NBC Blogger Calls Chief Keef "A Minstrel Show"...But Does He Have A Point?

FeloneusSupremeProd

FP Official Threadkiller
Does this blogger have a point or do you think he is using Chief Keef and unfortunately the Sandy Hook shootings as a way to get attention?

One blogger for NBC may find himself in hot water after he called Chief Keef "a minstrel show."

Whether it's Hip Hop listeners or his fellow Chi-Town emcees, Interscope rapper Chief Keef has been earning some critical disapproval from many members of the industry. Now, however, one blogger has taken his complaints too far by calling Keef's music "a minstrel show." According to a recent report HipHopWired, Edward McClelland, a Caucasian blogger for Chicago NBC 5, recently attacked Chief Keef and the drill music scene in a blog, calling it "a minstrel show." He said that the shootings at the Sandy Hook Elementary School last week moved him to decry the 17-year-old rapper for his violent lyrics. "[F]rom what I've heard of it, is pretty lunkheaded: simplistic rhymes, primitive beats. But it's also a window into the world that has made Chicago the murder capital of America, and that piqued my curiosity," wrote McClelland. "Since last week's murders at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, though, I haven't had the stomach for any violent entertainment…I also don't want to pay $14 for the minstrel show of listening to a real live South Side thug. I don't want to support a scene that makes gangbanging a resume builder for music success."

Last edited:
I mean he obviously has a point, but as a white guy that's a no no to say (minstrel??). Kinda like the word nucca. I'm one of those people that don't condone white folks saying it. my 2 cents.

I mean he obviously has a point, but as a white guy that's a no no to say (minstrel??). Kinda like the word nucca. I'm one of those people that don't condone white folks saying it. my 2 cents.

The internet has granted people the security to say pretty much anything they want. You see it on FP all the time.

Last edited:
if "Real Hip Hoppers" left everybody else in music alone, then music would be fine. not everybody wants to be preached to in their songs.

I have never heard a song by KRS-One, J Dilla, or whoever else is a "legend". but i don't talk about a person who does.

if "Real Hip Hoppers" left everybody else in music alone, then music would be fine. not everybody wants to be preached to in their songs.

I have never heard a song by KRS-One, J Dilla, or whoever else is a "legend". but i don't talk about a person who does.

1st a little preaching is good for Hip Hop. There are ways to convey a message without sounding too preachy. Ice Cube has always done a great job of it. Also how can you have never heard any songs by KRS-One/ Boogie Down Productions? You are not serious are you?

What's wrong with what he said? Keef and his gun-loving ways are exactly what the Obama administration and Congress needs to put an end to the 2nd Amendment. As well as Sandy Hook and other "random acts of one armed gunman mass homicide/suicide violence." There is already a thread about that situation so I won't get in depth with that. The youth and drugs just don't mix. Has Keef ever made a song that has any positive message? Does he take pictures with guns?

What's wrong with what he said? Keef and his gun-loving ways are exactly what the Obama administration and Congress needs to put an end to the 2nd Amendment. As well as Sandy Hook and other "random acts of one armed gunman mass homicide/suicide violence." There is already a thread about that situation so I won't get in depth with that. The youth and drugs just don't mix. Has Keef ever made a song that has any positive message? Does he take pictures with guns?

Seems convenient to use Chief Keef...is he even really that hot now to even mention? Just seems like a ploy for some attention by the blogger. The blogger is from Chicago but did they have any concern for the hundreds of shootings in his own city? Sometimes geographical location makes a big difference in how much or if people really give a damn. Guns are no different than drugs in that respect. I am also 100% pro-gun ownership by the way.

What a f-cking retard

Several severe mental disorders and rare genetic wiring caused a deeply disturbed maniac to shoot children, what the f-ck does this have to do with chief keef ?

Tupac was flashing guns back in the day, hell, in the wild west guns were connected with social status and existed everywhere, don't remember any school shooting from back then

Last edited:
1st a little preaching is good for Hip Hop. There are ways to convey a message without sounding too preachy. Ice Cube has always done a great job of it. Also how can you have never heard any songs by KRS-One/ Boogie Down Productions? You are not serious are you?

nahh i just don't listen to it... my "legends" are Three Six, 8Ball & MJG, Do Or Die, Screwed Up Click,Ice Cube is one of my favorite rappers as well. but you can't judge me on what i choose to listen to and what not to listen to. I grew up on Hypnotize Mindz and No Limit...

nahh i just don't listen to it... my "legends" are Three Six, 8Ball & MJG, Do Or Die, Screwed Up Click,Ice Cube is one of my favorite rappers as well. but you can't judge me on what i choose to listen to and what not to listen to. I grew up on Hypnotize Mindz and No Limit...

Didn't judge at all just seems unlikely that you would never have heard a KRS-One joint. Good list to grow up on so I ain't knockin you.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

What a f-cking retard

Several severe mental disorders and rare genetic wiring caused a deeply disturbed maniac to shoot children, what the f-ck does this have to do with chief keef ?

Tupac was flashing guns back in the day, hell, in the wild west guns were connected with social status and existed everywhere, don't remember any school shooting from back then

It's easier to go at Hip Hop, alway has been. Too much money in Hollywood to go after them. The gaming industry is a billion dollar industry as well. Why not go after them?

Last edited:
Just was listening to My Gear wit Chief and RiFF. I been on a Riff binge. Funny how much he was influenced by Fat Pat and all them SUC members. That's why I enjoy it.

id rather have chief keef rapping, than chief keef on the street.

and thats coming from a dude that knows keef, and kicked it with GBE and all them boys.

I think people just like to use chief keef as a scapegoat for the violence going on in chicago, he was born into a life of violence and gang banging and its all he knows. Your music will always be influenced by whats going on around you so if all keef sees and knows is violence he will rap about violence, he cant rap about flowers and rainbows and whatever else is viewed as "positive" coz thats not what his life is like and if these kids are stupid enough to imitate what he's talking about then them and their parents are to blame for the way they brought up their child. Im also from a gang ridden neighbourhood and im only 15 but i chose not to get sucked into the lifestyle my friends and the people around me joined so if im smart enough to do so these kids should be too.

people ain't never stepped food in the hood, never struggled for shit in their lives, but always got something to say about what a hood cat doing wit the money the hood cat earned. Money is money and it has nobody name on it which means anybody can make it.... People complaining about what we listening to, what we vibing to... i can honestly say it may not have a lyrical presence, but i can feel Lil Boosie, Yo Gotti, 2 Chainz, Chief Keef, and other "minstrel rappers" before any of the cats i see you guys praising on a daily.. I bet if Chief Keef was out in the streets still, nobody would care about his well being. but since he found a way out of the streets, and is feeding his child and family he is a problem? The streets are gonna be the streets with or without Keef in em.. and i'm glad he got out of em, cause its apparent the GBE boys are some goons. If street cat like Yo Gotti shouting you out on his tracks, you ain't no shortcake. Trust Me

While I don't think it's right to call out one act over another when you're talking about crass entertainment, I think it's legit that what some people call "entertainment" can be relatively questionable/vacant/stupid/offensive to some other people. There are just too many different types out there, and too many opinions. Everyone seems to have a problem with something.

Like it or not, Chief Keef is not only making money for himself, but he's generating income for people around him, and across his industry. If he shoots someone or screws up like that, the media will flame him - rightfully so. But I mean, if we want to get back to this lovey-dovey, all-snuggly world we keep talking about, Rap music is one of the last things to worry about, imo. Unless you're talking about overhauling entertainment in general, which also glorifies drugs, drinking, smoking, infidelity, stupidity, speeding, theft, etc...

Last edited:
I feel like a white dude can call a minstrel show a minstrel show if that's how he sees it...

There's two issues at play here though. The violent lyrics argument is garbage because the world is global and only one country keeps having this happen to them. So that argument is mute

However what Keef is doing is a minstrel show. I feel like the kid is sincere with his lyrics and persona but the people around him, his label, and grown ass family men with 9 to 5s shouldn't be supporting this crap. I see why the youth in Chicago support but everyone else is just indulging him in becoming a train wreck. We won't stop allowing him to act out until he's shot or in jail. He doesn't know better but the white execs at inter scope could help him but all that matters is the money

The blogger is from Chicago but did they have any concern for the hundreds of shootings in his own city?

The same thing I said when Joakim Noah said he wont do he his gun celebration after making a shot because of the Sandy Hook shootings. Joakim been a Chicago Bull since 2007

2007: 448
2008: 513
2009: 459
2010: 436
2011: 433
2012: 491(to date)

all these murders weren't by guns but still....

Is the music ignorant? Yes. Is Chief Keef a bad role model? Yes. Does Chief Keef represent a real and very impactful part of society? Yes. We have clearly seen Chief Keef is about that life. That blogger is the same guy that would applaud how good Snow In Tha Bluff is in the same breath.

what trouble is Chief Keef getting into since his stardom? i will wait for an answer

Chief Keef Probation Hearing Delayed | News | BET

that was just as of yesterday. And its saying he violated probation which means he's had prior charges he had to deal with. Not too mention that little issue with showing his junk on twitter, while with some female. He's a minor and who knows if the female was so thats not legal either.

but the point is thats just the issues for now, You can't be that blatant about that lifestyle and not let it catch up too you, especially if your 16 with no Grown ass man stepping in to be a role model of some type and you haven't suffered any repercussions from it yet.

Hell even Wayne had Birdman.

Back