motif xs VS fantom g

T

thekidjuno

i can either get the motif xs or the fantom g... cant really decide

im leaning for the fantom because it has chord memory, and you can expand the sounds, and the g is guna have a new sound engine thats never been used... but what would yall suggest?

thekidjuno said:
i can either get the motif xs or the fantom g... cant really decide

im leaning for the fantom because it has chord memory, and you can expand the sounds, and the g is guna have a new sound engine thats never been used... but what would yall suggest?

Please dont be fooled by that, watch how many sounds you hear on the G that was on the X. Anyway both im pretty sure would be good choices. Depends on what you're looking for.

Last edited:
The Fantom G looks good on paper, but I am passing judgement after I actually see/hear/play a final production unit.

YAMAHA!! cant help it man...the fantom was nice but it couldnt touch the piano and electric pianos on the motif..i think this battle is gonna be the same way..but i am lookin at it from a live gigging musician's point of view..the Roland may be better for the studio.

ViceVersado said:
No question...Roland products are superior

Co-sign

I have a Fantom S-88 and it beats any Motif or Triton I've ever heard.

From someone who owns a Motit XS and Fantom X, I would say Motif for my needs

Honestly ... a Fantom, Motif or Triton are all just fine. That's goes for the "original" models of each as well as the latest version. Several other things would be fine as well.

Unless you are willing to take the time to understand the individual features of each and determine which might work best for you ... they are all just "boxes full of cool sounds with some sort of sequencer in them".

If you aren't willing to do that kind of research on your own, then they are essentially all the same damned things, as you have no means to understand or evaluate otherwise.

It's like asking what the best car is if you don't even understand the concept of "wheel".

hey dansgold im looking for a board that has the ability to let me really get creative with manipulating the stock sounds.......i really like ****in with simple sounds and making them as obscure as possible........at the same time i want something that will let me arrange my drums in a timely fashion.......user friendly is always great too

Seany Mac said:
hey dansgold im looking for a board that has the ability to let me really get creative with manipulating the stock sounds.......i really like ****in with simple sounds and making them as obscure as possible........at the same time i want something that will let me arrange my drums in a timely fashion.......user friendly is always great too

The Fantom, Motif and Triton all have these abilities, along with dozens of other things.

my argument..which i always tell people..if you arent actually goin to play live, you can use your software sequcencer and buy a midi controller and a bunch of sounds with all the money you spend on a Fantom G or a Motif X. I have a triton and i rarely use its sounds..im using it as a midi controller controlling alot of my soft synths and drum kits and everything else..although i use mine for life gigging and playin at church it rarely gets used for its sound in the studio. You drop that kinda money on one board is cool if u got it. but if u tryna get alot of sounds and this is gonna be your main source, you better off go wit software...my opinion

lol, personally I would go with a triton man BEST SOUNDS! other wise go with the motif, i like the editing for sounds better plus the synth leads. But remember so many people have these instruments so your going to have to edit your sounds BIG TIME!

How can you choose over somthing thats not out yet. I have the Motif XS, the triton rack and the the fantom xr....and just from dealing with both companies as well as korg... i think the motif brings a little bit more to the table.

It's always fun to read/hear "arguments" like "the Triton has the best sounds out of all three, period.". Says who? Based on what criteria? In what style of music? The Triton for example, is useless in "bread & butter" sounds like the Rhodes, or the Hammond B3.

These workstation keyboards or romplers are made so that they appeal to musicians and producers of ALL genres and styles, and when trying to please everybody there are going to be some misteps.

In terms of features, it's like dan said, Fantom-G looks good on paper. And I would argue that the Fantom series (X?) was always easier to use than Motif, even though I never had any troubles with Yamaha. In terms of sounds...I mean I'm basing my opinion on just the early demos, but to ME the Fantom-G sounds EXACTLY the same as the Fantom-X or even OLDER models...

That said... someone mentioned that you're gonna have to edit your sounds heavily because tons of ppl have the same synth. So in ESSENCE - both the XS and apparently the G are BEASTS, they are what you get out of them creatively. If you just buy one of these, and use the presets for a little bit of (poor) playin', then you're just scratching the surface.

Joe Zawinul (r.i.p.) used to have a Korg M1 in his live setup all the way up to until he passed. And he always sounded fresh and personal on what is a really dated keyboard.

I just went and played on a Fantom-G and a Motif XS at the local music shop, and my mind is totally made up. I was pretty sold on the awesome graphics and studio capabilities of the G, and I thought the sound were neat, and then I went and played the XS. OMFG. The sounds I brought out of that thing were so rich and realistic sounding, I turned the volume up and almost blasted the shop door off its hinges. The church organ, for instance, was pretty neat on the G. But it seriously lacked the immense richness and clarity of the XS's. And the percussion sounds like toys on the G, almost all of them. Pianos are better too.

Motif ALL THE WAY, man.

i bought the xs and i think i made the right decision for me. It has better integration with computers and DAWs than alot of the other romplers and i loved the keys and the feel of them. So i know i couldnt have chosen a better workstation for me. However, im not satisfied with it at all. The sounds are ok, the piano is nice but a bit if you ask me - no matter how you eq it. And what is realllllly bothering me is the output of the xs - it is so low in volume. U can bearly hear the motif playing if my plugins are playing at the same time. But after all, im sure i picked the right keyboard. Because in the future, when im only software-based, i know im gonna use it as my midi controller, so im never throwing it away. Plus as i said, it has good integration possibilities with computers. Anyhow, i feel workstations are outdated and cumbersome. Almost everybody is still using them, but there is so much more hassle than just loading up a plugin and play. But another reason i bought it was because i wanted an external sound source so my cpu would get a break...

Back