Monitor Positioning

juse

I am having a desk designed and was wondering if i should have my monitors not too far from me or if it's ok to have them at the ends of the table. the table will be about 7 feet long. i am buying a pair of near field monitors this month so i was wondering where to place them.

My general understanding is that your monitors and yourself should form a triangle, with the distance b/w the monitors being the same as distance b/w u and the monitors. For example, if your monitors are 3 ft apart the distance from your listening position to the monitors should be 3 ft. In the video below the guy talks about it.

equilateral triangle is the goal - it means that you can treat positions of first reflection behind you to the sides and in front of you with confidence - all angles are 60[sup]o[/sup] and all side are equal

I am having a desk designed and was wondering if i should have my monitors not too far from me or if it's ok to have them at the ends of the table. the table will be about 7 feet long. i am buying a pair of near field monitors this month so i was wondering where to place them.

Nearfield monitors are meant to be placed within 1 to 2 meters/yards from listening position (and from each other). As noted above, you'll want them in an equilateral triangle.
If they'll be on the desk instead of on stands I would recommend properly decoupling them. IsoAcoustics makes great desktop stands that provide great decoupling - they've got test results published on their website and you'll find them under most monitors at any music convention.

As mentioned above it depends on the kind of monitors you have eg Nearfield or not. Ideally these would be close and you should be sitting at the tip of an equilateral triangle.

It is also important to avoided corners at all costs.

thanks for the feed back my people, i'm currently having my table constructed at the moment. i heard that the nearfields should also be 5 feet apart?

Back