Need help comping Speech Greetings in Logic Pro

adamwbenjamin

Hello, all. This is my first post on the forums so I hope i've found the right place! Nice to meet you all. I am a pro vocalist that does freelance work on the side, and have gotten myself into doing simple audio editing gigs in addition to songwriting.

I just received a freelance gig where i'm essentially asked to splice together voicemail greetings to create the best performance. I'm given 1 audio file with the voicemail's lines repeated 4-5 times in succession. Here's my issue:

I use logic pro x, and as a vocalist who demoes, the quick swipe comping has been awesome... but it really only works if you're singing to a defined rhythm/melody in tempo. From my "amateur at editing" perspective, tempo is needed for clean comping.

With these voicemail greetings, there's no tempo, and sometime a sentence drags on longer than previous takes. I understand how to highlight spliced takes and pack a folder for comping, but it still doesn't solve the problem of not being able to comp takes that don't match up in time perfectly.

Right now my solution is this:
1. Put one take/sentence on it's own track
2. Place the second take (that doesn't exactly match in time) on a track beneath the first.
3. Splice the second take/track up to match phrasing and timing of words in the first take.
4. Now that they somewhat match in time, create a comp folder for quick swipe comping.

Is that the fastest way to do this? Is there some magic I can do with the audio to beat map it or to automatically match the timing of one take to another? Or do I need to have a reference take and splice out of time takes to match before comping?

Thanks so much!
Adam B.

Back