MPC 60 still an option nowadays??

mwindstrom

Quick question. I have seen a used mpc60 for $400. Seems to be in ok condition. I have an asr-x, sp-404, mpc500, kp3, macbook with ableton live, also have fl studio on desktop, komplete and kore2, omni and alchemy and padkontrol. Does it make sense to get the mpc60? How can it help me? Thanks for reading.

if you want it for a specific reason then yes, do you NEED it, probably not. It's still a good sampler, or if you want it for a specific sound it gives... not sure how it can "help" you, but like I said...right now, it's sorta like hot sauce for you....it won't kill you if you don't have it, but if you do it just may give you a lil extra flavor hahaha lol.

I head it has a good sequencer. Plus it make drums sound real punchy and in your face crunchy. I would use it to sequence my other samplers and my keyboard synth. Just wanted to know if you guys think $400 is a good deal.

dunno lol, it's all subjective to what you want/need. Some may think it's a good deal, others may think it's overpriced. I personally probably wouldn't pay 400 for one, but...that's cuz it's not something i'm looking for :)

I say if you want it, get it! If you don't like it, sell it lol.

I would think that is around the normal price for a used one, 300-400 or so.

Thanks joe. I just hear about all of these hits that were made on the unbelievable "swing" machines: the mpc 60 and the mpc3000. Thought it could be the icing on my sonic cake.

you can def get ya swing on with what you have lol...they have a lil different feel but it's not magic, they are just good sequencers.

ill buy a mpc 60 for $400 without thinking about it. The mpc 60 is a great machine especially if you know what you are doing. only like 30 seconds of sample time tho so you cant take huge chunks

A MPC 60 for $400 is a good deal. Especially if its in good condition.

With the setup you have it's not really necessary though. Are you into MPC's or are you just looking for additional ways to upgrade you setup?

Xabiton, man it's only 30 seconds of sample time?? come on man, I got 2 sp404s (the regular ones). I could get like probably 12 hours sample time at the standard sample rate for both of them. Maybe I won't get it. Hey P. Casso, I'm not really into mpcs. My power sampler for mangling and making samples better (big boy) is the asr-x. The only thing is its sequencer is not up to par. I haven't really found a good way to master the mpc500's sequencer. I mean it's ok but you just have to time the tracks right. I keep hearing the sequencer on the mpc3000 and mpc60 is dope plus the lo-fi sampling is good for certain types of drums you push through it. That is also why I was considering the sp303 for this reason seeing as it can grunge up a sample in a good way.

Do you know if it has the 3.10 upgrade or the ram upgrade? The 3.10 upgrade brings the OS up to par with the 3000. The original OS:
Can only sample 5 seconds at a time
With ram upgrade-26 seconds w/o 13 seconds sample time
No monophony=(single pads overlap when pressed numerously)
Only 2 pad banks

3.10 ups all the above.

To upgrade the ram and OS would be around $350, so if it doesn't have it you might want to think about it. I'm using a 60 with no upgrades and it forces you to be creative with the way you chop and sample. An S900/950 is a WAY more in depth sampler. That might be an option for you midi upped with sequencer of choice

Work around for limited sampling time is speed up your playback on the turntable...playing 35's on 45 speed and pitch up, sample then tune down.

The MPC 60 is still an option! Got one love and use it quite a bit. It has a good sound and feel with the sequencer. It might add a little creative spark to what you already have. Good luck research and keep creating.

yo kutkeyz and kno1ills, was it worth it? Do you think its better than the asr-x, because that's my trojan horse if you know what I mean. If it doesn't have the upgrade, do you think it's still worth it to buy for $400? As a matter of fact, I'm about to check on ebay to see how much some of these bad boys are going for? That way, if I don't want to keep it, I could resell it and do the bankhead bounce.

i would say the mpc60 is a pointless buy nowadays especially if you already have an asr-x, sp-404, mpc500 and are also working with multiple daws (flstudio and ableton). the mpc60 would be redundant and would offer you nothing new.

in saying that if i saw an mpc60 for 400 dollars (or the equivalent in euros) i would probably grab it because i like mpcs. if you're asking wheter or not you should buy it then i don't know if it would be for you. maybe you'd be better off with a newer mpc model.

I'll say that comparing a ASR-x and an MPC 60 it's hard to say it depends on what your looking for. Had both once upon a time and I still have the MPC I still think it's a good buy. good luck!

Using it as a primary sequencer could work out for you. But the only problem is if you are having problems with sequencing in the MPC500 then you might run into some of the same problems with the MPC60. If you don't mind, explain what problem you are having with the MPC500

P.S. If you can, get the MPC60 for $400. There are people on the net that will give you over double that. So you can make your money back easily if you don't like it.

Last edited:
I feel the push to buy older samplers is more of an era based decision. Guys who are into the golden/boom bap era are stuck on the 60's and 3000's the sp's, and 12 bit rack samplers. And we tend to use them even though there's only 13 seconds of sample time and lack a grip of features that a 2500 or an MV might have. It's also all the built up hype about this machine has magic capabilities to make drums go smash and the swing is brilliant. The producers behind them are brilliant and knew how to freak those machines to produce the sound of the culture. Not saying a 3000 and a 2500 are on the same level, just that alot of people buy the older ones just to have them and be connected to the sound the grew up with or learned to love rather than 'this is the only machine capable of producing this sound' mentality.

It's almost comparable to the Neve glory days and the tone they provided and how the portico line has come around as a more clean and clear sound, but the vintage Neve sound is still what guys want.

P. Casso, the problem that I'm having with the mpc60 is that when I record beats into a sequence it seems to never playback the way that I recorded and intended it to be. It seems as though the sequencer is kind of forcing the track to stay within certain limits -- within certain quarter notes. I hope you understand what I'm saying. I'm just getting started so maybe there's something I overlooked in the manual.

Yo no1ills, I hear what you are saying. I agree to a certain extent. I feel that if I had one more sampler I could be good. Right now, I'm trying to decide between the mpc60 and the esx1. The 12-bit sound is what I'm missing right now. That' the main reason with I want to get the mpc60 or the 3000 but if the sample time is so limited I think I'll pass. There must be some workaround. As a matter of fact, let me ask you guys something...If I had a computer with an old soundcard and I had a daw on it, do you think I would be able to get 12 bit sounds out of it that way?

P. Casso, the problem that I'm having with the mpc60 is that when I record beats into a sequence it seems to never playback the way that I recorded and intended it to be. It seems as though the sequencer is kind of forcing the track to stay within certain limits -- within certain quarter notes. I hope you understand what I'm saying. I'm just getting started so maybe there's something I overlooked in the manual.

Yo no1ills, I hear what you are saying. I agree to a certain extent. I feel that if I had one more sampler I could be good. Right now, I'm trying to decide between the mpc60 and the esx1. The 12-bit sound is what I'm missing right now. That' the main reason with I want to get the mpc60 or the 3000 but if the sample time is so limited I think I'll pass. There must be some workaround. As a matter of fact, let me ask you guys something...If I had a computer with an old soundcard and I had a daw on it, do you think I would be able to get 12 bit sounds out of it that way?

Have you tried changing the timing correct in the 500? Never used a 500 but mess with the notes and triplets.

It's 27 seconds sample time. If you speed up your turntable and sample then pitch down the sample you get more. It also adds to the lofi sound. A 1/4 of a second for each kick, snare, hihat, crash and you've only sampled 1 second.

If you're just starting off, I'd stick with the 500 as the sequencer and the ASR for whatever else. Or look into a rack sampler. I use my 60 with an S900 if I need more sample time or the filters.

Back