Need help with dj set up

mmahan40

Here is the deal:

I'm looking to get started DJ'ing in the near future.

I mainly want to mix mp3s and do a bit of scratching

I am planning on using torq because I also produce hip hop beats and want the added functionality of rewire that it offers. I am considering buying the m-audio xponent because it seems to include everything that I would need to get started.

I will be buying a laptop that will be dedicated to music only, probably a macbook or comparable PC.

My issue with this set up is that I can not use the exponent to record samples from vinyl. At this point it is looking like the best option may be to just use xponent for djing and then buy a separate turntable to record vinyl from.

I am also concerned about the way that a midi controller will perform in comparison to vinyl as far as feel goes. I have not had the opportunity to try out either yet.

I was wondering if any of you might have an alternative suggestion. My budget for a turntable based setup would be $600-800. I would want to be able to use this for a while and upgrade it eventually if there is a need.

I am also planning on investing in a PA and some lights so that I can do some paid as well as promote my own music.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back