MPKMINI or Alesis Q49

Jayy

Hey, I recently started producing. I still haven't got myself a midi keyboard - I've been using my computer keyboard so far (with FL). Now I want a keyboard but I'm stuck with these two; the MPKMINI 25 KEYS or the Alesis Q49.

the Q49 has the advantage of more keys, as that has 49 keys whilst the MPK has 25. But the MPK also has those pad things which I really like (but not sure if I need), its also much cheaper. However I heard that Akai has recently been slipping with their new products and the durability is very poor, the cheap price of the MPK may or may not explain for that.

What I really want is;
Something that will last me long
Something thats more versatile and help me produce better instrumentals

Would post links but I have a inadequate amount of posts :bigeyes:

Help a n00b?

I'd go with something more like one of the recent Oxygen 49's. Or if you can find a used 2nd gen Axiom 49 that would probably be best if you must have pads. The build quality of the 2nd gen Axioms is really good. I have a 1st gen Axiom 25 and it's really really good even though the knobs are weird. They fixed the knobs problem in 2nd generation. The problem is that the new 3rd gen Axioms are so expensive. But if you could find a good used one of the 2nd gen at 49 or even 61 keys you'll be set. Also the Axioms have aftertouch (pressure sensitivity) and expression foot pedal input (like a mod wheel for your foot).

I wouldn't go with the Alesis because some Alesis keyboards have leaky pitchbends.

But 25 keys really isn't enough. It's very limiting in every way imaginable, whether using instruments or drum samples spread out across the octaves.

The MPK Mini is cheap and reliable I got mine for $80 on ebay but the only down side is if you are trying to do very technical playing because it only has 25 keys per octave and 8 pads in 2 banks. On the bright side i spilled a whole bowl of cereal on it this moring and it still works *thumbs up*

Yes, explain?

I have only an MPK mini at the moment (fighting with myself on which 61 to get!) and for true noob, it's good enough to last a couple years. Very sturdy, very portable, not taking up your whole desk.

If you're a piano player, you might not like it. If you're learning computer stuff and you want more hands on, it's got knobs and pads.

Depending on your software, things can be funky, but fixable (do your homework)

I got mine from Amazon for 74 last week and already modded the pads (How-To: MPK mini Pad Mod - DJ TechTools Forums) so I'll keep it for a while, I can't bring myself to return it!!!

Anyway, I had an Oxygen8 (version 1 that I got when I first attended Berklee College of Music) and that guy lasted me like 5 years as the keyboard I used the most.

If you're stuck under $100 then the mini is good - the Alesis is AKAI owned, but the quality seems lax (the QX49 made my recent list of possible candidates, it's not much more, so you might like it, but it's not for smashing...)

If you have gorilla hands, save your cash for something solid like an MPK 25/49, otherwise, if you're a pianist, get something like an M-Audio Keystation 61es (semi-weighted for $150 on amazon), and if you just want keys, the Q49 or M-Audio KeyStudio49 would be fine (though the Q49 comes with Ableton Live 8 Lite... bonus!)

If you're truly looking at only those 2, there is no "better" just different - depends on your needs - either will last you a few years if you're starting out, but if you have any piano/keyboard experience, the Q49 has normal keys, and the MPK mini has ... well ... mini keys...

You can live without the knobs and pads, honestly, so if size makes no difference, I vote Q49 but if you want to write in bed, or in the car, or in the park, get the mini. (if you want to go to a friends house, suck it up and carry that Q49 silly!)

Of course, I'm a classical composer, so what do I know :P

Back