Monitors / Headphone Acustic Problem

Fedele

Hi guys, This is my studio (yea, my bedroom):
IMG_1208.JPGIMG_1209.JPGIMG_1210.JPG

It's got a windows and the dimension are: Heigh= about 2.8 metres / width= about 3.5 metres / long about 3 metres in max dimension.
I've got a big problem, I hear different sound from Headphone (V MODA LP2) and Monitors (HS 50), why?
Of course my room is just a bedroom, but, how can I improve my room? What kind of panel and where can I put them? Also, Should I move something for a better acoustic?

As for now, what I should trust more, Monitors or Headphone?

Thank you very much, any help is very appreciated! :)

Last edited:
People say to mix on monitors... (with treatment)
B/c monitors tend to be flatter if there intended to be flat...
Headphones color things... unless they are flat headphones...
I say mix on both... once u get a happy medium take it to a different speaker n heaphone set n see how it sounds...

Hi guys, This is my studio (yea, my bedroom):
View attachment 41609View attachment 41610View attachment 41611

It's got a windows and the dimension are: Heigh= about 2.8 metres / width= about 3.5 metres / long about 3 metres in max dimension.
I've got a big problem, I hear different sound from Headphone (V MODA LP2) and Monitors (HS 50), why?
Of course my room is just a bedroom, but, how can I improve my room? What kind of panel and where can I put them? Also, Should I move something for a better acoustic?

As for now, what I should trust more, Monitors or Headphone?

Thank you very much, any help is very appreciated! :)

can you do a floor plan with measurements of each dimension including height? this will help advise you of what is needed

Room dimesnions are:
WIDTH (From the door to the window)= 3.65m
HIGH=2.8m
LONG=4.1m

Last edited:
floor plan - things that can move and things that can't? - speaker location and your listening position in relation to them is important for placing panels dealing with first reflections

however, based on your full measurements, here is your room resonance profile

HWLSoS
Volume41.902cubic meters
Axial Modes
DimensionHWL
Frequency61.5047.1842.00
Tangential Modes
DimensionHWHLWL
Frequency77.5274.4863.17
Oblique Modes
DimensionHWL
Frequency88.17

Axial modes are those that follow the main dimensions of the room
Tangential modes are where any two walls or a wall and ceiling or wall and floor meet
Oblique modes are where two walls and the floor or two walls and the ceiling meet

overall resonance profile at 1st modes of resonance is 42.00, 47.18, 61.50, 63.17, 74.48, 77.52, 88.17 - lots of bass bumps in this room starting at bass guitar bottom E or there abouts and moving up to the F an octave above. you will get other modes of resonance simply by multiplying each of these frequencies by any of the whole counting numbers - we usually consider modes up to the 10th when planning room treatment

need to treat the corners with broadband bass traps and then address your first reflection points to cover some of the upper frequency issues you may also need to have back splash panels diagonally opposite the first reflections panels (these are also first reflection points behind the speakers)

floor plan would go along way towards advising on the next step although see this as well

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/content/55-sound-proofing-versus-sound-treatment.html

Last edited:
a floor plan will tell me far more than photos as I have no concept of dimensions in the photos or perspective (angle viewed at/photo taken at can change the perception of the dimensions as well)

I was thinking to move my table a bit in the center direction (so monitors would have about 1 m from the wall).
I prob buy some bass trap nd putting them near the corners and maybe some panels to put behind the monitos/pc.
But I think that my room would be anyway not that great.
In the meanwhile i could get a better room (and moving my furiniture), is it useful getting a nice flat headphones for mixing/producing? Something like Sennheiser HD 600/650.. of course i love making music with my monitors but when it comes of mixing bass and high it sux a bit..

Thanks

Is that a dorm room or your room at home?

so I reviewed your floor plan which has different width to your initial given set
H: 2.80m
W: 2.85m
L: 4.10m

this will change the resonance profile of your room

HWLSoS
Volume32.718cubic meters
Axial Modes
DimensionHWL
Frequency61.5060.4342.00
Tangential Modes
DimensionHWHLWL
Frequency86.2274.4873.59
Oblique Modes
DimensionHWL
Frequency95.91

the 1st mode resonances are now spread across

42.00, 60.43, 61.50, 73.59, 74.48, 86.22, 95.91

compared to

42.00, 47.18, 61.50, 63.17, 74.48, 77.52, 88.17

i.e. only 3 nodes of resonance remain the same H, L and HL

As for moving things good if you can do it.

treatment needs to be focused in terms first reflection points, which will be somewhere on the side walls behind you and in a straight line with the mid-line of your HS50's and bass traps in the corners and along the floor and ceiling

getting the sennheisers would be nice but you woulds till need to mix with your monitors - consider getting a sub to help with the low end reproduction once you have treatment - temporary though it may have to be

final thoughts if you are thinking of getting a better room - don't short of building one from scratch you will not be able to do much more than you already have planned

finally see this for more ideas https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/content/55-sound-proofing-versus-sound-treatment.html

Back