Need Help Please.Im Confused as Fuucckkk..

thegold12

so a lot of people are telling me I should switch to pro tools cause im limited in reason.there saying how the mixing and mastering sucks in reason.how pro tools is industry standard and if I want to go big with this I should switch but I already learned so much in reason I don't want to drop it to jump into pro tools which Is a waaaaayyyyy steeper learning curve then reason and takes way longer to get to the position I want to be in.Give me your honest about what I should do??cause I don't want to continue on reason if im going to have to convert to pro tool in order to do more things in the end.

Last edited:
I use reason and cubase and resent that I may have to learn protools next year (going back to school to upgrade my quals)

that said I can do just about anything with reason including mastering - not that reason should be used for mastering (different tools and different functions in mastering vs mixing) but it can be done if you know what you are doing.

One of the other moderators has all but abandoned protools to use reason exclusively. He talks it up extensively here at fp. And he is a seasoned industry pro, so I'd listen to him more than a lot of others who think they know because they are being taught something at school

2 cents+

You can use any DAW to mix and master. The reason why people tell people Pro Tools is the industry standard... is because it is.... If you're working from home and doing your own mixing and your own mastering then your good. Go with what you know and if you decide to ever transition into protools then do it. It all comes down to what you want to do and feel comfortable doing. Good Luck

One of the other moderators has all but abandoned protools to use reason exclusively. He talks it up extensively here at fp. And he is a seasoned industry pro, so I'd listen to him more than a lot of others who think they know because they are being taught something at school

2 cents+

They don't tell me which DAWS to like at school, they teach you all of them and give you the choice..Its not that you cant do just about anything in reason. Its that if you're using Pro Tools right and taking advantage of all the shortcuts it completely eliminates this 'workflow' issue everyone has. Its just that no one is interested in memorizing all the shortcuts, let alone learning the daw.

I hate the term industry standard, it couldn't have less to do with why I like it. And it certainly isn't because they are teaching me it in school. Like I've said more than once before. I was as biased about learning Pro Tools as you are going into it. Reason and Ableton had their chance, Pro Tools won. School had nothing to do with that. Pro Tools did. Even right out of the package Ableton and Reason look like you pulled them from the bottom of a box of cereal. And thats just a cosmetic issue, not to say are fisher price daws, they just look like it. Its a problem right from the start for me.

Ive also heard reason be referred to as a drag n drop DAW over Pro Tools. On that note I cant think of anything that I can do in Reason that I cant do in Pro Tools by dragging and dropping OR substituting the drag and drop for a 1 click multi key shortcut. Automation is (which most don't know about) all one click in pro tools. Complicated shortcuts involving like 3-4 keys at once throughout the whole process but they're easy to remember. Pro Tools is all about the learning curve. Obviously there are exceptions like deranged but I'm convinced if you actually know the daws
AND shortcuts(always 3+ ways to do the same thing in pro tools) its hard to not go with Pro Tools.

Have more and more people everyday in class who have used ableton their whole life switching over to Pro Tools. Its not all new people in class, there are tons of experienced opinions being thrown around everyday.

Last edited:
I had people telling me to make a similar switch and when you check out the forums it's ridiculous how many people think pro tools is the only tool! Several of the top guys in the industry have said that although there are differences in workflow, etc, all the daws essentially do the same thing. I'm sure you would pick it up pretty quickly if you did switch because a lot of the knowledge is transferable, but I've noticed it's the little subtle tricks you pick up along the way in any daw that are hard to replace. So obviously a combination of both of the daws would be ideal, but ain't nobody got time for dat! Stick to what you know, continuing to build on that, and it'll pay off in much less time.

Lol personally I find Reason more confusing then pro tools. I'd still rather use reason though, something about pro tools just looks boring to me and kills my mood

They don't tell me which DAWS to like at school, they teach you all of them and give you the choice..Its not that you cant do just about anything in reason. Its that if you're using Pro Tools right and taking advantage of all the shortcuts it completely eliminates this 'workflow' issue everyone has. Its just that no one is interested in memorizing all the shortcuts, let alone learning the daw.

I hate the term industry standard, it couldn't have less to do with why I like it. And it certainly isn't because they are teaching me it in school. Like I've said more than once before. I was as biased about learning Pro Tools as you are going into it. Reason and Ableton had their chance, Pro Tools won. School had nothing to do with that. Pro Tools did. Even right out of the package Ableton and Reason look like you pulled them from the bottom of a box of cereal. And thats just a cosmetic issue, not to say are fisher price daws, they just look like it. Its a problem right from the start for me.

Ive also heard reason be referred to as a drag n drop DAW over Pro Tools. On that note I cant think of anything that I can do in Reason that I cant do in Pro Tools by dragging and dropping OR substituting the drag and drop for a 1 click multi key shortcut. Automation is (which most don't know about) all one click in pro tools. Complicated shortcuts involving like 3-4 keys at once throughout the whole process but they're easy to remember. Pro Tools is all about the learning curve. Obviously there are exceptions like deranged but I'm convinced if you actually know the daws
AND shortcuts(always 3+ ways to do the same thing in pro tools) its hard to not go with Pro Tools.

Have more and more people everyday in class who have used ableton their whole life switching over to Pro Tools. Its not all new people in class, there are tons of experienced opinions being thrown around everyday.

your quote is removing context.

not all schools will take the time to teach or expose their students to all daws - there is no value in doing that when they are targeting a specific marketplace. I sat through a pre-offer interview where I was told they would make me do an intro to electronic music class so that I could be taught how to use pro-tools. My response give me a list of things that I must achieve by the end of the semester in that class and I can test out in a day (3 hour session I think I said) after a weekend of working with it (PT) - and I was taken at my word, not because of my age, but because I was sincere in my belief that my use of cubase and reason and many other pieces of sw in the sequencer/daw ilk over more than 30 years is sufficient for me to acquire the "new" skills to make PT work!

your argument has the conviction of somewhat recently converted without years of experience in any other format.

pro-tools is the so-called industry standard because it was the first daw to infiltrate the higher education (post-high-school) market and, as with most proprietary software/hardware combinations, once established it is hard for institutions to let go of that not insignificant investment: Pro-tools pioneered the subscription model for audio software with its tie in to specific hardware for the software to work.

Any 1-click key combination that pro-tools has any other daw can acquire as well if the user is willing to spend the initial time configuring them or to investigate what is already set-up in their daw of choice

beyond that it is an argument of religious or political proportions and best left to devotees and converts to proselytise the unbelievers

your quote is removing context.

not all schools will take the time to teach or expose their students to all daws - there is no value in doing that when they are targeting a specific marketplace. I sat through a pre-offer interview where I was told they would make me do an intro to electronic music class so that I could be taught how to use pro-tools. My response give me a list of things that I must achieve by the end of the semester in that class and I can test out in a day (3 hour session I think I said) after a weekend of working with it (PT) - and I was taken at my word, not because of my age, but because I was sincere in my belief that my use of cubase and reason and many other pieces of sw in the sequencer/daw ilk over more than 30 years is sufficient for me to acquire the "new" skills to make PT work!

your argument has the conviction of somewhat recently converted without years of experience in any other format.

pro-tools is the so-called industry standard because it was the first daw to infiltrate the higher education (post-high-school) market and, as with most proprietary software/hardware combinations, once established it is hard for institutions to let go of that not insignificant investment: Pro-tools pioneered the subscription model for audio software with its tie in to specific hardware for the software to work.

Any 1-click key combination that pro-tools has any other daw can acquire as well if the user is willing to spend the initial time configuring them or to investigate what is already set-up in their daw of choice

beyond that it is an argument of religious or political proportions and best left to devotees and converts to proselytise the unbelievers

They're using Pro Tool as the primary DAW for the electronic music class? yah thats nothin like here. Electronic music is reason and ableton then Pro Tools has its own specific class. So they actually encourage us to use one of the 2 for electronic, but i still prefer PT..all preference tho I see what you're saying.

Last edited:
Back