Music Industry = Blurry

Maybe you missunderstood me I dunno, but to sum it all up,
Im worried that the degree wont give me **** in return. I want to produce music, hiphop / r&b. I checked out Five Towns College in Long Island 2 weeks ago and got back to Sweden feelin even more torn then before I went to the states. The school itself felt small and almost forgotten but thats another story.
Marketing, Internet technologies aint a prob, Its more about me not knowing what will actually gain me something as far as producing music goes.

Stoupe ///
You were talking like "I dont' wanna go to college...i wanna make beats". That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Made u sound lazy, like you just want to win the lottery, and don't wanna put in any work.
///

lol

What degree are u looking into??

And u gotta understand, nothing is a guarantee.

But if you wanna do this PROFESSIONALLY, be prepared to put in about 10 YEARS of HARD WORK AND STUDY to get to that level of doing it professionally, on a consistent basis.

4 years of college don't seem so bad compared to that, huh?
It aint about the time, its about me not wanting to waste time. I get that it takes many years until you master the art of producing, im not naiv even though you tryin your best to make me look like I am.

Maybe my negative approach to the whole thing has to do with Five Towns visit itself, I felt like they didint really have what I was looking for, I left the place as I said more torn and lost then what I was before actually gettin there. **** I dunno

Business Management
- A.A.S.

Concentrations:

Accounting
Audio Recording Technology
Business Management
Computer Business Applications
Music Business

Ye I kno theres no guarantees in life, I just feel that this is less of a guarantee within this field then any other.

That right there sounds good. Gives you well rounded insight into the things that you'll need to conduct music business.

If you didn't like that particular college, then go to another institution.

But education is NEVER a waste of time...EVER.

Ait, appriciate it. Are you familiar with any good colleges in NewYork City area?

I hear you, its just that I dont want to put myself in huge debht for something that not give me as much in return as planned.

Ait, appriciate it. Are you familiar with any good colleges in NewYork City area?

I hear you, its just that I dont want to put myself in huge debht for something that not give me as much in return as planned.

College and education is about earnings potential. Your earnings potential is much higher than someone without a degree, or any type of education. So it's never a waste of time, and it'll always put you in a better position.

The x factor is always you. Even if you do get a degree, if your work ethic is nothing, and you don't have the motivation and the drive to be successful, it's not gonna happen.

So education can only help you.

And i'm not in NYC...sorry.

Thats what I mean troup, I gotta think this trough bigtime. The motivation been jumping up and down as far as musicmaking goes, I love music till death do us apart, I cant live without it. But its a whole other thing to actually make music or to listen and enjoy it that way.
I cant get get away from the fact that when I hear any gd track, I feel connected in a way I guess only religious people could associate with, its beyond.
Im asking myself am if im letting my passion for listening and feeling music affect my will to make it as a producer. I dunno if you following, cuz its hard to explain.

Anywayz, dis is y i been lookin into entreprenaur program in Queens instead, cuz I know for sure thats one thing Ima do in the future, havin my own company with no buts or ifs involved. So its like a safer way to go somehow if u feel me

np thx

Last edited:
Thats what I mean troup, I gotta think this trough bigtime. The motivation been jumping up and down as far as musicmaking goes, I love music till death do us apart, I cant live without it. But its a whole other thing to actually make music or to listen and enjoy it that way.
I cant get get away from the fact that when I hear any gd track, I feel connected in a way I guess only religious people could associate with, its beyond.
Im asking myself am if im letting my passion for listening and feeling music affect my will to make it as a producer. I dunno if you following, cuz its hard to explain.

Anywayz, dis is y i been lookin into entreprenaur program in Queens instead, cuz I know for sure thats one thing Ima do in the future, havin my own company with no buts or ifs involved. So its like a safer way to go somehow if u feel me

np thx

That's the thing...alot of people mistake the passion for LISTENING to music, with the passion for MAKING MUSIC.

It's like...u can love music all you want. Hot beats and hot music can excite u like none other...that's what music is SUPPOSED to do, and it does that to every other person on the planet...

But just because you love listening to music, doesn't mean that you were meant to create the music. Because creating music is an entirely different beast. It only takes 3 minutes to listen to a song...but it takes 25 hours to MAKE that song...

Most people aren't built for that 25 hours.

You (everybody) gotta be honest with yourself when you're determining what category you fall into. Because there's nothing wrong with either...but knowing is half the battle.

I hear wat u sayn, I gotta look myself in the mirror and rly q myself if this the way to go or not. If it wasnt ab deciding on whether or not to leave home to travel 6000km away for 2-4 years I guess id not even think twice about it.

J.Troup, thx for replies man, you got me thinkin and questionin myself thats for sure...

I hear wat u sayn, I gotta look myself in the mirror and rly q myself if this the way to go or not. If it wasnt ab deciding on whether or not to leave home to travel 6000km away for 2-4 years I guess id not even think twice about it.

J.Troup, thx for replies man, you got me thinkin and questionin myself thats for sure...

No problem...sorry for the misunderstanding earlier...I just hate it when lazy ass people think that "making beats" is the get rich quick plan. Because I understand how much time and effort it takes to really begin to master the art of music production, it makes me mad when people think they're just gonna come in and in 6 months be a millionaire.

Best of luck.

Its all gd man, I get wat u sayn. Its disrespecting towards people like you that spent their last 10 years or mo perfecting the art of music production. If I wasnt aware of what it takes to get to that level the choice would be easy, but im well aware of the long road ahead thats why its a tough decision. Im at dis very moment leanin towards as I said before some entrepreneur education while keep doin music by the side of it. Appriciate it man

^^^At age 30, I've been living your dream almost a 15 years now. Engineered a few commercial products, placed beats with tons of major artists, even had a few deals on the table. It's taken me around the world, got me a crib, and a few cars. All I am is a 10th grade dropout with a G.E.D. You don't go to school for this, you play lotto and hope you win...but...low and behold, now, at age 30...my azz is in school like I shoulda been at age 17. Go figure.

Last edited:
I just want to add...

If you are torn about going to school, really think about WHY you are thinking about continuing your education. Is it because people are telling you to (parents/family/friends), or is it because you actually WANT to learn things and develop skills that will help you over the course of your life?

School is something you have to want to do to be successful and get the most of it. That's why its important to find something that you enjoy in some aspect to study.

If you are questioning it because you are unsure whether its really going to help you, thats great. If you are questioning it because you are just wary of an unknown future, you may want to just say 'F*ck it' and go for it. Life is full of uncertainties, and sometimes you just have to start an adventure that you never know where it may lead you...

Regarding the degree you listed...remember thats only an associate degree, which although its a great accomplishment, isn't going to get you very far in the real world. If you're looking at going to college, don't just stop with the AA or AS, shoot for a bachelor's. That's what is usually going to get you looked at, and is also a minimum requirement for many good jobs today. An AA might get you in the door, a BA is going to get you 2 steps up the ladder from the same starting point.

Now granted, the fact you are trying to get into something music related means that a BS isn't going to get you too much further than an AS, its more related to the skills and experience you have, but if you were to decide that you wanted a job in a different field or sector, that BS might give you a major leg up on the competition.

Regarding going into debt, don't sweat that too much. You have years to pay that off, and the idea is that you're going to be making enough money that its not going to be a big deal to pay off 20-50k in 5 or 10 years. Med school bills are a diff story. I can't imagine looking for a job with a quarter mil of debt on my shoulders...

Also, I'm curious what exactly turned you off of the school you visited. You mentioned that it felt 'small and forgotten'. Did you arrive at that assumption purely based off the appearance? The equipment they had? The instructors? Did you speak to any current or former students there about their impressions and how the school was for them?

There's alot more to an educational facility than just the appearance of the campus and how new the equipment is...you can get a great education in a condemned building if you have a good teacher...

Sorry that ran longer than I intended. I'm kind of in the same boat. I put off school after high school thinking I could make it on my own and realized that its not easy. I didn't really want to go back to school but I felt it was the right thing to do, so I said 'F*ck it' and did it. Then I got burned out again and took some time off, and now I'm gung-ho balls to the wall ready to just wrap it up. Because I did it that way, I am ending up with two different associate degrees, one general studies from a community college (worthless) and one in a specified field (not quite as worthless). I still have a year and a half to go on my BS and although it seems like a long time, its really not...

Good luck.

^^^At age 30, I've been living your dream almost a 15 years now. Engineered a few commercial products, placed beats with tons of major artists, even had a few deals on the table. It's taken me around the world, got me a crib, and a few cars. All I am is a 10th grade dropout with a G.E.D. You don't go to school for this, you play lotto and hope you win...but...low and behold, now, at age 30...my azz is in school like I shoulda been at age 17. Go figure.
lol isnt dat ironic, may I ask why you in school since you already made it?

Last edited:
I think that music is one of those fields where you can only do well if you're good at it. There is no lying on your resume or hiding behind some bullsh*t. It's like ring fighting - if you suck, you fail.

I just want to add...

If you are torn about going to school, really think about WHY you are thinking about continuing your education. Is it because people are telling you to (parents/family/friends), or is it because you actually WANT to learn things and develop skills that will help you over the course of your life?

School is something you have to want to do to be successful and get the most of it. That's why its important to find something that you enjoy in some aspect to study.

If you are questioning it because you are unsure whether its really going to help you, thats great. If you are questioning it because you are just wary of an unknown future, you may want to just say 'F*ck it' and go for it. Life is full of uncertainties, and sometimes you just have to start an adventure that you never know where it may lead you...

Regarding the degree you listed...remember thats only an associate degree, which although its a great accomplishment, isn't going to get you very far in the real world. If you're looking at going to college, don't just stop with the AA or AS, shoot for a bachelor's. That's what is usually going to get you looked at, and is also a minimum requirement for many good jobs today. An AA might get you in the door, a BA is going to get you 2 steps up the ladder from the same starting point.

Now granted, the fact you are trying to get into something music related means that a BS isn't going to get you too much further than an AS, its more related to the skills and experience you have, but if you were to decide that you wanted a job in a different field or sector, that BS might give you a major leg up on the competition.

Regarding going into debt, don't sweat that too much. You have years to pay that off, and the idea is that you're going to be making enough money that its not going to be a big deal to pay off 20-50k in 5 or 10 years. Med school bills are a diff story. I can't imagine looking for a job with a quarter mil of debt on my shoulders...

Also, I'm curious what exactly turned you off of the school you visited. You mentioned that it felt 'small and forgotten'. Did you arrive at that assumption purely based off the appearance? The equipment they had? The instructors? Did you speak to any current or former students there about their impressions and how the school was for them?

There's alot more to an educational facility than just the appearance of the campus and how new the equipment is...you can get a great education in a condemned building if you have a good teacher...

Sorry that ran longer than I intended. I'm kind of in the same boat. I put off school after high school thinking I could make it on my own and realized that its not easy. I didn't really want to go back to school but I felt it was the right thing to do, so I said 'F*ck it' and did it. Then I got burned out again and took some time off, and now I'm gung-ho balls to the wall ready to just wrap it up. Because I did it that way, I am ending up with two different associate degrees, one general studies from a community college (worthless) and one in a specified field (not quite as worthless). I still have a year and a half to go on my BS and although it seems like a long time, its really not...

Good luck.
Its because I feel at this point of my life I need to get away, spread my wings. I wanted to do this for a long time but my plans rly never fell trough and I canceled it in last sec. At age 23 its like, I either get to experience college life or I dont at all. So its mo about bein tired and fedup with the situation over here, I have it gd though, gd job and everything but I want mo out of my life and I feel since I have the chance to get away why not take it u know.

Well the school basically felt small and somehow forgotten. It was just my first impression, and no I didint take to any students just 2 supervisors and thats about it.

Last edited:
Either way, appriciate the discussion, jay_jizle Ima reply in more detail, at work now so cant rly give u proper 1 at moment lol

Back