MPC2000XL Question

DJ-Renroc

I've been wanting to buy an MPC for quite a while now and based on my research I feel the MPC2000XL will be a good fit for me at this time. Since I will be purchasing used/online I'm just wondering what exactly should I look for? Obviously some have different specs or add ons/updagres etc. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I've been wanting to buy an MPC for quite a while now and based on my research I feel the MPC2000XL will be a good fit for me at this time. Since I will be purchasing used/online I'm just wondering what exactly should I look for? Obviously some have different specs or add ons/updagres etc. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Look for maxed out ram, you'll be able to sample 189 seconds with max ram which is plenty. Also u can upgrade to 8 outs.

Another big thing to look into is the eb-16 effects board. Without it u can't high pass filter, the only filter/eq u get without it is a low pass.

U can also get a card reader for the xl, I have a internal zip drive, I like it, I don't see why ppl complain about zips, they're not that bad.

Hey thanks a lot. That was all really helpful information. Anyone else have anything else to add?

Last edited:
Way I look at it max out any mpc 2000 xl u have and if they die buy another and put in your upgrades ...2000xl are like $400 these days

Getting the blue 2000xl will ensure longer lasting screen as the blue ones are newer and therefore haven't been used as long.

How can he tell if its not just an original with the Blue case as an upgrade? I upgraded my old MPC 2000XL like this, Blue Case, Black pads, 8 Outs

How can he tell if its not just an original with the Blue case as an upgrade? I upgraded my old MPC 2000XL like this, Blue Case, Black pads, 8 Outs
That's true.. But I don't think too many people will bother upgrading the case to the blue one as there is no other gain than just a different color.

Last edited:
Yeah the XL has screen issues and they are getting very hard to find.
Akai is not making replacements parts for any may made before the Mpc1000.

I would say just get a Mpc1000,It will probably cost you less.
It will have more features,a faster processer,more effects,and a better storage option ( a cf drive)

So if you do get the mpc2000xl make sure the screen has no lines,and try and find one with the 8 outs.

If you get the Mpc1k make sure all the pads are working and the Cf card drive works.

Back