MPC=MV8800 Killer...Sounds Stupid huh?

16Pads said:
How can someone praise a soundbox he just pulled out of the BOX. Homie, you said it yourself...My beatz aren't battle ready. Well you got penty of time to get ready. I said, get to know your toy first. Post up when you ready. Once again its cool that there is more than one choice of drum machines. Get it together guys.

You sensitive!

Thanks for proving my point. The MV is NOT a drum machine. It's considered in the workstation class but with drum machine and sampling in it. It can act as a total studio, vocal tracks, midi tracks, etc. mixed, master, and then burn to disc.

It don't take twelve years for me to instantly see that it' has more power than a typical sampling drum machine. People just take one look at the MV see the pads and think it's just an MPC clone becuase they saw 16 pads. Go look at the specs. The thing has its own DAW on it for complete project capability down to the vocals.

Thats my point

Sparrow said:
Thanks for proving my point. The MV is NOT a drum machine. It's considered in the workstation class but with drum machine and sampling in it. It can act as a total studio, vocal tracks, midi tracks, etc. mixed, master, and then burn to disc.

It don't take twelve years for me to instantly see that it' has more power than a typical sampling drum machine. People just take one look at the MV see the pads and think it's just an MPC clone becuase they saw 16 pads. Go look at the specs. The thing has its own DAW on it for complete project capability down to the vocals.

Thats my point
Dude why are you running down the list of What the MV can do? I know...I use to own one and sold it. I have PROTOOLS to mix, master, and to burn to CD or ipod. Get it. You sound like a commercial. Get to know you drum machine...sorry workstation and work that ish out. Post up when you're ready.
All the best:cheers:

best thing about the MV for me is Size
,is sequencer i love veiwing my beats from left to right its more song like

also the fact that u have projects...i can have a project for every album im working on...one project can have 16 songs ..thats why the mv8000 takes a little longer to load up people think its just a slow boot up.but its acturally loading multiple songs at once...

the size of the screen great makes a huge difference....plus vga capable..i dont have vga tho...

also the COSM effects are just top notch only gear with better or equal is the ASR-10

8 audio tracks are awsome i recorded hooks and vocals right into the mv but thats not what i use them for

i can have my boy come over and hook his turn table or gutare right up to the MV and play live over my beat while recording to HD live

the mastering suit is decent theres some good pre set settings but i dont use them much

The BUILT IN CDR is a great plus no need to pay another 300 bucks for the CDR its stock with the mv series and unlike the 4000 u can burn ur music on disc not just load..

the built of the MV surpases the mpc series..just comparing play record buttons to a mpc u can tell roland puts money in there products..
plus compare the MV data wheel to the mpc2500 or mpc1000 or now mpc 5000 data wheel and u can see how solid the MV series is

back to OS..Roland acturally makes there own OS plain and simple is that mind blowing:bigeyes:

MV offers both Linear and Pattern based sequencing..

lets move on the detail editiing the MV offers Piano roll like most modern daws do these days the mpc has seq edit and u need to look at numbers to edit and drop sounds out...not hard to do but takes alot longer and is possible to erase a wrong note

now lets look at somthing like the quick pads the MV has

we can press and hold one quick pad like copy and press the pad we want to copy and easly press other pads to copy the same sample to other pads with out effecting sampling ram(ie like the asr10)

i find that real effective way to chop a sample up

theres also a quick pad for erase so u can erase samples on the fly..

lets not forget about bpm sync we can grap a accapella and drop it to an audio track and with a flip of a switch we can bpm match are vocal to lock into track ...perfect for people who love to make remixes and mix tapes

we also have the ability just like the mpc to erase every sound not being used in a project in a press of a button

WOW theres so much more but u get the point

man theres no debate the MV kills the mpc PERIOD!!

but i still love mpc's that 2500 Le be catching my eye like crazy cause it just looks so cool with that pain job

anyway everyone just bang out

Last edited:
DiaboliC said:
the size of the screen great makes a huge difference....plus vga capable..i dont have vga tho...

also the COSM effects are just top notch only gear with better or equal is the ASR-10

the mastering suit is decent theres some good pre set settings but i dont use them much

the built of the MV surpases the mpc series..just comparing play record buttons to a mpc u can tell roland puts money in there products..
plus compare the MV data wheel to the mpc2500 or mpc1000 or now mpc 5000 data wheel and u can see how solid the MV series is

lets move on the detail editiing the MV offers Piano roll like most modern daws do these days the mpc has seq edit and u need to look at numbers to edit and drop sounds out...not hard to do but takes alot longer and is possible to erase a wrong note

now lets look at somthing like the quick pads the MV has

we also have the ability just like the mpc to erase every sound not being used in a project in a press of a button

man theres no debate the MV kills the mpc PERIOD!!

but i still love mpc's that 2500 Le be catching my eye like crazy cause it just looks so cool with that pain job

anyway everyone just bang out

you sound dull and full of ****. Sounds like you don't even use your machine(s). Every other month you buy a new piece of gear and then turn around and sell it.

The MV kills the MPC where? Sounds wise? Certainly not at 96khz, 24bit like my 4000, or 12bit 40khz like my 60.

Built wise - the MV is the MPC knock-off. everybody will tell you that. and the pads? oh man, don't even start on the pads. The pads on the MV are stiff and hard as ****.

The MPC 60's are 20 years old and they still work. I doubt that would be the case for the MV 20 years from now. Not to mention the price of used MV's are dropping crazy on ebay, and some of them are only 2,3 months old.

The effects - not really care since nowadays most producers use some kinda D.A.Ws and those that come with the D.A.Ws are better than the effects on the MV anyway.

The pattern based sequencing makes the MV look like Fruity Loops, that's another turn-off.

All in all, just do you, learn your machine. But don't come in here bashing any machine while you still haven't done a thing with what you've got yet.

Again like I said, if you want, post up a beat, I can smoke whatever beat you'll bring from your MV with the 26 seconds sampling time on my MPC 60.

yall arguin like kids bout who got the better toys. No matter what its always gonna come down to personal preference

lmao ur mpc is pattern based idiot lmao

and dude can u burn a cd?oh yea i forgot akai never upgraded the os for that

and fx are a major plus idiot i dont know about u but i like to run my samples thru efx and creat my own sound out of it i couldnt imagine trying to add fx last thats the a very stupid move

man i OWNED mpc4000 so kid dont even bother trying to argue with me HAVE U OWNED A MV?NO THEN SIT DOWN AND LET GROWN MEN TALK

i dont care about MV or MPC i rather Use Reason 4.0 On my 20 Inch Wide screen anyway i just know the MV kills the mpc series and sorry but u can keep that 96k sound i dont need my **** sounding clean and transperant

and if u read u can see i said the mv is both linear and pattern dummy

some of u kids are not so smart man

DiaboliC said:
lmao ur mpc is pattern based idiot lmao

and dude can u burn a cd?oh yea i forgot akai never upgraded the os for that

and fx are a major plus idiot i dont know about u but i like to run my samples thru efx and creat my own sound out of it i couldnt imagine trying to add fx last thats the a very stupid move

man i OWNED mpc4000 so kid dont even bother trying to argue with me HAVE U OWNED A MV?NO THEN SIT DOWN AND LET GROWN MEN TALK

i dont care about MV or MPC i rather Use Reason 4.0 On my 20 Inch Wide screen anyway i just know the MV kills the mpc series and sorry but u can keep that 96k sound i dont need my **** sounding clean and transperant

and if u read u can see i said the mv is both linear and pattern dummy

some of u kids are not so smart man
nigga i mistyped what i meant was the the fruity loops lookalike sequencing style on the MV sucks.

how does the MV kills the MPC?

you don't care about 24bit 96khz but yet you wanna sample with effects? Ain't nobody calling adding effects last stupid except for you noob. I said the effects are unnecessary cuz nowadays everybody and their moms got plugins in the DAW which sound 100 times better than the cheesy effects on your sorry ass MV. Same thing with the CD thing, who cares about burning a CD from your MV? Have you done it before yourself? I hardly see anybody finished the whole project on an MV. There is a lot of better alternatives.

ak.sys? MV got that too right?

I ****ed with the MV but it's not for me. Different strokes for different folks.

You couldn't **** with the 4000, what happened? Let me guess, you're too full of **** and only care about the lastest gear just so you can have a braggin right. You never actually took the time to learn how to use your ****.

Again like I said, post up a beat. Any kind of beat you like, I'll serve your silly ass Reason or MV beat anytime.

Last edited:
lol at the sp 555 out-doing the mpc 1000. First off that is an apples to oranges comparison, but at any rate the mpc's are geared mainly towards production and sampling......and the sp is geared toward dj's and etc.

Ya'll are killin me.
I got the MV8000 (w/ VGA) and got the MPC2000XL (w/ card reader and internal 9Gb hard drive). I like 'em both. I make beats on both. Won't sell either one.
Make some music with whatever you got fellas.

One...

Last edited:
LOL, I ain't in this debate anymore since I don't use either, but as for beats, I must say, one of the biggest worldwide rap hits in the last three or four years was made on the MV.

50 Cent's I Get Money.

Does it matter? Maybe to some, but it shouldn't...

there is such thing as "this is better than that"... and not only on a person level either PSI TECH.
take a look at history, inventions and innovations and you will realize that your statement was wrong. i had a mpc1000 and ended up getting a mv8800, simply because i rather do everything on one machine. is the mpc1000 a lesser machine compared to the mv8800? or is the mv8800 better than the mpc1000?

beatznbooze said:
nigga i mistyped what i meant was the the fruity loops lookalike sequencing style on the MV sucks.

how does the MV kills the MPC?

you don't care about 24bit 96khz but yet you wanna sample with effects? Ain't nobody calling adding effects last stupid except for you noob. I said the effects are unnecessary cuz nowadays everybody and their moms got plugins in the DAW which sound 100 times better than the cheesy effects on your sorry ass MV. Same thing with the CD thing, who cares about burning a CD from your MV? Have you done it before yourself? I hardly see anybody finished the whole project on an MV. There is a lot of better alternatives.

ak.sys? MV got that too right?

I ****ed with the MV but it's not for me. Different strokes for different folks.

You couldn't **** with the 4000, what happened? Let me guess, you're too full of **** and only care about the lastest gear just so you can have a braggin right. You never actually took the time to learn how to use your ****.

Again like I said, post up a beat. Any kind of beat you like, I'll serve your silly ass Reason or MV beat anytime.

If you think fruity loops, Acid, reason etc handle samples better than an MV then all I will say is that YOU are ignorant of facts. Printed facts. I own one and I used both Acid Pro 6 and FL. The MV takes an Axe to the head of ANY DAW for sampling work. Sorry man. It isn't close.

So go load up your 4 different libraries, and your VSTi and then into your DAW for 17 different processes, and by the time you are done, my sample will sound richer (because my HD is dedicated for handling samples), not windows operating systems and dll and exe files or Mac files as a first priority. Spend a crap load ona sound card, a really good mixer, and Kontakt, FXpansion Guru etc. and my beats will come out sounding fifteen times hotter in half to quarter of the time it took you to drag and drop and cut pastee like crazy. Mucisians like creativity not programming. Besidesd that, the sound chips in the MV will just bust a nut on your average set up. If you got $4000 -$5000 sure you can out do the MV in sound for samples and drums, but thats twice the price of the MV. Then you still have the upgrades, l;atency between softwares, interconnectability. At least 5 pieces of gear midi'd everywherre, etc.

Your statements sound like the words of some software fanboy that has never even touched an MV long enough to know better about what you are saying.

how does mv take an axe to fl7 sampling wise? DONT GET ALL KIMBO SLICE ON ME IM JUST ASKING...I DONT OWN A MV, but i do own mpc and for me fl7 is killin it in terms of sampling? i chop and work with samples wayyy faster and more efficient on fl than i did on mpc (like i said i dont own a mv) and the samples come out just as crunchy...rich i mean...i dont have 4 or 5 peices of gear all middied up....JUST ASKING

Last edited by a moderator:
This may have to do with your workflow as it pertains to the MPC.

If you work fast with graphics and a mouse you can do that with the MV with the VGA outs and a monitor attached, you have auto beat matching for samples, the sequencer is lights out becuase it is more detailed, etc.

You can load samples onboard via the CDRW drive and don't need external gear and you can place your samples after editting by just typing ina pad or dragging and dropping it to a pad.

The warm punchy sound is distinct on the MV from it's chip design gives the MV a character and punch to the sounds and samplesthat your DAW can't get unless you put hours of work.

Oh and it also maps and multisamples to midi keyboard unlike any other HW sampler. it auto maps to the keys and pitch shifts for you. In zones or full 61 to 88 if you want and turns everything you put in it into an instrument if you want it too.

want me to go on.....

Sparrow said:
The MV takes an Axe to the head of ANY DAW for sampling work. Sorry man. It isn't close.

Hmmm....not tryin to detract or argue, but I must say with either FL or Reason, this may be in fact the case. However, I believe that either PT, Logic, Cubase/Nuendo, Digital Performer or Sonar with good A/D conversion (Apogee, Lavry) is in a class of it's own. Thinking realistically, people would use samplers for vocals and other tracking if the sound quality was that much more superior. MV is a great piece though...def. one of the top 5 at the moment..so I neither agree or disagree really, just puttin that point out there. It's all good...no flames.

Sparrow said:
This may have to do with your workflow as it pertains to the MPC.

If you work fast with graphics and a mouse you can do that with the MV with the VGA outs and a monitor attached, you have auto beat matching for samples, the sequencer is lights out becuase it is more detailed, etc.

You can load samples onboard via the CDRW drive and don't need external gear and you can place your samples after editting by just typing ina pad or dragging and dropping it to a pad.

The warm punchy sound is distinct on the MV from it's chip design gives the MV a character and punch to the sounds and samplesthat your DAW can't get unless you put hours of work.

Oh and it also maps and multisamples to midi keyboard unlike any other HW sampler. it auto maps to the keys and pitch shifts for you. In zones or full 61 to 88 if you want and turns everything you put in it into an instrument if you want it too.

want me to go on.....
yes please go on...i can do all that on fl...fl maps eveything to keyboard, i dont want to have to burn to cd then go and load into mpc or mv and then sample when i can do it straight away and switch to something different and grab another sample from somewhere else with out having to go burn another cd, my samples are crunchy to begin with...(and if you are burning them to cd assuming its not a data burn, your samples are being reduced to 16 bit, whereas if im recording 24 bit from vinyl i always get crunchier samples in my experience) .i figured mv could do all this i just thought there was something else that i didnt know that it had some type of advantage over fl, im not being a smart ass at all, i just have the "hook up" on lots of gear so i was contemplating whether or not it was worth me scooping up...thats all

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why this all matters, but I still can't resist a good debate....

I have a an MPC-4000 and an MV-8800... and Reason 4 and Ableton Live 7 and a bunch of other hardware and software. I've worked with all of these in some form or another and have gotten pretty familiar with all of their capabilities. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

My work process changes depending on what I am in the mood for at the moment -- whatever I am "feeling" at the moment. I can't see myself getting stuck on one way of doing things all the time. I would get bored. That's just me though. Everyone has a different way of working.

Why get all worked up over how someone else works and what they work on? If you bust some crazy beats, well you know it and chances are other people know it. Talented musicians can recognize other talented musicians when they hear it.

It's not what you use, but how you use it.

Last week I created a beat on my MPC which is connected to a S6000 Sampler. I recorded the beat into my MV and chopped that beat up and made a completely different song out of it. It came out pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. In the end, I mastered and saved it and imported it into my PC and burned it onto a CD.

So tell me, what's wrong with that?

spaceling said:
Not sure why this all matters, but I still can't resist a good debate....

I have a an MPC-4000 and an MV-8800... and Reason 4 and Ableton Live 7 and a bunch of other hardware and software. I've worked with all of these in some form or another and have gotten pretty familiar with all of their capabilities. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

My work process changes depending on what I am in the mood for at the moment -- whatever I am "feeling" at the moment. I can't see myself getting stuck on one way of doing things all the time. I would get bored. That's just me though. Everyone has a different way of working.

Why get all worked up over how someone else works and what they work on? If you bust some crazy beats, well you know it and chances are other people know it. Talented musicians can recognize other talented musicians when they hear it.

It's not what you use, but how you use it.

Last week I created a beat on my MPC which is connected to a S6000 Sampler. I recorded the beat into my MV and chopped that beat up and made a completely different song out of it. It came out pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. In the end, I mastered and saved it and imported it into my PC and burned it onto a CD.

So tell me, what's wrong with that?

whats wrong with that?

answer: not a damn thing

Sparrow you ever watch the office. Your answer was like something Dwight would say.

Question whats wrong with that.
Answer nothing.
Go beats and battlestar galatica lol.

Back