Multiple questions

yodaone902

Hi, Just moved house and finally got all my equipment in one place. This includes my technics 1200 and my audio interface (previously they were in two places far from each other-long bloody story)
I have one of the apogee duet 1's (the older firewire model that is chrome) with it i have two 1/4 jack inputs and 2 xlr inputs to choose from, with also two 1/4 jack outputs for monitors.

I have a few questions that seem to belong in multiple places but thought this would be the best thread to cover it all.
Here goes:
1. Both for listening purposes and sampling what is the best method of connecting my turntable to my duet, sold my old mixer as the preamps in the duet are much better.
2. (this is kind of more than one question) Since the audio output is 1/4 jacks am i limited to the krk rockits? i've heard such mixed reviews that i'm not sure what monitors to get as i also want to be able to listen to my old records as accurately as possible (though of course on a budget)

Bit of a lengthy post, but any input would be much appreciated.
P.S my other gear is as follows
Audio technica 4040
Sure Sm57
M audio axiom 49 Mk2
Maschine mk2
Logic pro x
Macbook Pro 10.9.3 with 2.8ghz intel core i7 and 16gb of ram

1. Both for listening purposes and sampling what is the best method of connecting my turntable to my duet, sold my old mixer as the preamps in the duet are much better.

I don't know what kind of mixer you had before, but the mic preamps in the Duet don't really have anything to do with connecting a turntable - you'll still need a phono preamp (either in a DJ mixer or a standalone unit) for the 1200. Then it's just line out from the phono pre into the line ins of the Duet. I guess the main "problem" is that the Duet only has two inputs - you'll need to keep switching them out if you want to use those mics of yours, unless you use a mixer in between (which is what you might've been doing).

2. (this is kind of more than one question) Since the audio output is 1/4 jacks am i limited to the krk rockits? i've heard such mixed reviews that i'm not sure what monitors to get as i also want to be able to listen to my old records as accurately as possible (though of course on a budget)

No, you can use any set of monitors you want. Just get a cable with the right connector at the monitors' end (ie. XLR or TRS, most likely). It would be pretty crazy if your audio interface was built for a single brand of monitors (and KRKs aren't the only brand with a 1/4" input either).

Back