Need some help with serious drop-outs when recording the microphone...

thesnowman

What up FP members! I am completely new to recording music, having been a DJ for many years (almost a natural progression I guess).

I am setting up my home studio and am having some problems. I purchased a firewire interface (the Edirol FA-101) and when I try to record into Cubase 5, I get serious drop-outs like every 3 seconds. At first I was getting crackles and pops along with the drop-outs, but then I did some things to my PC to optimize it, and the crackles and pops are gone, but I still get the drop-outs.

So after doing some research online, everyone suggested that you should have a firewire card with a TI chipset, so I purchased a Firewire 800 card, and I am STILL having the drop-outs!! I have tried replacing the drivers to unibrain, TI, everything!!! I just did a test in Adobe Audition, and the mic records flawlessly, recording through the same interface.. Is Cubase the problem? And again, it only happens to the vocal track.

My system: Windows 7 64 bit, 8GB RAM, Cakewalk MA-15D digital monitors, Cubase 5, Edirol FA-101

Laptop or desktop? I assume desktop. What are your settings for asio and in your DAW?

You didn't really say what did you actually do to "optimize" your PC, but the answer to the problem should most likely lie in raising the buffer size for the FA-101.

Yes it is a desktop and currently and I have changed the buffer a number of times. I optimized it by disabling the Aero, my wireless card, indexing, etc. The Edirol only lets me slide a knob for the buffer size and choose Small, Normal, or Large for Asio. When I slide the knob to smallest, the input latency is 4 ms, in the middle, it is 13 ms, and 20 ms for large. It strange, since the lights on my Edirol are telling me that there is an input signal and it works in Audition.

Also, it looks like the waveform is recording in Cubase on that track, the drop-outs are occurring when I am monitoring the recording and on playback. At least I believe it is actually recording the track, as it appears to do so visually.

---------- Post added at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

Ok, I exported the track to see if maybe it actually recorded normally, since I could see the waveform, and I can still hear the drop-outs on the exported track.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

bump....

any suggestions?

---------- Post added 04-03-2011 at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-01-2011 at 10:33 PM ----------

Some additional information...When I turn up the sensitivity on the FA-101, the drop outs decrease, but then I am getting a lot of feedback. Again, works perfect at low sensitivity in Audition and other inputs (line level and such) record fine. Does anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I have already installed the Legacy FW drivers. Also, it absolutely must be a Cubase issue, since it works in Audition AND it works in Ableton, on the same machine with the same drivers. So I have to try to figure this out or upgrade to Cubase 6.

Back