Monitors, Headphones?

JFutureProducer

Hey Producers, im looking into getting some new monitors or studio headphones. Can anyone point out some good brands and models. Much appreciated.

The KRK 8400s have a great frequency response range. The 6400s are not bad either, but if you do decide on these, you may as well go for a wider frequency response. Of course, what is logical now is to utilize Beats by Dre 'phones, too- be/c that's what the majority of people will be listening to your music on anyway....most times.

depends on your budget. i got some audio technica monitor headphones ath-m50. They have great sound quality, very balanced but mids are a tiny bit withdrawn. nothing better for £80 though. google them for reviews. beats by Dre are a rip off don't buy them.

Last edited:
Just saw another thread discussing studio headphones and they had good reviews for the AT ath-50s. I own some shure srh 440s and they are in the same price range. Good quality for the price. And I agree with dr.q in that I is useful to listen with what your audience may be listening with like cheap iPod headphones or beats just to get a feel for what it may sound like.

If you go for speakers, I'd go for Mackies (assuming you're in the states) ... I had really awesome cheap monitors in the Netherlands from an unknown Chinese brand...

I used to be against monitor headphones verses monitor speakers...Generally you'll get less ear strain if you have a good pair of monitor speakers. The original ones I owned were awesome, and the fidelity didn't decrease at low volumes. I owned a pair of mid range Alesis monitors that I didn't like because I did have to turn them up to really hear them well. Recently, because of my living situation, headphones became a better option for me, but my krk's needed a replacement cable which weren't available yet.

I love my KRK monitor headphones. I was told by guitarcenter worker that I shoold go for these Beyerdynamic ones, and though the clarity is good, I definitely prefer my KRK's by far, which cost a bunch less...I am so happy that I got the replacement in the mail about two weeks ago. Although I also wonder if perhaps I just didn't break in the Beyerdynamics. :/

I only swear by Grado Labs for the last 10 years.....I started with a 325 and now I'm usisng the Grado RF-1 ......which is just awesome!!!!!

I've been using a pair of Sony MDR-7506's for almost 4 years now. Love them to death. I do all my production, mixing, and mastering in them.
DO NOT mix on Sony MDR 7506! And master with 7506? That is - no disrespect - a terrible advise
They are way too bright and disco. I use mine as a vocalist tracking headset if the vocalist asks for a bright top.
/rant over

Last edited:
Mackie Monitors
Sony MDR-7506 Headphones

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

DO NOT mix on Sony MDR 7506! And master in 7506? That is - no disrespect - a terrible advise
They are way too bright and disco. I use mine as a vocalist tracking headset if the vocalist asks for a bright top.
/rant over

couldn't have said it better.

HI there. it depends if it's about tracking or mixing/producing but anyway at a not so expensive level I found the ATH-M40fs by Audio-technica quite good for my needs. Check them. cheers

Back