Need help with Low pass filter

DJ Alkemy

I want to add a low pass filter on a sample that I have. I currently use Reason 5 but have Cubase and Audition. I basically want to beef up the bass that runs through a sample that I have chopped up and replayed so it brings out a bassier sound. I am terrible at making my own basslines so I need to nail down this technique. How can I do this within Reason or the other software programs?

A lowpass doesn't necessarily make a sample "more bassy" since it only removes the higher frequencies above the cutoff point (although the resonance can boost the freqs at the, well, same point). It can make it perceivably bassier since you wouldn't have much anything else left though :)

Anyway, in Reason you could use the dedicated filter module (the ECF-42) or run it through one of the synths that have audio input (at least Malström and Thor), as described in here.

Cubase and Audition both support VSTs so you can use pretty much any filter plugin you want; at least Cubase comes with some built in, dunno about Audition.

A lowpass doesn't necessarily make a sample "more bassy" since it only removes the higher frequencies above the cutoff point (although the resonance can boost the freqs at the, well, same point). It can make it perceivably bassier since you wouldn't have much anything else left though :)

Anyway, in Reason you could use the dedicated filter module (the ECF-42) or run it through one of the synths that have audio input (at least Malström and Thor), as described in here.

Cubase and Audition both support VSTs so you can use pretty much any filter plugin you want; at least Cubase comes with some built in, dunno about Audition.

Yeah, I ended up using Cubase and just putting a sub bass filter on the sample and it brought out the bass real nice.

Back