Need Speaker Advice ASAP

The Vizion

Hi guys, I have a question relating speakers. I need advice ASAP though as I am watching an ebay auction which will end today, and depending on your advice I will consider bidding for the product.

Basically, I try to produce music and I listen to a lot of music too. So, I was wondering, can studio monitors, such as the Yamaha HS50M's be used for listening to music all day aswell as making music? Or would 2.1 surround speakers be better suited for me?

Also, how loud can studio monitors get?

My price range is around £200.

Many thanks and please excuse my lack of knowledge about speakers/monitors.

yes, the Yamaha monitors are perfect for your price range, but it realy depends on what you will be doing with them. they are very good for listening, and mixing music, but if you will producing hip hop electronic beats, you may wanna look at some krk rokits.
surround speakers are very, very bad for mixing on, so no...
monitors can get as loud as you want them to be, but you may want to turn them down to a very comfortable volume. You need your ears to make music, so don't hurt them.

you will also need 2 1/4" audio wires to connect them to your interface.

hope this helps

yes, the Yamaha monitors are perfect for your price range, but it realy depends on what you will be doing with them. they are very good for listening, and mixing music, but if you will producing hip hop electronic beats, you may wanna look at some krk rokits.
surround speakers are very, very bad for mixing on, so no...
monitors can get as loud as you want them to be, but you may want to turn them down to a very comfortable volume. You need your ears to make music, so don't hurt them.

you will also need 2 1/4" audio wires to connect them to your interface.

hope this helps

Thanks for your response. Rokits are out of my price range I'm afraid but I've heard the Yamahas are amazing. The volume I was looking for was enough to blast out my room when I'm lying in bed or maybe when no-one is at home I would like to blast out my house. I currently own a 20 RMS speaker which is very loud. Also, I was looking to connect the new speakers into my computer.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. Rokits are out of my price range I'm afraid but I've heard the Yamahas are amazing. The volume I was looking for was enough to blast out my room when I'm lying in bed or maybe when no-one is at home I would like to blast out my house. I currently own a 20 RMS speaker which is very loud. Also, I was looking to connect the new speakers into my computer.

ummmmmm they are the same price. the krks are 200 per speaker, 400 in total, and that is the same with the Yamahas

Studio moniters have a flat response. They are designed so that you can mix your music and have it sound similar in a variety of speakers. Regular speakers are designed to enhance music and alot of times distort the sound by increasing different frequencies. I personally would not use my moniters for casually listening to music. They are kinda expensive and would rather save them for when i need them. But consider this. You can listen to regular music through your moniters, but you cant do a mix on regular speakers. I mean you can but you will not get an accurate mix. So i would go with the moniters first.

I'd prefer the Yamaha's over the KRK rokits anyways.

I would actually say the opposite. Though this all depends on your recording environment. If you have a small space those rokits should be solid. I'm using the KRK VXT8's and love them.

Its not the VXT's we are comaring though. I agree the VXTs are sweet, but comparing the rokits to the Yamahas, it's a clear choice when comparing the sound side by side. As for listening environment you can also tune your room to be flat with ARC 2

Its not the VXT's we are comaring though. I agree the VXTs are sweet, but comparing the rokits to the Yamahas, it's a clear choice when comparing the sound side by side. As for listening environment you can also tune your room to be flat with ARC 2

Nice didn't know that, then I would have to alter my opinion above.

Totally agree with you then.

Back