for a newbie Producer…???

Chew_Bear

OK…so let’s say that a newbie has finally acquired…

A. Fast/Good computer.
B. Decent Audio Interface.
C. Decent Speakers.
D. A digital audio workstation they can happily call their...MAIN DAW.
E. Decent midi keyboard or controller.
F. And…some “good” sample packs.

What should be the next LOGICAL piece of equipment after “all of the above” has already been acquired…???

Where do you go from here “gear wise” because there is SOO MUCH GEAR out there...its crazy…!?!?!

How does one sift thru all of it and filter out what it is they need and don't need in order to improve their sound/productions/workflow and also for ease of use, intuitiveness and "engaging" so they can actually use that piece of gear to its full potential...and therefore avoid headaches/lost money/time ....???

Is it HARDWARE…?

1. Maybe a couple Drum Machines or Samplers/Sequencer for learning better grooves/rhythm. (Too many to list…)

2. More Control Surfaces/Midi Controllers for faster DAW workflow/control. (Too many to list…)

3. “ALL-IN-ONE” Groove/Sequencer Units for a different approach/workflow. (NI Maschine, Akai MPC, Korg Electribe, Arturia Beatstep, Novation Circuit etc.)

4. Recording Gear (Mics, Mixers, Channel Strips, Preamps etc.)

5. Outboard Gear (FX, Signal Processing/Routing etc.)

6. Synth Modules and modular stand-alone sound/instrument devices (Too many to list…)

7. Keyboard Workstation/Synth/Instrument Combo (Too many to list…)

8. Misc. Accessories (Modular sampler FX units, IPAD etc.)

Is it SOFTWARE
…?

1. More Sample/Sound Libraries to add to the current ones. (Too many to list…)

2. VST/Plugins for more sounds/unique Instruments (Too many to list…)

3. VST/Plugins for Processing and FX (Too many to list…)

UUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHH....Too many choices…It’s confusing!

Last edited:
Looks like you have a bunch of gear. Too many people make the mistake of thinking that gear makes the music for them. No-YOU make the music, the gear is the means you use to express your music. Nothing wrong with being gearhead, though-not everyone is cut out to be a musician.

Things to Acquire for the Aspiring Musician/Producer (that don't cost money, you cheap mf-er's):
1. A brain: Self-explanatory

2. A sense of musicality: Not necessarily musical skill, per se, but a general desire to present a musical idea. Basically-What the Fucc Do You Have to Say? For example, I want to write, perform and arrange jazz music not because I love jazz, but because jazz, for me, is the sound and style of music I hear in my head that I want to express to the world.

3. Artistic initiative and creative confidence: Every so often someone asks, "Help me pick a name", "should I put this snare/drop/lead here?", "Is this the right notes/chord to play?" and other questions that let me know this person is lacking in any sort of creative/artistic initiative. Truly confident creatives do not need to ask such subjective questions. If you lack the ability to pick out something as rudimentary as a name on your own-you've already lost. Nothing wrong with soliciting advice/feedback/wisdom/tips/etc BUT you should have a drive to assert your creativity at all time instead of waiting on/relying on a consensus to tell you what to do.

Last edited:
That depends on entirely what you actually plan on doing man. "groove" isn't exclusive to hardware, can be done with a mouse too but that shit takes more time.
Advantage controllers have is just time reducers.

Overthinking it isn't the way to go.

It looks like you forgot a good pair of headphones on that list. If you are going to make boom bap style hiphop, invest in one of the Drum Broker's kits. I highly recommend Beat Butcha Pure Protein Vol. 5. This is what I have been using for my boom bap drums and they are fantastic. Don't spend money on melodic samples for boom bap. I made that mistake at the beginning and wasted money. You want to sample songs and build the basis of your beats from there. If you are making more contemporary music, invest in some packs that have good melodic kits with presets.

Back