My Studio

JonesTrance

www.jones.draignet.com
Consider this thread as somewhat of a blog, a studio project which will develop over time. Right now my equipment is incredibly minimal, but still effective as a beginning producer.

Equipment

Computer Specs:
Windows 7, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6 CPU, 1TB HDD, 300gb External HDD.

Hardware:
Alesis Q49 Midi Controller

Software:
DAWs

Cubase 5
FL Studio 10
Reason

VSTi/Plugins
Absynth 4
arcDev Mainliner x2
Battery 3
Glitch
Drumatic 3
East West Orchestra Gold
FM8
Hydra
Kontakt 5
Massive
MicroTonic
Nexus 2
East West Symphonic Choirs
Sylenth1
Synplant
Vanguard
Z3TA+2

Future Plans

This weekend I'm picking up an old shelving unit from a friend. I will be modifying the panels to create a new workstation specific to my studio. The monitor will be raised higher to allow for a second midi controller keyboard, which will also be raised slightly higher, and on a slight angle so I may change to a different controller without moving any of them around. Holes will be drilled into the workstation to allow for 2 poles, in which a set of studio monitors will be able to sit upon. The poles I will probably make from a 1 inch wood curtain rail, and make holes going through the pole to allow for height adjust-ability.
As said before with the second midi controller keyboard, right now I have a 49 key controller, but some times I need the extra keys when playing certain things live. I know you can record one bit then the other but I'm fussy and stubborn, and I want extra keys. I have the Alesis Q49 right now which I really like, as it's basic and doesn't take up too much space, so chances are I'll probably get the Alesis Q61.

Also planned is some decent headphones. These will probably be the first bit of hardware I buy. I'm not after really expensive ones, as their main purpose is to do my producing with them at night time when people are in bed, and I can do the mastering during the day when I'm able to use the speakers.

In terms of speakers, I have my eyes on the Alesis M1Active 320 USBs (You can probably tell by now I'm going with Alesis for hardware). I would have gone for the 520's but they're £165 compared to the 320's which are only £80 delivered, and should still do a fantastic job for mastering.

Pictures:

615241_10151142187030563_325674138_o.jpg
291480_10151142186990563_1122887822_o.jpg

Last edited:
First thing I'd do is get some studio monitors in there because there's no way you can do a proper mix or master using those cheap things. Good pair of headphones is also a good idea. I rely on them quite a bit, since my room acoustics are shit.

I've been watching Studio Rescue on YouTube, you might wanna check it out. I wouldn't bother watching every episode as he more or less does the exact same thing every episode. He goes to houses and helps people set up their bedroom in such a way that they have the right set up for mastering through monitors.

First thing I'd do is get some studio monitors in there because there's no way you can do a proper mix or master using those cheap things. Good pair of headphones is also a good idea. I rely on them quite a bit, since my room acoustics are shit.

I would second this and say monitors are always a good early purchase.

Definitely a nice start so far. Like everyone else said, I would recommend your next purchase being a nice pair of studio monitors.

get 3 things and your mixes will improve drastically - monitors, audio interface, and headphones. Plus my recommendation is- stick to 2-3 plugins and master them in and out... instead of using 15 and using presets.

I don't use all 15, mainly just Nexus. But some of them are good for getting different sounds. I'm not a huge fan of presets, I try to adjust the sounds to the best of my abilities.

Back