Motu BPM vs Fxpansion Guru?

orjanbeats

Does anybody have experience with both, and can say something about the pros and cons of each, compared to eachother?

I'm using Reason right now, but I'm considering switching to Ableton Live since we're gonna use Live at school, and I'm also getting sick of not being able to timestretch samples as I make the beat. I like the step sequencer in Redrum, thats why I'm asking about the drum plugins. I can rewire Reason into Live, I know I know, but I still wanna hear some opinions on Guru compared to BPM..

Thanks

Hey bro, i'm going to give a run down on your question. Whenever i see a guru or bpm i get excited. i have both so i can give an fair assumption. Ableton live is the bomb also. I came from reason to ableton and i just use Reason as a sound module into rewire. Here ya go.

Guru - this guy is a beast, i have made over 200 songs with this plugin it is my bread and butter vst. You can do everything an mpc can and cant do. I pretty much keep it with me on a flash drive just incase i go to a studio that does not have it. lol The sequencer is so sick to the point you can make a beat in seconds. The only drawback i have is that the effects inside the plugin are not as good as Motu BPM effects. But that can be taken care of with your daws or 3rd party plugins like Waves...OMG. I have some youtube videos of me making beats with it - https://www.youtube.com/user/toryhooks

Motu BPM - this guy is a beast it does everything Guru does and a little more. The effects are off the chain, and why i say that is because the mixer that is built in is for each individual sample you have and you can use the effects for each one, which i love. Its a little more complicated than Guru but its a beast as well. I believe if i would have started on motu BPM i would have done more with it. Ive been using BPM for a couple months now and Guru for 1 year and half.

If you have any questions let me know whats up.

Motu BPM - this guy is a beast it does everything Guru does and a little more.

Cool! What exactly is it that BPM does that Guru can't? Except for the better effects. Judging from screenshots I actually like the interface of Guru a little more. Guru looks cleaner, and it's kinda stressing on the eyes looking at the dark red background in the BPM lol. Or can that be changed?

Last edited:
The effects pretty much are better and their sampler us alot better. Guru is more user friendly in most cases though. Depends on if you like the red or white face. But Guru you will love trust me.

one thing about BPM of Guru is that it has the racks where you can load actual instruments from it's library as well as instruments from Motu and Uvi. BPM is more of a complete workstation where GURU is really for drums/chops...

Depending on what you want to do, you may like one over the other. I have both as well, they both do some cool stuff, I don't really dig the sequencer in Guru personally but the layering/routing is pretty nice.

one thing about BPM of Guru is that it has the racks where you can load actual instruments from it's library as well as instruments from Motu and Uvi. BPM is more of a complete workstation where GURU is really for drums/chops...

Depending on what you want to do, you may like one over the other. I have both as well, they both do some cool stuff, I don't really dig the sequencer in Guru personally but the layering/routing is pretty nice.

I really just need it to replace redrum, because sometimes I can't be arsed to record the drum pattern myself, and a step sequencer is nice to have in those situations. Don't really need the instrument playability of BPM, got other plugins for that.

But Guru you will love trust me.

I hope so =)

...and it's kinda stressing on the eyes looking at the dark red background in the BPM lol. Or can that be changed?

No, it can't be changed, and the orange color bugs me a bit too. You'll get used to it though.

Here's my two cents. Get a good pad controller, BPM and Ableton - it's just unbeatable! There's nothing better in terms of time-stretching (or "warping") audio than Ableton. And personally, I love the workflow you get from working with Ableton's "clips" in Session View.

Combine that with the beat-making monster that is BPM, and you're all set. Comes with a huuuuge multi-gigabyte library too, that's been mastered at Sterling Sound NYC.

Make sure you buy version 1.5 though - version 1.0 (the one they initially sold) didn't have basic functions like UNDO for chrissakes (don't know what they were thinking), or MIDI Learn. They've also upped the sound content from 15GB to 19GB and included their Beat Box Anthology UVI DVD.

I also could be wrong, but I think BPM uses some template (effects?) that makes different drum sounds sound punchy even after just drag-n-dropping them - and this is before any additional FX - so you can build good-sounding kits by just dragging WAV files from your hard drive library!

The onboard piano roll sequencer is one of the easiest I've ever used. You build sequences by storing patterns under different "Scenes" (a bit like in Ableton), and just trigger them from each pad.

Sampling and audio work in BPM is a bit of a hassle, but you can just do it in Ableton instead, it's better at that anyways.

I love it! :)

Hey bro, i'm going to give a run down on your question. Whenever i see a guru or bpm i get excited. i have both so i can give an fair assumption. Ableton live is the bomb also. I came from reason to ableton and i just use Reason as a sound module into rewire. Here ya go.

Guru - this guy is a beast, i have made over 200 songs with this plugin it is my bread and butter vst. You can do everything an mpc can and cant do. I pretty much keep it with me on a flash drive just incase i go to a studio that does not have it. lol The sequencer is so sick to the point you can make a beat in seconds. The only drawback i have is that the effects inside the plugin are not as good as Motu BPM effects. But that can be taken care of with your daws or 3rd party plugins like Waves...OMG. I have some youtube videos of me making beats with it - https://www.youtube.com/user/toryhooks

Motu BPM - this guy is a beast it does everything Guru does and a little more. The effects are off the chain, and why i say that is because the mixer that is built in is for each individual sample you have and you can use the effects for each one, which i love. Its a little more complicated than Guru but its a beast as well. I believe if i would have started on motu BPM i would have done more with it. Ive been using BPM for a couple months now and Guru for 1 year and half.

If you have any questions let me know whats up.

I just Subed to your youtube page, your videos are great! Keep up the good work

sounds like guru then...have you checked out nerve?

Hey bro,
You are exactly right, i couldnt have said it any better. Thanks for all the encouragement also. You are definatly a favorite to me and an encouragement. I support you at the highest, you keep us up on the latest gear, etc and in the word of God. Check out my links and hopefully i can be featured on your website some day. Thanks again bro!

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

I just Subed to your youtube page, your videos are great! Keep up the good work

Hey bro thanks for the sub, i will for sure show you some love. Keep doing your thing and inspiring others. We all need it from the least to the greatest.

Hi, a question about BPM:

is it possible to apply third party effects to sounds inside BPM?

For example, I have a kick on a pad and a snare on another pad. I want to apply a third party reverb on the snare: usually I work with a sof sampler and I apply the reverb as an insert in the individual MIDI track running the snare. How does this work in BPM?

Not inside of BPM you would have to load it as a plugin in your daw to do that

Hi saintjoe, thanks for you help.

Actually, can you explain better in which way I would have to do that?

I mean, going back to my example, i want to add a Lexicon reverb to the BPM snare. Which procedure should I follow? Do I need to export the snare MIDI part in a new MIDI track in Cubase, then apply the Lexicon normally to it, or is there a routing way inside BPM to achieve this (in order to keep all drum workflow always inside BPM)?

you can load BPM into Cubase, and then just route the snare to one of BPM's external outputs to a separate channel in Cubase, then put your reverb on that channel.

Back