Need Help Starting Up...

Fsag414

Hey Guys I'm as new to this game as you can get. I currently own the Akai MPK49 and hopefully the Akai MPC Renaissance will be on the way soon. My question for you guys is what's the best software for a beginner like me? I am currently playing around with the software that came along with the MPK49 "Ableton Live 8" but I am still finding it a bit difficult to use due to my inexperience in this field. Another question I have is since I already have the MPK49 and The Renaissance is on the way, what other equipment do I need? I intend to just make beats on this for now, not interested in adding on vocals or live instruments just yet but for now it's strictly just beat making and sampling. So whatever you experienced guys know please share with me to make this more enjoyable for me because right now I am playing around and researching how to do stuff and I feel like I'm way in over my head but I don't want to give up because I really want to learn. If your in the Los Angeles area maybe you can recommend an institution or a program where I can enroll in to gain more experience and knowledge.

I can tell you right now that if you're finding Ableton difficult, the Renaissance has just about the same degree of difficulty. Go ahead and buckle down and learn Abelton. There are a lot of tutorials on YouTube for it. DAW's are a must-learn.

Ok so I'll stick with that for now then. How can I add more sounds to the current existing sounds? Do I buy like kits online? And I tried recording a simple track but for some reason it won't play it back is it because I don't have speakers connected to my MPK49 even though I do get a little sound from my laptop?

Sounds like the next thing you need to purchase is an Audio Interface. You don't have one do you? There should be a lot of sounds that you can use in Abelton. Your MPK-49 is a midi controller. It produces no sounds on it's own. I suggest that you go to the Getting Started section of this forum and read as much as possible. Any question you may have can be answered there. Good luck!

Hey man! Welcome to the forum and nice that you started producing :D !!!

I am currently producing for over a year and I do not use any midi controllers or extra gear. Just the usual keyboard and mouse and normal computer speakers, in ear speakers and car speakers. I started off with Ableton 8 (Now I am using Ableton 9, basically they are almost the same but I think Ableton 9 works better for me). To be honest, the first time I used Ableton I did not understand anything and had no clue. But I kept using it and now I understand a lot. The only problem is that you have many many possibilities with Ableton and you can do a lot! Which means that I did not discover everything in Ableton yet.

One advice I can give is : Just do it, I think it does not matter which DAW you use or the equipment you have, just try and you will definitely find your way!

I started a thread yesterday, you can check it here https://www.futureproducers.com/for...roducing-journey-journey-edm-producer-473308/

I completely agree with Xplozivetoyz as well! This forum helped me alot, just look at the getting started section!

Last edited:
Itsatrap,
Nice greeting! That's what I like to see here! Encouragement and positivity! That's how everyone should treat each other!
You sound like a young man that has his head on straight! I listened to some of your stuff and have to say, "Nice Job!" You prove that it's not the equipment, but the man behind the equipment! Keep up the good work! Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice man I'm going to stick with Ableton for now and just try my hardest to make it work. I really want to put time and effort into this but for now I think the first step is to just read and learn about the software and then hopefully I can take of from there. Just one thing I was stuck on when it comes to recording do I need a audio interface or is the laptop enough?

Ideally you'd want an interface so that you can get some proper monitors, but you don't have to do so, which itsatrap and others have proved. I don't work that way, but there are plenty that do. Without an interface I don't think you'll be able to use your 49 without latency problems. I'm not 100 % sure about, but I think I'm right. At least try to get some decent headphones to monitor with.

Thanks for the reaction XploZiveToyz! :). Well Fsag414, XploZiveToyz is right. An audio interface with monitors will really improve your work. I bought the sennheiser hd280 and they are fine for now, when I have the money I will directly jump over to monitors. But just start, you do not need equipment to start, they will only help you in the process. Just do it man :) Good luck!!

When it comes to good headphones I have the 24K Monster which are OKAY but I also have the Beats PRO which are way more sharper. I'm getting the right sound from them. But the only issue I'm having right now is with recording I press the record button and lay something down but when I try and play it back I get nothing which I found very weird.

Back