Mpc 2000xl vs/or 500?

coco2888

Ok I'm new to hardware but have plenty xp with software and have decided to purchase my first long awaited mpc. Ive found deals for an mpc 500 at 300$ and and mpc 2000 xl at 400$. At these prices I jus want the better machine. The 500 comes with everything standard and xl comes with a zip drive but I don't know what that is. I have lots of sounds on my computers stored. I also have a few keyboards, reason pro tools and fl studio to work with. With all these factors in mind what would be the best machine to work with? Pro and cons? Personal choices? Thanks ahead for all your help guys.

xl comes with a zip drive but I don't know what that is
It's a drive for zip disks where you'll be saving your projects. You can purchase an usb zip drive for your computer and move sounds from your computer to your mpc with the disks. You can also upgrade it to a memory card drive, there are tutorials online for it.
Zip_disk.jpg

I personally wouldn't even consider the 500 unless I needed a portable machine really bad. Make sure that you have read all the specs on the machines before buying and that you understand what they do. The workflow will be different (read: slower) and might take a bit of time getting used to seeing that you are an Fl & Reason user. You got Pro Tools, so you can use that to record your tracks from your mpc to mix the in the box.

And if you decide to get the 2000xl, make sure it has maxed out ram (32mb), no lines on the screen and maybe the 8-outs expansion.

Mpc2000xl VS Mpc500
Here is how they stack up.

Mpc2000xl with 8 out expander has more outputs,its also as 2 midi ports.(The Mpc500 only have one Midi port)
Both machines have limited sample editing features but they do have timestreatch.
The Xl has zone chop(for manual chopping of samples) the Mpc500 does not.
The 500 on the other hand has a lot more effects,a better storage option (cf card) and unlike the xl it is a supported Akai product.
The Mpc500 also has the ability to run on batterys (something no other MPC can do) .
However the Mpc2000xl is a lot easier to learn .
All that said if where you I would otp to get a Mpc1000 (or 25k or 5k if you can afford it )
If you looking for a cheap but great Mpc the MPC1000 is you mpc hands down.
Best MPC for the buck.

The 500 on the other hand has a lot more effects,a better storage option (cf card)
You can install that to the 2000xl as well, or even find one that already has it, they sold 2000xl-mcd's for some time after all and people have been installing the card readers by themselves too.

Back