My Begginer Producer Setup

YAU!

Hi guys, I started buying my gear a few months ago and I have it setup already. Since there are always lots of people asking for tips on begginer setups and gear to buy I decided to share what I have and how much I spent. All my gear was bought after searching in the web for the best solutions for a low budget.

So here it is, my gear is:

- Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i4 USB
- Monitors: Alesis M1 MKII (Active)
- Acoustic Treatment: 2 Foam "Plates" at the angle of first reflection
- Headphones: Sennheiser HD438 (for some headphone monitoring when needed, maybe it's just "my thing" but sometimes I like to hear the mix in the headphones to check some small details, mostly at the low end sounds (like 60Hz-70Hz-80Hz) where my lack of a subwoofer hurts the most).

I already owned the headphones before the idea to buy all this stuff, but since it actually sounds pretty legit I didn't feel the need to buy new ones.

How much did it cost:
Focusrite 2i4 USB - 218€ (Shipping included on price)
Alesis M1 MKII - 329€ (With monitor stands and free shipping)
Foam Plates - 8€ each
Sennheiser HD438 - 60€ (I don't think they are selling these anymore)

Full Price: 623€ + 30€ (For some short cables and stuff like that) = 653€

Reasons why I chose this equipment:
Well I did some research and the general opinion on audio interfaces for this kind of price was that the focusrite products are pretty decent, with good pre-amps for the price, and you can't get much better for that kind of money. I bought a USB interface because i don't have a firewire port, if you do have one, go for a firewire interface.

On the monitors... Well, I could not have big monitors in my room, my neighbors would go bananas! lol So I searched for the best 5''-6'' monitors with the flatest response possible and not very pricy. My options were the yamaha's HS50, Alesis M1 MKII, M-audio BX5D2 and KRK Rockit 5.
I did my research and found out to be general opinion that the yamaha's and Alesis where the best of the lot (M-Audio and KRK are said to be very bass compensated). And besides that, The best deal I found was on the alesis , so i went for it. And truth be said, I'm very happy. But if you have the chance to hear the sound of the monitors before buying, check it out before jumping into any option.

I don't have the permission to post images/links yet, but as soon as I can I will put here some photos of the whole thing.

Hope I helped, feel free to discuss my gear/give better solutions.

Last edited:
Back