melody question

laela

Hi guys quick question; when I look up daw remakes on youtube or look at midi files of popular melodies there is more than one note playing in the midi files, so my question is melodies not just one note playing one after the other?I get that the bottom notes are bass and that the other notes could be doubles of the melody line but the ones i looked at had slightly different notes>?Thanks.

Coulda been a rhythm line? But yes kind of have to see the midi file to be sure. Or hear it.

I screenshot an image of a melody that i came across yesterday and it is just something that i want to know. Okay its pretty obvious its chords and i get that chords can be backing for your melody but in the vid the producer said they're the melody....so my question is a melody not just a single notes played one after the other or can chords/dyads technically form the melody as well?Thanks

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 11.55.49.png

Last edited:
so those three lines translate as follows (I make no effort to capture rhythmic information as it was hard enough to read the pitch information

c-d-e-g-d-d-c-b-a-b-b-c-c-a-b-b-b-c-c-a
a-a-c-c-b-b-b-b-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a
e-e-g-g-e-e-c-c-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a

if we align all three parts as I have done above we get the following suggested underlying harmonic sense

Am-Am-C-C-Em-Em-Cmaj7/Em#5-Cmaj7/Em#5-Am-Am-Am-Am-Am-Am-Am-Am-Am-Am-Am-Am

i.e. lines 2 and 3 (the lower lines) are providing harmonic context rather than melodic support

Back