MY MBOX2 KEEPS CRASHING MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!!! CAN someone help??

D.cakes

I've searched many forums for the solutions but none pertained to Windows 7. I have the correct and most up to date driver installed for mbox2 to be used on Windows 7...and It will work fine for a day or two....and then it crashes my computer. I get the Blue screen. I have no idea how to resolve this or what is the cause, does anyone have expertise on this matter? You'd be a godsend. Thanks in advance!!

Not an expert at Mbox2 at all, but I understand the working around it considering how I had an older computer and literally had to configure almost every aspect of the driver's options to work to full functionality on my computer. Could you please list your Computer Speculations? If you're not too familiar with how that works you could either grab some software such as 'CPU-Z' or have yourself press the Windows Key (which is that windows flag logo type key between CTRL and ALT and under Z.) and type in "dxdiag" into the text box provided. It'll list the bare-bone speculations and if you go to the Display tab it'll even recognize your video card, even though that isn't the least bit relevant it's good to know. If you have any other ways of finding everything then feel free to use them as long has they show your Soundcard / Soundcard Driver, Processor / Speed and your RAM it should be good enough to work with but anything extra is good as well.

Thanks for the quick response: here are the specs, I hope its enough to assist, let me know if you need more information. ASUS SYSTEM MODEL: U52F Processor: lntel (R) core (TM) i3 CPM M 380 2.53 GHz (4 CPUs) ~2.5 GHz Memory: 4096 MB RAM DRIVERS (sound 1): Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Name: RTKVHD64.sys version: 6.00.0001.6110 (English) DRIVERS (SOUND 2): Digidesign name: dgmbx2.sys version: 8.00.0004.0363 (English) My apologies for the format, Im new too this site, im finding it difficult to space properly in these text boxes ;s

We'll it's all fine, anyways, your computer seems to be relatively well built. Sure enough, you should be able to run perfectly. See the thing about Mbox2 is that, unless you have the 100% correct driver, you're more then likely going to blue screen, for example did you grab the Mbox2 Family Drivers? Now, seeing how I don't know exactly WHEN this happens I couldn't really help out as of right now. So maybe a bit of an explanation of how and when does it actually crash. That would help. Is it crashing when you start your DAW, when you play audio or when you plug it in via USB? How is this crashing, is it crashing directly from you using it, does it crash after a while or is crashing after you press any buttons on the Mbox2?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, well so far..it crashes the same way every time.

i'll have everything going great, no problems for about two days approximately, then randomly....one random time, I will simply wake up my computer from sleep mode...and instead of just smoothly waking up as it should.....BAM, blue screen.

and then oddly enough, every time after I get the blue screen, the driver is somehow uninstalled from my computer after that, and I have to re install the driver again, in order to use my MBOX2 again...because i Want to make music, I've just been repeating that process, but I don't feel like it is healthy for my computer.

First, I would stop leaving PT on while you're not using it. That can cause a lot of problems in software performance.

Also, it's a good idea after every update, every time you install new software, every time you add new hardware...after every significant change you make to your PC, shut down and power back up again. This is a good rule of thumb for all pc users.

Peace.

I've been on a Mac a while, but if I remember correctly, on PC I couldn't get audio to play from anything except Pro Tools from time to time. It would also Blue Screen if unplugged and replugged(I think). I remember fixing this by completely uninstalling drivers, then installing the latest ones. Even if it's the one I just had installed.

Hope that helps, but feel like my memory may be off a bit.

I know this is an old thread but there's a fair bit of misinformation here, so I thought I better add some information for other visitors from Google like myself.

The fact is Digidesign/Avid just never bothered to write proper drivers the Mbox 2 from Windows 7. They sort of did, except that sometimes when your computer wakes from sleep you'll get a full-on blue-screen crash and restart. It's got nothing to do with your specs or whether you restarted already or whether you've got the latest drivers - the latest drivers for Win 7 for the Mbox 2 are version 9.0.2.65 and they still have the crash. It's not your fault, they just abandoned the Mbox 2 when they released the next iteration and never fixed their stuff. A large proportion of people using Pro Tools are on Mac, or just don't put their computers to sleep, so they don't notice.

Unfortunately as far as I've seen there's no known fix.

Last edited:
Past 5 years since last post, I crossed this problem in 2021, hope it is still useful information: Someone sold to my friend one Mbox2 mini, because he could not make it work on Windows 10, shame Avid could not do a simple fix for it (excuses being support ending). I found that the driver for windows 8 is ok on Windows 10, but the installer crashes Windows 10 boot (need to create restore point), for some weird reason. :/
I installed on a Windows 7 and isolated the drivers files (installed nicely at C:\Program Files (x86)\Digidesign\) and by instaling the *.inf files directly, by right-clicking and then click Install on menu. Then Mbox 2 mini USB worked flawlessly. :)
Also I got better latency and flexibilty with Asio4All drivers (11ms against 25ms).
Attached zipped drivers with instructions.. those are the same drivers available on Avid/digidesign pages v9.0.265

Attachments

• Digidesign.zip
    12.1 MB · Views: 33
try letting windows do its updates, and if the problem is still there try installing windows 10 from offiecial microsoft website, because sometimes old windows contains harmful malwares that keeps crashing windows, water damage ceiling michigan Good luck!!

Last edited:
Back