My secret: Equalizing with harmonics

Maybe he means to say 90Hz is the dominate frequency rather than the fundamental.
That maybe true, however that does not explain the reference of undertones in his examples.

Like I said before, it seems to me a really smart guy came up with his own way to understand audio phenomena. And I get that, especially at the student level. I can dig that but it is technically wrong.

It is all reminiscent of Victor Wooten clinics, seriously!

What the #¤% do you mean by "understand audio phenomena"? How do you even define audio phenomena? This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

However, this is where you and I disagree.
You believe the fundamental frequency to be the lowest frequency because you think of what we call "harmonic series". But that's not what I am talking about. If what you are saying was true, that the lowest freq is the fundamental then, the fundamental of a kick drum would be much lower than 45Hz, probably as low as 25-30Hz. But where you fail to explain yourself is why e.g 90Hz or 45Hz has major peaks compared to the rest of the frequency spectrum. This is why I say that the highest peak of a constant sound is the fundamental frequency.

I think this is where you confuse, the fundamental is indeed the first frequency in a harmonic series but, that does not mean that it has to be the lowest. When you read about this, the fundamental will always be defined as the lowest frequency because we talk about the lowest frequency of harmonic series. But the harmonic series does not cover the entire frequency spectrum.

When I first wrote this post I didn't think that most of you would refer to harmonics as harmonic series, because most people don't know about that stuff. But now I realized that I should have explained harmonic series in terms of music instrument timbres as well...

I have no idea where you got your information from. But when you read or learn about something you have to know the context.

You are 100% right about the fundamental being the lowest freq in a harmonic series, but for the last time, that is not what we are talking about because that would exclude the fact that all recorded sounds generates over and undertones which is a phenomena in acoustics. I could go in detail of how this works but, the point still remains, that you will have undertones of any recorded instrument. Whether you wish to use that undertone/subharmonic frequency s entirely up to you man.

You two are both correct, but partiality of the matter can only go to one side.....only due to the the fact the op is the one who made the example, not HakimCallier, therefore partiality in the matter goes to nine09 (of course had HakimCallier been the op he would have been the one to provide the example and also be correct)

"When a string vibrates, the main pitch you hear is from the vibration of the whole string back and forth. That is the fundamental, or first harmonic. But the string also vibrates in halves, in thirds, fourths, and so on. Each of these fractions also produces a harmonic. The string vibrating in halves produces the second harmonic; vibrating in thirds produces the third harmonic, and so on."

"A harmonic series can have any note as its fundamental, so there are many different harmonic series. But the relationship between the frequencies of a harmonic series is always the same. The second harmonic always has exactly half the wavelength (and twice the frequency) of the fundamental; the third harmonic always has exactly a third of the wavelength (and so three times the frequency) of the fundamental, and so on."

They are both one in the same, but as nine09 said "its based on the context of the situation....

-CruX

Last edited:
What the #¤% do you mean by "understand audio phenomena"? How do you even define audio phenomena? This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

However, this is where you and I disagree.
You believe the fundamental frequency to be the lowest frequency because you think of what we call "harmonic series". But that's not what I am talking about. If what you are saying was true, that the lowest freq is the fundamental then, the fundamental of a kick drum would be much lower than 45Hz, probably as low as 25-30Hz. But where you fail to explain yourself is why e.g 90Hz or 45Hz has major peaks compared to the rest of the frequency spectrum. This is why I say that the highest peak of a constant sound is the fundamental frequency.

I think this is where you confuse, the fundamental is indeed the first frequency in a harmonic series but, that does not mean that it has to be the lowest. When you read about this, the fundamental will always be defined as the lowest frequency because we talk about the lowest frequency of harmonic series. But the harmonic series does not cover the entire frequency spectrum.

When I first wrote this post I didn't think that most of you would refer to harmonics as harmonic series, because most people don't know about that stuff. But now I realized that I should have explained harmonic series in terms of music instrument timbres as well...

I have no idea where you got your information from. But when you read or learn about something you have to know the context.

You are 100% right about the fundamental being the lowest freq in a harmonic series, but for the last time, that is not what we are talking about because that would exclude the fact that all recorded sounds generates over and undertones which is a phenomena in acoustics. I could go in detail of how this works but, the point still remains, that you will have undertones of any recorded instrument. Whether you wish to use that undertone/subharmonic frequency s entirely up to you man.

Ok, now I definitely get it lol. Btw, I definitely liked the results!

Thanks again you two...no matter what the correct terms are...I'm not one for jargon and theory. I'm for results and your posts delivered results I'm looking for. Thanks again.

Back