MPC vs. MPD

RossdaBoss

TC beatsmith
Has anyone converted their MPC to the MPD with the conversion kit? And if so, was it worth it? The only real benefit I see is the 1Gb memory upgrade, which obviously would be a major improvement. You can probly find the upgrade for various prices but I saw it for about $300.

I'm wondering if it takes away from the vintage MPC sound that you're getting by getting an AKAI MPC and not a newer Akai/Numark MPC.

If anyone has done this, I'm interested in hearing your feedback.

Last edited:
They sell it at mpcstuffdotcom, I would post a direct link there but apparently I'm not allowed to. So, I cut and pasted the item description.

here is what their description says:

Product Description
This kit is everything you need to convert your regular MPC 2000 XL to the newest Blue MCD version. It is all very easy to install.

Here is whats included.

-Akai MPC 2000 XL Blue MCD Metal Casing (Not a skin) -Blacked Out Front Panel -Blue LCD Window -Complete MCD Multi Card Reader Kit (Black) for reading media cards. No more floppy! -1 GB Compact Flash Card -Akai MPC 2000 XL 1.20 Operating System For MPC2000 XL MCD (Loaded onto Flash Card)

Light Grey Pads are optional at an extra $18.00. Select Yes or No when ordering.

All these items are for the Akai MPC 2000 XL

We have install videos on installing most of these items.

It's about 300$

LOL MCD...and MPD....oh acronyms

there's no difference in sound. it's strictly a storage option. You can find ide flash drives for ~$60 online and install yourself

LOL MCD...and MPD....oh acronyms

It took me a minute, but I figured out he was talking about the MCD upgrade. Ha ha. Was confused for a minute. And it shouldn't be $300 on MPCStuff.com, I bought mine from them (unfortunately) for $150. As MellOo said, you can find them dirt cheap elsewhere online.

Back