Mixing and Live set in Ablton

cotec

Coming from making a chill out downtempo album and in studio work to a live set brings a hole other world of changes and things to think about. It can be daunting after spending so much time in creating a track to then put it into a live performance set in ableton. This tutorial is going to take you through my own process and show a simple and streamlined way of doing it.

Bounce Down the Track

The first thing to do is go to your abelton project with the song you are getting ready for a live set. It is a lot easier for work flow in mastering and composing as well as for this step to keep your tracks organized. By grouping your tracks into groups you can easily bounce them down as well as during the mastering process you can have all your bass in one group and eq it and so on.

Here is an example of a track I have grouped togeather:

bounce.jpg

Usually I go with these groups:

• Ambient
  • Melody 1
  • Melody 2
  • Accent Rhythms
  • Drums
  • Kick
  • Bass
  • Bass2

As you can see in the example I don't use all of these categories, and I fit the sounds into the groups that I feel fit best.

After getting them in groups is the fun and time consuming part of bouncing it all down. What I do is solo each group and bounce it down. So I would take "ambient" and solo it. Then Export Audio and save this track as "trackname_Ambient" And would continue this for all of them. Make sure you make the analysis file as well to make it easy to drop in a session.

The Cut

Now that you have the elements bonce you can cut it up into sections for triggering and the live set. You can take these files and load them in stacked on different tracks. I generally load these files in new tracks on whatever Live set I use for djing and performance (just makes it easier as I will show).

cut.jpg

They you can just highlight the section and cut it (Ctrl E). Loop the section to make sure it sounds good and do this for each section of the song. Once that is down you can drag and drop these parts into your live set to make clips to trigger.

The Live Set

live%20set2.jpg

As you can see I just dragged these clips into my session view under the different categories. This way I can trigger a whole section (into and so on) or just a clip. Doing this to your songs you can also do live triggers and "mashups" of your own music and switch elements around. From hear you have a good start of your live set.

This way of bouncing down the tracks has been the most efficient and effective way I have found yet.

As an (Aq) Member you can download my example live set with catigory and groups. I will also be posting an Advance Live Set tutorial for how I deal with effects and my work flow in a live set for (Aq) Members. Join to have access to a larger knowledge bass.

Post a comment below on how you have used this infromation, comments, and such... More Music Production Articles at my site News on Upcoming Shows and Subaqueous Projects

Isaac aka Subaqueous

On this note, we have our Ableton tutor Steve Travell aka Travski doing a live stream Ableton Performance masterclass tomorrow at 1pm BST! got to pointblankonline.net and check out our blog where there is a post with more details and a link to the live stream!

EDIT: There are a very limited number of places to come and watch the session live in the studio! Get in touch to reserve a place!

Back