My Faderport arrived

CPhoenix

CharlesAllen/ BMR Studios
..... aahhhhh can't wait to put it to use.

Anybody have anything special they do with theirs workflow-wise?

---------- Post added 11-23-2011 at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-21-2011 at 10:32 PM ----------

Quick Review::

This is a NICE Fader. Unit is sturdy.... small enough to fit right next to my midi keyboard. I can turn off the Fader Read if i don't want the motor to run on playbacks. Can scroll through a session much easier... mark things up (I never used marks before until now, way easier to navigate). Record.. undo take, redo. Can Bank through the mixer.
This unit makes me feel like i'm in a command center. I already see an improvement in workflow. I feel waay more attached to my DAW, and automation is much simpler. Click.. add automation track, write automation, read it. Don't know what this Touch button is really for yet lol.

Between Faderport and my Contour Designs ShuttlePro (a great little unit that controls via keyboard shortcuts), there will be very few mouse clicks needed for production and recording. Only need the mouse to drag (ie, instruments/ effects to the a track, .wav files to a pad) and only need keyboard to type titles. Hopefully when I get my Studiologic VMK i'll be able to use buttons to scroll through presets-- hopefully. Then I'll feel like i'm working w/ hardware. I don't know why... but "feeling" really seems to make a big difference with me and my creating, even though it's all technically the same as using the mouse. All they gotta do now as figure out how to put voice recognition into a DAW and my fingers will be at bliss! LOL

Faderport + ShuttlePro = great home studio control unit. $160 total and it was well spent.

Last edited:
..... aahhhhh can't wait to put it to use.

Anybody have anything special they do with theirs workflow-wise?

---------- Post added 11-23-2011 at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-21-2011 at 10:32 PM ----------

Quick Review::

This is a NICE Fader. Unit is sturdy.... small enough to fit right next to my midi keyboard. I can turn off the Fader Read if i don't want the motor to run on playbacks. Can scroll through a session much easier... mark things up (I never used marks before until now, way easier to navigate). Record.. undo take, redo. Can Bank through the mixer.
This unit makes me feel like i'm in a command center. I already see an improvement in workflow. I feel waay more attached to my DAW, and automation is much simpler. Click.. add automation track, write automation, read it. Don't know what this Touch button is really for yet lol.

Between Faderport and my Contour Designs ShuttlePro (a great little unit that controls via keyboard shortcuts), there will be very few mouse clicks needed for production and recording. Only need the mouse to drag (ie, instruments/ effects to the a track, .wav files to a pad) and only need keyboard to type titles. Hopefully when I get my Studiologic VMK i'll be able to use buttons to scroll through presets-- hopefully. Then I'll feel like i'm working w/ hardware. I don't know why... but "feeling" really seems to make a big difference with me and my creating, even though it's all technically the same as using the mouse. All they gotta do now as figure out how to put voice recognition into a DAW and my fingers will be at bliss! LOL

Faderport + ShuttlePro = great home studio control unit. $160 total and it was well spent.

Yeah I really liked my Faderport. Eventually, however, I figured out how to do some awesome scripting on my Logitech G13 that performed a good 90% of the Faderport's functionality for me. The rest of the 10% of its functionality was taken care of by the Novation keyboard I bought later on. I didn't need a motorized fader per-se, just one that doesn't make volume levels jump suddenly.

The "touch" button is just your standard fader mode basically. Your fader is touch-sensitive (it can sense your finger via capacitance same as a cell phone screen), hence "touch".

Yeah I read more on it after posting. When touch mode is on, I can make quick edits and it'll only write when I'm touching the fader. Pysched! Lol.

Nice w/ your logitech. Yeah, my contour design does a lot, but I'm diggin buttons right now, I feel hardware oriented. Issue with S1 also is that it doesn't have key commands yet for a few things I would like it to. Like... it doesn't have a srcub... and u can't open/close an effects insert with a keystroke, but u can to an instrument. Stupid.

I don't even remember why I brought that up lol. Ahh well.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Fader is a little louder than a expected honestly... but I guess anything that moves makes at least SOME noise.

Yeah I read more on it after posting. When touch mode is on, I can make quick edits and it'll only write when I'm touching the fader. Pysched! Lol.

Nice w/ your logitech. Yeah, my contour design does a lot, but I'm diggin buttons right now, I feel hardware oriented. Issue with S1 also is that it doesn't have key commands yet for a few things I would like it to. Like... it doesn't have a srcub... and u can't open/close an effects insert with a keystroke, but u can to an instrument. Stupid.

I don't even remember why I brought that up lol. Ahh well.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Fader is a little louder than a expected honestly... but I guess anything that moves makes at least SOME noise.

Yeah, it makes some noise because it moves. It's basically the best fader money can buy, however -- if you've ever used a BCF2000 before you'll quickly appreciate how quiet, precise, and responsive your Faderport is.

I was looking at the ShuttlePro a while back. I'd look at it for half an hour every day and then decided not to buy it. Repeat that for a week. Money was tight at the time, though, so if I had more money I probably would have pulled the trigger on that one. Only problem really is the wasted functionality either of my G13 or the ShuttlePro due to drastic feature overlap.

Thing I like about the ShuttlePro is its got the jog wheel on it. U might wanna take a look at it for editing. Unfortunately S1 doesn't have audio scrubbing, which is stupid, but if ur DAW supports it that might be worth it for editing audio. I couldn't tell if the G13 has that... maybe that little joystick is similar.

Thing I like about the ShuttlePro is its got the jog wheel on it. U might wanna take a look at it for editing. Unfortunately S1 doesn't have audio scrubbing, which is stupid, but if ur DAW supports it that might be worth it for editing audio. I couldn't tell if the G13 has that... maybe that little joystick is similar.

Yeah the G13 is basically the one thing that has never really changed about my studio setup since I got it. That little joystick is the key to my Cubase integration.

By default my joystick controls zoom (left/right for horizontal, up/down for vertical). The two buttons next to the joystick are zoom to selection and zoom to full project. The buttons are set to project-level commands (Open/Close VST Panel, Add Instrument, Add Audio, View/Hide Mixer, etc) as long as this "default layout" is active.

While I'm holding my "track select shift" key, the up/down on the joystick temporarily changes to navigate track selection and goes back to normal mode when I release the key.

If I single-tap my "layout shift" key, the G13 turns green while the button is held and the joystick temporarily changes to scroll around the project. The other buttons shift to MIDI modification commands (Quantize, Iterative Quantize, Quantize Setup, Legato, Velocity Scaling, etc.) until the layout shift is released.

If I double-tap the same "layout shift" key, the G13 turns blue while the button is held down and the joystick turns temporarily to nudge functionality. It will nudge notes, audio clips, midi clips, etc. based on the current grid resolution until the layout shift is released. The other buttons temporarily change to transport functionality in this mode (Step Forward, Step Back, Place Marker, Previous Marker, Next Marker, etc.) until the layout shift is released.

I would've definitely kept my Faderport if I hadn't bought the G13 afterwards or didn't have the saavy to script it.

Last edited:
Back