Music Theory

tjustice

Just ordered a music theory book & for some reason i cant wait till it gets here. Im sure it will help in my craft a lot!! Any music theory tips or advice?

There's this youtube thing now. Should give it a shot.

I never even considered a book when it comes to theory, its already boring enough as it is in my opinion. There are good video series on youtube if you just look. But hey it doesn't really matter anyway, if you do books you do books. Im just assuming based on your last posts though that you haven't done a ton of research and it actually might be legitimate to assume you really don't know youtube has music theory on it haha, No offense.

Plus theory is tricky too so it might actually take looking at multiple sources/perspectives of it to have certain parts of it click. Id check out the youtube videos regardless, at least while you wait.

Last edited:
There's this youtube thing now. Should give it a shot.

I never even considered a book when it comes to theory, its already boring enough as it is in my opinion. There are good video series on youtube if you just look. But hey it doesn't really matter anyway, if you do books you do books. Im just assuming based on your last posts though that you haven't done a ton of research and it actually might be legitimate to assume you really don't know youtube has music theory on it haha, No offense.

Plus theory is tricky too so it might actually take looking at multiple sources/perspectives of it to have certain parts of it click. Id check out the youtube videos regardless, at least while you wait.
Youtube is junk if you're just starting out learning theory. There is no curriculum. You watch a video on scales....and then what? Okay, I think I need to learn chords...watch a few videos on chords-oh wait, what are intervals? How do chords come from scales...damn, gotta find a video on that...what are modes?...I'm confused, how do make music with chords? what are chord progressions......
And on it goes 'til you either get fed up with it, or decide to actually try learning how to understand this stuff in an logical, organized fashion. Meanwhile, you never really learned how to apply any of what you "learned", so you don't get why certain basic concepts are important or how to use them musically. You want proof? Check out the theory section of this site. How you gon' make sense of modes if you don't understand how to spell a major scale?

People give YT way too much credit as a learning tool but neglect to mention that the one thing YT videos won't give you is CONTEXT. Most YT tutorials are hit and run style affairs--give a brief overview and the rest is up to you to figure out. Its like trying to learn basic math from the Mathematics section of the library-sure, all the knowledge is there, but how you gon' sort it all out?

Last edited:
learn an instrument,

play everything you learn so that you have it under your fingers

read more than just one book, as there are some variations naming and descriptions

check out my tutes in my siglinks

Youtube is junk if you're just starting out learning theory. There is no curriculum. You watch a video on scales....and then what? Okay, I think I need to learn chords...watch a few videos on chords-oh wait, what are intervals? How do chords come from scales...damn, gotta find a video on that...what are modes?...I'm confused, how do make music with chords? what are chord progressions......
And on it goes 'til you either get fed up with it, or decide to actually try learning how to understand this stuff in an logical, organized fashion. Meanwhile, you never really learned how to apply any of what you "learned", so you don't get why certain basic concepts are important or how to use them musically. You want proof? Check out the theory section of this site. How you gon' make sense of modes if you don't understand how to spell a major scale?

People give YT way too much credit as a learning tool but neglect to mention that the one thing YT videos won't give you is CONTEXT. Most YT tutorials are hit and run style affairs--give a brief overview and the rest is up to you to figure out. Its like trying to learn basic math from the Mathematics section of the library-sure, all the knowledge is there, but how you gon' sort it all out?

Well I'm not gonna hold his hand the whole way through and pick out the videos he is going to watch. I didnt tell him to watch a random youtube video here and there, I told him to use youtube. It goes without saying that watching a random drive by video on scales isn't going to teach you much. If you type in "Music Theory" into youtube its pretty much at the top of every single search. There is a full free video series by a guy named Lypur, for piano and music theory. 2 different series. Anyone that does a search is going to find it. That is structured and does have context. Im just assuming if he actually took the time to search he would see it for himself. If he did see it and still decided to take the shortcut by watching shorter 'drive by' videos thats not my fault. its his lol. Its obvious what the better choice to watch would be.

Life and Music is full of accidentals.

Learn the art of training your ears.

And understand that making good music consistently takes time.

Back