Need Help! choosing Good audio interface for KRK VXT6 Monitors.

Dafwill

Hey what's up guys this is my first post. So i bought some KRK VXT6's to produce Electronic Bass heavy music. As i know nothing about audio interfaces i need help choosing a good one for my situation which is a small room,producing house,VXT6s, just want the audio interface so the monitors could sound better not going to record instruments. Budget is $100 maybe $150 if its worth the jump. Can you also mention the cables i need to hook the audio interface and VXT's to my computer. Thank you in advance for the replys (if i get any)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Appreciate the replies. Was looking at music radars top audio interfaces what do you guys think about the Presonus AudioBox 22VSL. Found one for $139. Is it better than the Scarlett 2I2 in improving the sound quality or should I just stick with the Scarlett. Because all I want the interface for is to get the most out my monitors. Thanks again

Last edited:
You know, I would say you should go with something with more flexibility anyway. I know that you are only looking for something for your monitors, but at some point you probably want to have something else in there like a mic or a midi-something. If you go with something that just and just suits your needs right now, chances are you will end up buying another one anyway. Which to me is a bit silly. Something like the 2i4 instead of 2i2 which doesn't cost THAT much more anyway.. I always try to buy something that I won't have to upgrade every half year.

Last edited:
presonus seems to have a good box , and steer clear away from m audio cause there crackling interface , i suggest something like tascam or what ever they recommend at gc or sw or where ever u buying it from . try it for for a few days and plus most stores have 30 day warranty or 15 on used products so get one that compitable with ur pc thats a must an get something that fits u not know over marketed equipment

Last edited:
Good point wallengard. And mivo is there any reason you use the Scarlett instead of the Steinberg?
I've currently narrowed my options down to three thanks to your guys help:
-Steinberg UR22
-Scarlett 2i2
-Presonus audio box 22

Which one would you guys go with? Any other ones I haven't mentioned you guys recommend are welcome

pre sonus comes with studio 1 and i can vouch for that it has a good quality daw trust ur better off with the sonus an its simple plug play my friend, check out studio 1 teddy riley is a spokesperson , thats what grabd my attention

Last edited:
Good point wallengard. And mivo is there any reason you use the Scarlett instead of the Steinberg?
I've currently narrowed my options down to three thanks to your guys help:
-Steinberg UR22
-Scarlett 2i2
-Presonus audio box 22

Which one would you guys go with? Any other ones I haven't mentioned you guys recommend are welcome

At this price range I would take the Steinberg if you choose between those 3 only. Not that I have any personal experience and I doubt that there'd be any real difference in terms of sound quality between them. Personally I would still save a few bucks and buy the 2i4.

pre sonus comes with studio 1 and i can vouch for that it has a good quality daw trust ur better off with the sonus an its simple plug play my friend, check out studio 1 teddy riley is a spokesperson , thats what grabd my attention

He's looking for an audio interface, not a DAW?

Last edited:
it comes with a daw so kill 2 birds with one stone ,theres nothing wrong with that

If he already has a DAW that he likes then? Do you really need to kill 2 birds if you only want 1?

Scarlett for example comes with a plug-in suite, I think it's about 5 of them. Personally I would rather have more plug-ins than a completely different DAW to work in. Let alone take the time to learn a new DAW.. But that's just me I guess.

Last edited:
I do already have a DAW. Still appreciate the opinion and thought tho. Leaning on the Steinberg as of now. Any one talk me out of it?

I'm sure you will be happy with it if you go with it, especially since you don't really have anything to compare to. And like I mentioned before, it's pretty low end for audio interfaces and you probably couldn't tell any difference between either of the 3, except for the amount of connections they have.

Well as I said, most likely you wouldn't be able to hear any difference in them even if you had all 3 of them and A/B/C'd them for 2 days straight. Might be that one has slightly higher output levels than the other, but sound quality wise I'd bet my ass on them all being virtually the same and the max output level of either would probably be enough to damage your gear.. The pre-amp in the scarlett is supposedly one of the best in that price range, but I wouldn't know as I can't really tell any differences between 1 and another unless you go up real high in price. They are all good for that price range, you can't really go wrong. I would be more concerned about the amount of connections at this point than the minute differences in sound that may or may not even exist.

There are a lot more knowledgeable people on this forum than myself, that has more experience in hardware like this. If you are really unsure you should hang around a little longer and wait for some more input. This is only how I think and what I would do!

Last edited:

No, the only reason was that I didn't know about the Steinberg at the time. It would have been a harder call if I had, but I may still have gotten the Scarlett, because it looks sexier :) (the red, brushed aluminium case is really nice), and I don't need MIDI I/O since my controllers are USB ones. I went with the 2i2 over the 2i4 because I am positive I won't need more plugs than what the 2i2 offers (pair of speakers, headphones, microphone, instrument). If you do believe it's likely that you may need more, the 2i4 would be worth saving up for. The price difference isn't big. The Scarlett also seems generally loved.

Side by side, the Steinberg gives you more bang for the buck (than the 2i2), though, but this is only relevant if the MIDI I/O matters to you. If you may ever need that, I'd get the Steinberg. The reviews and user opinions are all positive, too.

I have no experience with the Presonus AudioBox 22. Is it the 22VSL? A German review at Thomann mentions issues with USB 3.0, so this would be something to check into to see if it's really a problem. It's in a different price category, though.

Yea Scarletts sexy. It's what keeps making me double guess the Steinberg. Gotta keep reminding myself performance over looks. I know this is a noob question as I'm typing it but that monitor knob the Scarlett has. Where is that on the Steinberg.?

Would you guys recommend buying a used one. Would a used one with great external condition work as good as a new one or should I dish out the extra $20 for a $130 brand new unit?

My M-Box 2($500) stopped working after an OS update. I thought new drivers would soon be released(still have not been), so I bought a temporary fix that made me realize I overpaid for my M-Box.

Presonus Audiobox $99(I actually got the combo pack with Studio One Artist, mic and headphones for $199, if you need these things it's worth it, but I don't use any much because I have other options).
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...g&matchtype=&gclid=CK6g5aSwx70CFeRlOgodQGwAjQ
It has everything my M-Box 2 Had to the point I'm not sure i need to ever upgrade, can't picture an interface getting "better" unless you need more inputs or a really good pre which isn't going to be on anything "budget" meaning when you're paying for more inputs, you're just getting more of the same ol' pres. If you're not looking at something for around $600 retail for a channel or 2, the pres won't get much better(could actually be worse). I will say the Scarlett series has just as good pres, so does roland stuff that's $200 more for the same functionality. I have a few amp options including an Avalon M5 I could run mics thru and find no reason with the clients I have coming thru here(not worth the difference in quality to have it getting wear and tear when I can use a few plug ins and EQ and get just as good results).

2 Mic Inputs(XLR and 1/4) w/gain control(sound as good as the M-Box 2, so...yeah, more than professional enough)
48v Phantom power
Midi I/O
Headphone monitoring(that actually sounds better than my M-Box 2, maybe just louder...)
Main Vol knob that you can control your monitor vol from.

Only thing missing is SPDIF I/O which I never used.

Last edited:
Back