Midi Keyboard Controllers

The Hooligans

its me again lol,

After doing a lot of research and reading reviews I am still stuck in what direction I should go in for a midi keyboard. I am looking for something that's durable and with a few advanced features. While I won't be using advanced features off the back I still would like a keyboard that would bring me value for an extended period of time. I bought a MPK mini about a month back, and while it was a great introduction into the midi world I feel I need more. I really want to be able to input my automation into FL studio through a keyboard instead of the usual mouse click option. I feel that this will save me loads of time in the future. I also feel that getting a bigger keyboard will increase my creativity. I have narrowed my list down to these below

NOVATION 49 REMOTE SL
Novation Impulse 49
Novation Launch Key 49
AKAI MPK49
Nektar Impact LX49

Getting started I guess I am just looking for keys with good response time and maybe some pads or faders. I feel with my MPK mini the keys have a slow response time, as well as issue with how hard they must be pressed in different situations. A friend of mine suggested to try and get one used which is what I will do. I don't have money to really blow which is why I need this purchase to be the right one. Any help woud be appreciated.

Last edited:
Ive liked the feel of the Novation pad controller before. so in that I compelled to guess towards novation.

However, I do klike my Oxygen 49 and yes the keys allow for bigger swings. For you you must like ska, as do I. A 61 could benefit. Look into the new M audio Oxyegen 61s or 49s. They even have little finger pads for the same price as the older school style Oxygens. Comes on them included.

OI

That's a big range of controllers, with price ranges to match. Since you're looking at the Novation SL49 MKII, look at keyboards that contribute high quality modules to your DAW.

Last edited:
JC that is actually something I considered. I tried finding controllers that were better suited for FL Studio etc, but in my searching I found a bunch of controllers that seemed to be marketed for abelton. The price ranges I saw on the keyboards (used models) all seem to be somewhat relative.

Im the same, gonna wait till xmas to get a new keyboard tho and give my old 25 key novation remote le a run till then! Im looking to upgrade to either m audio oxygen or novation launchkey,or something else in that price range with 61 keys!
Isnt latency based more on computer RAM more than what keyboard you have? Could be wrong tho!

Back