Need help with room treatment

ShockTactix

The Producer
Hi guys, my room gives off that annoying high pitched clicky reverb that makes producing a nightmare, I don't know much about acoustic treatment so here's a few pictures of my room and I'm hoping that someone could point me in the right direction to solve my issue (whether it is speaker placement or if I need to purchase anything to make the irritating sound go away

photo (3).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto (1).JPG

Cheers

room dimensions are far more important than room contents to begin with

Height? at lowest point and highest point.
Width? of floor and the highest point in the ceiling
Length?

that small parallel ceiling surface (to the floor) is your real problem and is what is causing the flutter echoes you are complaining about. Simple diffusion treatment across this surface will eliminate most of those problems

Last edited:
room dimensions are far more important than room contents to begin with

Height? at lowest point and highest point.
Width? of floor and the highest point in the ceiling
Length?

that small parallel ceiling surface (to the floor) is your real problem and is what is causing the flutter echoes you are complaining about. Simple diffusion treatment across this surface will eliminate most of those problems

So the width would be across, or diagonal?

if I wanted diagonal measurements I would have asked for Diagonal - I could calculate the required dimensions given sufficiently accurate measurement of the diagonal and using the length, but that is tedious when it is much easier to measure the width of the room.

Width is the shortest dimension of the floor or ceiling component under consideration - we are thinking in terms of the rectangular dimensions of the room.

Ok cool. I think it was the way you worded it made me confused a bit. Got it.
And any contents at all in a room should have no affect on the reverberation, such as ShockTactix tile and sink?
Wow, I just got rid a bookshelf for no reason lol.

Getting rid of a bookcase is probably not a good idea - if it is properly filled with books it is an ideal absorptive and diffusive surface/cavity with variable frequency response - each book is a different height and different width (and different mass) causing there to be multiple resonant freqs for absorption and diffusion....

The sink is an issue only at the level of the materials and any reflections that it may encourage. The tile has a similar issue - it is my guess that neither can be removed and must be left where they are (simple mechanics really) some rearrangement of other things may help, but there is not much space to move the collapsible wardrobe or anything else to.

Floor layout in terms of a floor plan is going to be far more informative than photos, which may distort locations.

A room impulse taken at different listening points will also help.

The cause of the bad flutter echo is the parallel surface of the ceiling and the floor.

Last edited:
If you buy those Auralex sound pads for monitors, they offer you a free room treatment consultation type-thing. I haven't done it myself so don't take my word for it, but the pads do work wonders themselves. As for the rest of the room, just put things all over the walls. Blankets, tapestries, whatever just don't leave any wall exposed.

Getting rid of a bookcase is probably not a good idea - if it is properly filled with books it is an ideal absorptive and diffusive surface/cavity with variable frequency response - each book is a different height and different width (and different mass) causing there to be multiple resonant freqs for absorption and diffusion....

The sink is an issue only at the level of the materials and any reflections that it may encourage. The tile has a similar issue - it is my guess that neither can be removed and must be left where they are (simple mechanics really) some rearrangement of other things may help, but there is not much space to move the collapsible wardrobe or anything else to.

Floor layout in terms of a floor plan is going to be far more informative than photos, which may distort locations.

A room impulse taken at different listening points will also help.

The cause of the bad flutter echo is the parallel surface of the ceiling and the floor.

Yes, In this case One of the first things I would recommend would to get some absorption panels on the sloped ceiling. You need to kill the reflections there as much as you can.

Thanks for the tips guys, I temporarily nailed a duvet to the sloped ceiling and it helped it quite a bit. Sounds like that is the major issue.

Thanks for the tips guys, I temporarily nailed a duvet to the sloped ceiling and it helped it quite a bit. Sounds like that is the major issue.

Yes, I would always recommend some thin acoustic panels for a sloped ceiling to dampen the reflections. That is why you see a difference with even just a duvet

Back