Mpc500 midi w/ nord lead 2x (issue with pads playing both notes/beats))

oam13

I recently just taught myself how to hook up midi so I'm having a problem with figuring this one out:

I have a nord lead 2x connected by midi to my mpc, which I intend to use in a live situation to play sequences and loop melodies (from the keyboard) over. My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how, when I start a sequence of drum beats to record over, it always starts playing the notes on the pad from which I have drum beats assigned initially. Is there a way to separate the two or better yet turn that mechanism off so that I can play the 2x but still have the melodies loop through the sampler without obstructing the beats? Thanks!

MIDI devices have channels they respond to, data transmitted on the channel the device is set to receive on will trigger it and the data transmitting on other channels will be ignored, when you have more than one MIDI device you need to assign each device a channel from 1-16 so they don't all sound at the same time.

I should add that an MPC is a MIDI sequencer as well as a sampler so it can record and playback tracks/instruments on multiple channels.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply — I'd assigned the 2x to channel 1, but what I can't figure out is how to say, record a sequence with beats that I have on the internal memory of the mpc, and then whilst playing it back, overdub a live performance. When I sync the two together, the note(s) where I had beats programed (say a bass hit on pad A1) will simultaneously now be playing a C-note? Sorry, if I need a little more of an explanation - and thank you!!!

hmm — that i don't know. and i guess being new at this i don't even know where i'd change that setting if i am missing that step. (by the way, i have channel 1 selected on the nord and then on the mpc i have channel 1 selected in the "sync" category and in the track parameters. i could very possibly be mis-reading the language in the manual...) are you saying that when i import a selection of beats and record sequences with them that they have their own channel? am i just missing the way in which to program this?

thanks again.

I could have 5 MIDI instruments hooked up to a MIDI sequencer each set to MIDI channel 1 and if I play MIDI data from track 1 in the sequencer set to transmit on MIDI channel 1 all the devices will play the same notes, if I then give each MIDI device it's own number (1-5) only instrument 1 will play, if I then change the MIDI channel of track 1 to transmit on MIDI channel 2 it will now only play the second MIDI instrument.

Last edited:
Back