My first track, need help!

AnnexWasTaken

So I had my first attempt of making music by myself and after ~8 hours of worktime this is the base of the track I'm trying to create. The fade is flawed at around 1:47 or so as I forgot to master a few things..

Here's the song in advance so you can listen to it while reading

I originally started making something because my girlfriend had a school project where she had to have selfmade music in the background so I thought why not? Anyways I'm starting to like it and I might be aiming to create a few more songs. However those will go into heavy dubstep and drum&bass genres.

What I mostly made this topic for though is for improvement suggestions. What could be done better? I feel like a real noobie and I've just been getting into FL Studio a little.. trying to figure things out :)

Please tell me if you liked it. I personally think it's nothing compared to others but being my first song I think it's pretty ok.

Thanks for listening and sorry if I bothered you but some advice on where to improve (apart from everywhere) that would be great!

Last edited:
If it´s your first it is very good. I take it you have played a lot of piano b4?
What I miss the most is a fatter/wider bass. Maybe just add a deep pad together with the bass you got there. At least in the parts you consider a chorus.

It sounds good at that is tricky to fix for newcomers so.... promising.

If it´s your first it is very good. I take it you have played a lot of piano b4?
What I miss the most is a fatter/wider bass. Maybe just add a deep pad together with the bass you got there. At least in the parts you consider a chorus.

It sounds good at that is tricky to fix for newcomers so.... promising.

Haha you're not the first one to doubt wether this was my first so I guess it ain't bad for a first try :)
Yeah I've been playing the piano for 2 years.

And thanks! But what's a deep pad?

a pad with a lower scale octave???
your favorite vst should having a few or not plenty of them

Last edited:
Proves that music theory/learning an instrument is the best thing you can do for starting producing. All it takes is a good melody and the rest of the stuff you did really was basic stuff that any beginner can learn. And I mean that as a compliment because your melody was really nice. I agree pads would be a HUGE difference with how the song is carried, look into them. They're pretty basic, they're their own element of a song actually haha. Granular synthesis is cool to mess around with for pads. Long story short they are a lower end chord or note held in the 'background' used to glue the song together and 'carry' it for one word.

Last edited:
Proves that music theory/learning an instrument is the best thing you can do for starting producing. All it takes is a good melody and the rest of the stuff you did really was basic stuff that any beginner can learn. And I mean that as a compliment because your melody was really nice. I agree pads would be a HUGE difference with how the song is carried, look into them. They're pretty basic, they're their own element of a song actually haha. Granular synthesis is cool to mess around with for pads. Long story short they are a lower end chord or note held in the 'background' used to glue the song together and 'carry' it for one word.

Thanks a lot for the really kind explanation! Now what's a pad makes sense! Definitely adding that.

I'm glad I posted into this forum. People are so nice around here.

Seriously please give me an example of a deep pad
This is a deep pad.
It´s dipped off from 100hz and up as you can see in the attached image here
OFC there are many variations to a deep pad. I just picked the first I could find, namely the 2. Nexus patch under Epic Pads category and made an EQ cutoff from 100 hz up as mentioned.
You could ofc get that fat loend bass feeling from a deep bass guitar as well.
And while you are at it, try some distortion or bit crushing on the low parts if you feel they sound "too nice".

Last edited:
Aah now I see. Made a small Drum and Bass Track trying to get a feel for deep pads :)

Thanks for the nice answers everyone! More criticism is highly appreciated.

Back