MPC Help

NomadBeats7

Wats good fp. Ive been on the forum a bit and I kinda just stay under the radar Reading thread after thread. Anyway i finally got the cash to get an mpc and I've been looking into the 2500,2000xl,1000,4000,and 5000.i see a lot of great features on newer versions but I'm leaning towards the 2000xl I've been told a lot of good things. The only downside is transferring sounds between it and my DAW. The 5000 looks beast but I've herd comes with a lot of bugs. I really like the sequencing on the mpcs an i mostly want to use mine to make beats with sounds I have in FL studio 10. And REason 4. And to
Chop and use samples.

Can anyone give me some
Info and what they think would be a good choice? Much appreciated

-Nomad

Wats good fp. Ive been on the forum a bit and I kinda just stay under the radar Reading thread after thread. Anyway i finally got the cash to get an mpc and I've been looking into the 2500,2000xl,1000,4000,and 5000.i see a lot of great features on newer versions but I'm leaning towards the 2000xl I've been told a lot of good things. The only downside is transferring sounds between it and my DAW. The 5000 looks beast but I've herd comes with a lot of bugs. I really like the sequencing on the mpcs an i mostly want to use mine to make beats with sounds I have in FL studio 10. And REason 4. And to
Chop and use samples.

Can anyone give me some
Info and what they think would be a good choice? Much appreciated

-Nomad

I would get a 1000 or 2500 personally. A lot easier to load files and such since they have card readers and usb.

I would get a 1000 or 2500 personally. A lot easier to load files and such since they have card readers and usb.
You can install a card reader on 2000XL too (and naturally op could look for one that already has it). They even sold the 2000XL-mcd version around the time the 1000 came out, it had the card reader installed by default.

Workflow will be different (=not necessary better, depends on what you like) with any of the MPC's when compared to DAW's. Working with a DAW only will be a lot faster and flexible. But I take it that you've tried some MPC's out as you mentioned that you like sequencing on an MPC..

Also, you may want a DAW that is more suitable for recording to accompany the MPC, as you will be tracking out from your MPC and most likely will be mixing the beats in your computer too.

Yeah. I especially like the 2500. Easy USB connection for both like you said

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

You can install a card reader on 2000XL too (and naturally op could look for one that already has it). They even sold the 2000XL-mcd version around the time the 1000 came out, it had the card reader installed by default.

Workflow will be different (=not necessary better, depends on what you like) with any of the MPC's when compared to DAW's. Working with a DAW only will be a lot faster and flexible. But I take it that you've tried some MPC's out as you mentioned that you like sequencing on an MPC..

Also, you may want a DAW that is more suitable for recording to accompany the MPC, as you will be tracking out from your MPC and most likely will be mixing the beats in your computer too.

Yeah I've tried 2 out the 2000xl an the 5000. But what is so difficult about transferring sounds from an xl to my DAW like if I make a beat on the xl and then want to mix it down
In fl studio or reason 4 what would I have to do to do that?

like if I make a beat on the xl and then want to mix it down

Track it out. The quickest/easiest way to do it would be to have as many ins & outs as possible. Otherwise you'll have to do somethin like track out each sound one by one.

Yeah I've tried 2 out the 2000xl an the 5000. But what is so difficult about transferring sounds from an xl to my DAW like if I make a beat on the xl and then want to mix it down

You would be recording the tracks to get the beats on your computer, not just transferring the sounds back. You can't record external audio to Reason 4 and I would say that imho recording audio isn't one of FL's strongest points. You could get it done easier with, for example, Reaper.

Hmmm? What do you mean I'd have to recorde it? After the beats made on the mpc for example I've seen a friend of mine make the beat but then he has to dump the xl or something and transfer the tracks to fl studio
And start mixing/editing it there?
And which would be Better, a zip drive, McD, or the floppy method?

IMHO... Get the 2500 + JJOS or a 4000.
Don't fk with floppies, Zips or Jaz drives/disks. Use compact flash cards.

Last edited:
Hmmm? What do you mean I'd have to recorde it? After the beats made on the mpc for example I've seen a friend of mine make the beat but then he has to dump the xl or something and transfer the tracks to fl studio
And start mixing/editing it there?
The tracks are recorded from MPC to computer, meaning you click record in your DAW and let your MPC play the beat.. TRS cables from audio outs from MPC to audio ins of computer's audio interface and you either use MIDI to tricker MPC when you hit record and get the tracks aligning properly or hit start from MPC manually and align tracks yourself.

Ok. It sounds more complicated with the xl or older models. So would you guys recommend the xl at all? If its really such a hassle with zip drives and the McD I might just go with the 2500. But can anyone explain how to work with an McD drive or zip drive? Never really worked with the old school tech?

The mcd expansion is a multi card reader, reads compact flash cards. Not old-school tech.

You have old information the mpc5000 has no more bugs.
5k or 4k are the best. 1k is best deal for the money.
Narrow your decision down to those 3.

I'd go with the 1000. It's plenty powerful and if you put a hard drive in it, you can store everything there.
With the HDD and maxed RAM, I've never bottomed it out.

Back