MPC500 or Reason?

northernChill

So I'm stuck and don't know which one to get. I have used the Reason 4.0 demo before and liked it, and also I'm a student so I can get the discounted version. But I have been talking to a guy on craigslist, and i can get an MPC500 for $350. I have never tried an MPC but all my favourite producers use the MPC series, and i play drums so i like the feel of hardware aposed to software. Any input? Thanks
-Brad

i would just get reason. i've tried the MPC500 and it was hard. You can do more with software anyway. just get reason and a midi controller like MPD or PadKontrol. But you should try for yourself,, just go to guitar center.they should have demo drum machines you can try out. they're expensive to buy from but i just go there to mess with the stuff :P

So I'm stuck and don't know which one to get. I have used the Reason 4.0 demo before and liked it, and also I'm a student so I can get the discounted version. But I have been talking to a guy on craigslist, and i can get an MPC500 for $350. I have never tried an MPC but all my favourite producers use the MPC series, and i play drums so i like the feel of hardware aposed to software. Any input? Thanks
-Brad
None of you fav producers use the 500 aka Akai's little toy.

None of you fav producers use the 500 aka Akai's little toy.

LoL. True. Even as a MPC user I strongly suggest going with Reason. You are more likely to get more bang for your buck with Reason as opposed to a MPC500. Especially since there is an upgrade coming soon for Reason.

Is the 500 useless?

I wouldn't call it useless, but its not something you get as your first piece of equipment. If you're someone interested in an MPC, the 1000 (or anything other than the 500) would be the machine for a first timer. But for someone who is familiar with the MPC and looking for a portable alternative, then the 500 is cool. Although I haven't gotten deep into it (other than playing with it at Guitar Center), I've heard that it is missing a few of the MPC's useful feature.

But to the original poster... Think about what you're getting with the MPC500 versus Reason (and vice versa). And especially with the new upgrades coming with Reason 5, you're getting A LOT more that what you'll get with an(y) MPC. As sponserdsk8ter said, Reason and a pad or keyboard controller (and Reaper), you can do all the MPC can and more.

Thanks for the input guys... and i know none of the producers use the 500 they use MPC's is what i meant, but ya i guess im gunna go for Reason, what do you recommend for a MIDI controller first a keyboard or pads? And any suggestions on which one, thanks

Thanks for the input guys... and i know none of the producers use the 500 they use MPC's is what i meant, but ya i guess im gunna go for Reason, what do you recommend for a MIDI controller first a keyboard or pads? And any suggestions on which one, thanks

Keyboard. Anything you can do with pads you can do with a good keyboard.

i got a 500 i use it ONLY for playing when out in about and also my 9year old son"s toy so he would stop asking to use my 2000xl. its a toy for real.

reason but you can also get a mpc 2000 in that price range if u really truely want a mpc. but i still say Reason u get more bang for your buck that way

dont see all the hype about reason, i know its good, i just couldn't use it.

dont see all the hype about reason, i know its good, i just couldn't use it.

Everything isn't for everyone. But take some time and sit down with it. My cousin use to say the same thing, but I've converted him; a die hard Fruity Loops user (since back in 2002), he's been using Reason since 2.5.

I personally didn't see what was so good about it either when I first started using it, but I grew to be a die hard user myself (besides my MPCs).

the thing i hate about reason is no vst support wtf? what daw or music production program goin to not have vst support?

the thing i hate about reason is no vst support wtf? what daw or music production program goin to not have vst support?

What do you mean no VST support? So what, PT doesn't have VST support either but I don't see no one complaining about that. Man do you know how many refills, inexspensive refills are on the market for Reason/Record? Who need VST's and VSTi's and I hope you're talking about vsti's. Record/Reason has it's OWN Vst's!

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

I ended up getting Reason 4.0 with the free 5.0 upgrade coming, and a M-Audio Oxygen25

Why the Oxygen? Get the MPK 25 you get pads and keys, you can bang out on the pads without doing it to your keys and breaking them. mapping to reason is great too with that device. You get a pitch bend and a mod wheel also.

20kvrbc.jpg

Last edited:
idk if protools have vst support or not i dont use that. and just because nobody cares that protools doesnt have vst support and still use it doesnt mean i dont need or will be a lemming/sheep. vst suppport is a deal breaker for ME and for MY workflow! refills mean nothing to me because imp most of them suck (atleast the ones i heard).

I owen a MPC 1000 and Reason 5. I would go with the Reason first and then buy the mpc. I like the mpk49's as a controller because it has 12 pads and 49 keys in the same unit.

Back