motif xs VS fantom g

Fantom. Absolutely the best. I'm still trying to get my money right to cop one of those. Currently I still have the Korg Triton

motif for jazz, r&b, and classical

fantom for hiphop, pop, and house/trance

triton = completly out dated, plus the triton sounds have been used by every tom, dick and harry!

I have both and both have plus and minus. If I had to go with just one I would choose the Motif XS just because I am more familiar with it. The Fantom G has a steeper learning curve and can cause frustration if you're not familiar with Roland. Motif links easier with my MPC 2500, Fantom sometimes causes the MPC to freeze up. Can't really go wrong with either but as far as capabilities they are about equal.

niether! I would go roland. the fantom g is flashy, this and that, but inside its just a fantom x with more fx and some choppy synth sounds. save your money and get a fantom x, thank me later.

well I own the motif xs 6 and I played around on the fantom g for a while as well and there are few differences you have to know. Motif has superior sounds. Especially piano, string sounds are marvelous on the Motif. It comes with Cubase Ai4 which is another cool thing. Fantom G looks f**king awsome. It has a beutiful colorful screen and a little more bizzaz to it. It also has a much better internal sequencer than Motif, so if you will sequnece internally Fantom is the way to go. Its also a bit more comfortable to go around with its mouse support. I cant tell you about the sampling but I heard that Fantom G wins here, it also has the nice pads.

hmm... i love the action on the fantom g... still find that the motif feels kinda plastic... i'm talking about the 88-key version from both products. I got myself a Motif ES8 right now...It rocks!!! But in the end it really depends on what you need onstage (or in the studio). For now the Motif gives me all the piano and rhodes sounds that I need. I am jealous at some patches that Korg or Roland users have, though :P.

I don't use the sequencers of the boards... I just do the sequencing with software DAW... much easier to work with different hardware that way ;) Also much easier for editing. When I talk about boards I usually talk about the feel and sound...being that I would never depend on the Roland or Yamaha sequencing functions onstage or in the studio.

But I have a secret people...

it never was about the instrument...
it always was about the musician...
YOU DECIDE HOW CRAZY YOU GET (with whatever means available)

keep that in mind ;)

Last edited:
Motif xs is sick.easy to use amazing sounds. and hasnt dropped in price in a year.the g is already dropping.who needs the fancy screen. mainly depends on what your doing but for me all motif

I stoped today at guitar center im in the process of the same.... and the choice was as clear as cristal.....Motif XS all the way. I have a Roland juno G reason why i was considering getting the fantom g was because the Roland sounds are indeed PHAT but when i compaired ease of use, arpeggiator,functuanlity, sequencer, on board sounds,pattern mode, cool effects. it was all hands down for the Motif. I love the VCM compressor on the motif and the fact that it has over 6000 arpeggiator. Now do not get me wrong if had enough money i'd buy both there both beatiful in very different ways. GOD BLESS!!!,Manny el producer

to obie.

no. i tested it when it first came out, but i just wanted to make a comparison between both because now im willing to buy either one.

i've had my eye on getting a fantom keyboard ever since i watched a producer friend of mine use it first hand

amazing piece of hardware

Last edited:
Im on the fence as well, its gunna take me about 2 months to save, mayb even longer. My mind is prob gunna change about 60000 times before i actually buy one of them. The info i have gathered is that the acoustic sound son the XS are much better. And being that there are many . .many synth VST's that are real high quality. But that being said, you can get a Fantom and then get a Motif XS rack. And have all the sounds and have the big screen for sequencing on the Fantom. Its all so complicated and being that they'r very expensive pieces of kit. They seem to be the No1 tools that producers want. Many producers dream of having one or the other.
But then you have to take this into account . .the amount of producers you see saying ''i sold all my hardware and i've converted to software'' compared to the amount of producers that say they've stopped using software and now do they'r beats on a workstation.

Its gunna be a hard choice, all i know is im saving up 2g's and whatever i do with that money (wether software, motif or fantom) i know its gunna be hard !

I've had both, and in my opinion I love the Roland Fantom over the Yamaha Motif. The instruments sound more lively, almost surreal, plus you get a lot of easy to use effect to customize your sound. The drums and bass are not the best, so I'd add an mpc or drum (wav) samples into my setup, but I definitely would choose the Fantom.

Back