Music Industry = Blurry

AKStyleZ

Is it just me or does it all seem so blurry and hard to reach out too compared to other industries?

Im asking this question because deep down I feel like investing money at 24 years of age (i b 24 next year) for a degree that really aint giving me no guarantees as far as jobs goes is a big risk.
Its not like you study to become a lawyer and then you get that topnotch job which you so deserve after all those hard years of studying. The way I see it, everything is so customized and theres not really no guidelines nor rules in the world of music.

Someone fill in..

The broader the range of jobs you can get with a degree, the better chance you have of actually using your degree. If not, you'll most likely get an okay job based on the mere fact you went to college, but never end up in the exact field you went to school for.

That's not isolated to music schools.

Ughh.... Producing is the only thing Id wanna do, dis is the exact reason why Im looking into Entrepreneur education at Queens College instead.
Sick of not bein able to see whats around me, and when it comes to music industry i feel blindfolded, edited this post fo 4th time.. Ill probably get bk for a 5th time soon or lata, so frustrated.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does it all seem so blurry and hard to reach out too compared to other industries?

Im asking this question because deep down I feel like investing money at 24 years of age (i b 24 next year) for a degree that really aint giving me no guarantees as far as jobs goes is a big risk.
Its not like you study to become a lawyer and then you get that topnotch job which you so deserve after all those hard years of studying. The way I see it, everything is so customized and theres not really no guidelines nor rules in the world of music.

Someone fill in..

Nothing gives you any guarantees.

What is doing beats gonna do for you? There are way more job openings at Fortune 100 companies every year, than there are placement opportunities in the music industry.

And the job positions pay more than the placements.

Think about that.

Doin beats is for me about expressing myself period. What kind of jobs is there, could you name a few that would be tighed to making music

There are plenty of different jobs in the AUDIO field, but in the "makin' beats" field, it's a little dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant just start studyin to become a mixing engineer or something im not even familiar with, im not 18 no mo lol

I cant just start studyin to become a mixing engineer or something im not even familiar with, im not 18 no mo lol

Yeah, and you're also not 80.

You think making beats is gonna set u up for life? You think you're gonna get a 401k and health care from making beats? U better think again.

U ain't making a million off placing beats no more. That stuff just ain't happening. Plus everybody and they mama is thinking exactly what you're thinking.

It sounds like you wanna take the easy route, and you don't wanna work hard. You just wanna sit at home, make beats, and get the check out the mail box. But trust me, making a steady income from making music does NOT work like that.

Plus...please understand...that "selling beats" is not the ONLY way to make a living from doing music. Trust me. I'm making moves right now to put myself in a position to where I make music for a living, and I never have to sell ONE BEAT.

Think outside the box.

Well ye ofcourse I am, but I cant see myself mixing others production at least not as a main job. That aint me. Theres a huge difference between real mixing engineers that dedicated their life to sounds themself and a producer learnin a lil mixing on the side of it.

Age is just a number.

If a 95 year old women can graduate from college, what's stopping you from going to school and learning another craft?

Yeah, and you're also not 80.

You think making beats is gonna set u up for life? You think you're gonna get a 401k and health care from making beats? U better think again.

U ain't making a million off placing beats no more. That stuff just ain't happening. Plus everybody and they mama is thinking exactly what you're thinking.

It sounds like you wanna take the easy route, and you don't wanna work hard. You just wanna sit at home, make beats, and get the check out the mail box. But trust me, making a steady income from making music does NOT work like that.

Plus...please understand...that "selling beats" is not the ONLY way to make a living from doing music. Trust me. I'm making moves right now to put myself in a position to where I make music for a living, and I never have to sell ONE BEAT.

Think outside the box.
It aint about the money, its about being able to make a living on it period, if it was about the money Id focus on something then music.
It aint about being comfy and doin things from ure home, its just that I want to do the actual music, not fine tune someone elses. See this is why I even made this thread to get someone like you to drop it down, to confirm what I already thought I knew. Ye i know about u, checked you out at youtube and some other stuff.
It seems like you talkin about record label deal, where you work for monthly salary.

Age is just a number.

If a 95 year old women can graduate from college, what's stopping you from going to school and learning another craft?
To learn something you gotta put ure mind to it, and have the will to learn, when it comes to mixing I feel like thats not my way to go.
I dont wanna endup at 30 years of age feelin like o **** I just wasted my last 4 years or something I didint want fullhearted

Well, do scores for movies, TV, websites, anything that has a score in the background. Make music, get some money.

There.

But honestly, a company won't be able to take you seriously with just beats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya, I just feel myself drifting further and further away from studyin music next year. Appriciate the answers, big up to Stoupe and Speakers-Head and rest.

To learn something you gotta put ure mind to it, and have the will to learn, when it comes to mixing I feel like thats not my way to go.

lol...dude. U sound like the laziest dude on earth.

So you just want to sit back, do something mindless, and collect a check. Because that's literally what u just said.

Making music is not easy. And making a LIVING off of music is definitely not easy.

U need to make music a hobby, and go work in a warehouse. Because clearly u don't have the mental capacity to do music for a living.

lol...dude. U sound like the laziest dude on earth.

So you just want to sit back, do something mindless, and collect a check. Because that's literally what u just said.

Making music is not easy. And making a LIVING off of music is definitely not easy.

U need to make music a hobby, and go work in a warehouse. Because clearly u don't have the mental capacity to do music for a living.
Are you serious? Im lazy because I do not want spend time and effort into something Im not interested in?
Listen up, theres a big difference headin to school to study Music Theory, Arrangement, Sound Design and what have you in oppose to studying mixing with a goal to become a mixing engineer.
Im already working for a IT company and posting rite from work at dis very moment, lifes gd, music is a hobby. The question is whether I should turn it into something more then just a hobby, and by studyin Im clearly taking it to another level and not just a hobby.

Soon or lata Ill open up my own Warehouse selling music gear, first thing ill do is give you a call so you can come work for me

Last edited:
Are you serious? Im lazy because I do not want spend time and effort into something Im not interested in?
Listen up, theres a big difference headin to school to study Music Theory, Arrangement, Sound Design and what have you in oppose to studying mixing with a goal to become a mixing engineer.
Im already working for a IT company and posting rite from work at dis very moment, lifes gd, music is a hobby. The question is whether I should turn it into something more then just a hobby, and by studyin Im clearly taking it to another level and not just a hobby.

So what exactly is the problem?? If you're not interested in being a mix engineer, then don't do it.

You were talking like "I dont' wanna go to college...i wanna make beats". That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Made u sound lazy, like you just want to win the lottery, and don't wanna put in any work.

If you wanna make music for a living, then make music for a living. But you actually have to FIND a way to do it. And in doing that, you're going to have to dip into sound engineering. You're gonna have to know some marketing. You're gonna have to know some internet technologies. You're gonna have to know all that stuff. Because that's what's necessary to make a living off of music in 2009 and beyond.

But if you wanna do this PROFESSIONALLY, be prepared to put in about 10 YEARS of HARD WORK AND STUDY to get to that level of doing it professionally, on a consistent basis.

4 years of college don't seem so bad compared to that, huh?

Last edited:
Maybe you missunderstood me I dunno, but to sum it all up,
Im worried that the degree wont give me **** in return. I want to produce music, hiphop / r&b. I checked out Five Towns College in Long Island 2 weeks ago and got back to Sweden feelin even more torn then before I went to the states. The school itself felt small and almost forgotten but thats another story.
Marketing, Internet technologies aint a prob, Its more about me not knowing what will actually gain me something as far as producing music goes.

Stoupe ///
You were talking like "I dont' wanna go to college...i wanna make beats". That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Made u sound lazy, like you just want to win the lottery, and don't wanna put in any work.
///

lol

Back