MP3 player to a stage monitor (Balanced and unbalanced, 3.5mm to XLR)

abc27

Yes I know this isn't ideal and no I can't go buy any more equipment... now that that's out of the way.

Here's the deal, I have access to a stage monitor with two balanced XLR inputs, one at line level and one mic level. Presumably they're mono inputs. I plan on connecting an MP3 player or laptop to it which as you all know is an unbalanced, 3.5mm connector outputting in stereo...

MP3 Player (3.5mm) --> 3.5mm stereo to 6.35mm mono --> 6.35mm mono to XLR

Would I have any issues with phase cancellation with a setup like that?

Any and all phase issues will come back to the individual mixes of each track you try to play - if they are properly mixed then the phase issues will be minimal, if not then the phase issues could be huge

Your setup is aimed at using a basic y split mixer (your stereo to mono conversion cable) without any balance/impedance matching resistors in the signal path.

As such, there is no separation between the two channels whilst being mixed; in most situations this is probably not a problem

Also, are we talking about an active stage monitor? Signal from a MP3 player to a regular passive speaker won't do much anything.

given that there are line and mic level inputs to the monitor, I would assume that we are talking about an active box (a box with a built-in amp for those who may be wondering)

Back