music theory for hip hop

especially in hip hop. there are producers out there (like me)that have just played with the keyboard for a while and get the feeling, creativity, and understanding without having to extensively read about music theory. I would like to, just like alot of industry producers, but the feel is much more evident in hip hop than any other kind of music, I believe.

"as i step to th keyz im just coming with what ever is in me. Hip hop music compare to something that really progresses over a spand of time is like freestyle dancing compare to ballay."

WORD! U SAID IT!

RECENTLY IVE FOUND MY "STYLE", "GROOVE", CALL IT WHAT U WANT. BUT WHEN U FIND IT, ITS LIKE YOU KICKED DOWN THE DOOR U BEEN TRYING TO GET IN ALL UR LIFE AND U BOUT TO START A RIOT IN THE HOUSE!...WHAT I SUGGEST IS TO START OFF DUPLICATING AS MANY MELODIES AS U CAN OFF OF SONGS U LIKE. THIS WILL TEACH U THE KEY PATTERNS, BUT AS MUCH AS U CAN-- AVOID IMITATING ANYONE! DO THE STYLE OF PRODUCING U ENJOY BUT TAKE IT SOMEWHERE U HAVENT BEEN, INSTEAD OF JUST TRYING TO GET THAT DRE SOUND. - THIS APPLYS TO MYSELF LOL

j hazen said:

theory isn't really something that you just reach out for and use when you get stuck on something. Its knowing why everything sounds the way it does and how to acheive certain feelings with note combinations and chords. its like saying you only reach back and think about english class when you are having difficulty saying something. When its really engrained, it becomes second nature, you know what its like to speak english fluently, you don't have to think about how to form sentences and look up words all the time in a dictionary.

When i say "When i get stuck ill sometime reach for what i have learn from music theory" I dont mean its not something that not already in me. Just like you said about a person writing stuff and it comes easy cause its in them but there is more than one way to get your point across using different type of words and the same thing with music. So when i say i would reach for what i have learn from music theory when i get stuck im just taking some time to study the track im working on and ask myself what could be done differently. Like you said its something thats in you. Well before i try to learn abut music theory i couldnt ask myself these lil questions so i would have track that would never get complete because i didnt know what i was looking for!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back