mpc 2000xl or...?

A_M_P

I just got my 2000xl 3 days ago for a good price off craigslist and im thinking about re selling it. It seems like a lot of extra things need to be bought. Like to get sounds from my computer i would need to buy and external usb zip plus zip disks. It just seems like a lot of extra work plus money. Im thinking about re selling it and getting an mpc 1000. From what i read its much easier to transfer sounds from the computer to the mpc 1000.. just drag and drop. Or I was also thinking about getting an mpd 32 again (I had one before) i really did like it but i just like the feel of the MPC. I dont know why but just making beats on the MPC makes making beats in general much more exciting to me. I was also looking at the Maschine. I did some research on it and it seems kind of confusing but im sure if i got it i would figure it out. But a couple questions on Maschine: Would it work as a midi controller inside reason? Also could i use the sounds it comes with inside of reason? What would be some pros and cons of either getting the mpc 1000 over maschine or vice versa?

Thanks in advance.

If you want a midi controller for Reason I wouldn't bother with Maschine. The big question here I think is what do you use now? Maschine, a mpc 1000/2000xl, and Reason are really all overlapping one another. If you need something that interfaces with a computer fast and easy a mpc 1000 or maschine might be better for you. The mpc 2000xl can read wavs from regular floppy disks which are a lot cheaper than zip disks and zip drives. Or you can get a card reader which again is spending more than you probably want to but there are options out there if u really want to rock the mpc. even with a new 1000 youll have to buy extras anyway btw. Thats the life of using hardware instruments.

Why do you need to transfer from PC to MPC just sample the audio directly into the 2000 Xl. an MPC is an all in one unit you don't need the computer what is on your computer that you need? you can chop on the mpc and sample direct in.

I mainly wanted to use my drum samples from the pc because i cant find any drums to sample alone on records. But then again ive only been digging once and i dont have many records. I have a couple questions on the mpc.. How do you arrange complete songs? like say you have 2 drum sequences, both 4 bars long. One is for a verse and the other for a chorus. How do you arrange it so that the verse drum sequence plays for 16 bars and then goes into the chorus drum sequence for 8 bars? I cant figure it out. Also how would i connect the mpc to computer to record finished beats into pro tools? it would be MIDI out on the mpc to what on my interface?

just my 2 cents first off the mpc 2kxl is a great first beat machine,... it will last you a good long while. now as far as a usb zip drive- they are crazy cheap (under $15 on ebay)
and are very nice to have or you could upgrade to a compact flash/sd reader for your mpc .... that will basically work the same as if you had an mpc 1000 to drag and drop to.
as for maschine. yeah you can use it as a very very nice midi controller and also the same way you would use an mpc. i personally love my maschine but like i said the 2kxl is a great machine and i have no intentions of selling it even though i hardly use it now that i have maschine... (the mpc is a classic for a reason) the extra output of cash you need to lay out for your 2kxl is minimal. stick with it in my opinion, at least as long as the screen is still in good condition.

This is just sad. First off, never buy anything before knowing the facts. The MPC was built years ago. Technology has advanced and when someone gets one of these magical machines, they're like WTF!
I owned the MPC 2000XL-MCD - Comfact Flash Drive. I used a usb-CF plug to transfer sounds from my mac if I wasn't sampling from a turntable-DVD/CD player - connected to my mixer. Yes, a mixer. The output of the mixer into the record in MPC. Complex huh...I'm I losing you OP.

I hope you learned your lesson OP. Just get Fruity Loops.

Last edited:
This is just sad. First off, never buy anything before knowing the facts. The MPC was built years ago. Technology has advanced and when someone gets one of these magical machines, they're like WTF!
I owned the MPC 2000XL-MCD - Comfact Flash Drive. I used a usb-CF plug to transfer sounds from my mac if I wasn't sampling from a turntable-DVD/CD player - connected to my mixer. Yes, a mixer. The output of the mixer into the record in MPC. Complex huh...I'm I losing you OP.

I hope you learned your lesson OP. Just get Fruity Loops.

No you didn't lose me and that's not what i was asking. Try and read my post more carefully before having a smart ass answer like that. Thank you for your time though.

i love my mpc 2000xl i bought a zip for the mpc and one for the pc for $30 all together. will never trade it for the world

Do you have the manual? If not, google it.

I mainly wanted to use my drum samples from the pc because i cant find any drums to sample alone on records.
You can always record in to your mpc from your computers audio outputs..

How do you arrange complete songs? like say you have 2 drum sequences, both 4 bars long. One is for a verse and the other for a chorus. How do you arrange it so that the verse drum sequence plays for 16 bars and then goes into the chorus drum sequence for 8 bars? I cant figure it out.
Arrange the sequences in "SONG" mode (shift +1). It's fast and simple to do.

Also how would i connect the mpc to computer to record finished beats into pro tools? it would be MIDI out on the mpc to what on my interface?
http://www.akaipro.com/syncprotools
This is from Akai's website. It's for the newer models but you will set it up the same way on 2000XL.

No you didn't lose me and that's not what i was asking. Try and read my post more carefully before having a smart ass answer like that. Thank you for your time though.
I wasn't addressing what you asked. I was addressing the fact you made a purchase and had no clue. Is this a habit of yours?:confused:

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

i love my mpc 2000xl i bought a zip for the mpc and one for the pc for $30 all together. will never trade it for the world
Have you thought about getting a compact flash-MCD?

If you have a laptop with a SD card drive, you can get a SD card drive for the MPC for $60. It's worth the investment. PM me if you want the link

As far as MPC or software, you've gone the software route and it's brought you to buying a piece of hardware. So give it some time and see how it feels. For the first month or 3 you'll be getting acquainted with the machine. Read the manual sitting in front of the machine and wrap your head around how it was designed to work.

Hardware samplers can be a pain in the ass (tracking, slow processors, limited disk space) but as a whole they feel much better than a computer. Over time you figure out how the new technology can augment the MPC's. Trust me I'm trying to leave the MPC because I see how powerful the software is but nothing feels quite like my drum machine.

Every piece of equipment has its drawbacks..it takes years to figure out the combination of tools you'll need to craft the music in your head.

@ cash daily.... this is a forum that is here to help inform and better the community... what your doing is known as trolling. it's not helpful to anyone.
he had some specific questions. and yes a link to the manual may help him. and even some very basic youtube vids will help but the point is, if you can't get help on FUTUREproducers then where can you.....
hope you realize your misstep.

i too could have replied with an ******* response i've seen this same question asked a million times... but will that help him? would it have helped you?
------------

i been banging out beats on the mpc 2000xl all night i swear how did i live without it. i messed around wit fl. played with nexus sampletank massive hypersonic got board and went back to the mpc fantom and m-50.

Like few others have said on this thread, I suggest you still take a look at the card reader instead of that hard drive. It will make it a lot easier to transfer samples from your computer using cf or sd cards.

There are some kits around for it (going price around $100 ie. mpcstuff.com), but you can get it cheaper if you search online for the reader. The specs that you need are: IDE, Atapi and adopt native driver.

Here's a good tutorial on how to install it.
http://home.tiscali.nl/~smeyer/mpc/

And if you get MPCEditor, you'll be able to make programs for your 2000xl on your computer and make loading the sounds faster. It's only $30 and there's a 30 day free trial.

yeah playboy stick with it. once you master it i promise you wont regret. i have one zip drive that i load sounds on from the comp to pc. then save each songs zip on my pc in a folder. its a pain but banging beats versus clicking in fl is niiiiiiiice. i never touch my mouse til i hit cakewalk sonar. i will never go back to software unless i am hard up for cash and it would need to be its either sell hardware or go to soup kitchen to eat. and even then i"d try to eat some wires for nurishment first. ha

If you have a laptop with a SD card drive, you can get a SD card drive for the MPC for $60. It's worth the investment. PM me if you want the link

As far as MPC or software, you've gone the software route and it's brought you to buying a piece of hardware. So give it some time and see how it feels. For the first month or 3 you'll be getting acquainted with the machine. Read the manual sitting in front of the machine and wrap your head around how it was designed to work.

Hardware samplers can be a pain in the ass (tracking, slow processors, limited disk space) but as a whole they feel much better than a computer. Over time you figure out how the new technology can augment the MPC's. Trust me I'm trying to leave the MPC because I see how powerful the software is but nothing feels quite like my drum machine.

Every piece of equipment has its drawbacks..it takes years to figure out the combination of tools you'll need to craft the music in your head.
if it takes you 3 months to get used to a mpc you should probably just quit lol. seriously I had mine down in a few hours. the mpc series imo is probably the most user friendly piece of hardware out there.

if it takes you 3 months to get used to a mpc you should probably just quit lol. seriously I had mine down in a few hours. the mpc series imo is probably the most user friendly piece of hardware out there.

damn. not everybody has "The Glow" like you. We talkin bout the XL or earlier took you 3 hours, right?

Anyone can sit down at the mpc assign a few sounds and sequence something. That's not what we're talking about here.

Back