matching up sample kicks and your kicks?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I am working with some stuff and right now the sample I am using have some kicks in it I am trying to cover with my own kicks and they are a bit off time. I am using FL Studio so I just went to the piano roll and snapped the quantize to none and started adjusting the kicks as close as I possibly could but it still kind of sound a little off in places. I am even layering this same kick with another that comes in its drum set and the kick sounds thick and what not just it wont really cover samples kicks. Any advice?

Hey guys, I am working with some stuff and right now the sample I am using have some kicks in it I am trying to cover with my own kicks and they are a bit off time. I am using FL Studio so I just went to the piano roll and snapped the quantize to none and started adjusting the kicks as close as I possibly could but it still kind of sound a little off in places. I am even layering this same kick with another that comes in its drum set and the kick sounds thick and what not just it wont really cover samples kicks. Any advice?
Its possible that the kicks you are trying to match don't fall exactly on the grid. Often, human drummers, and occasionally even people using samples, do stuff a little behind or a little ahead of the beat because it feels better that way (or just by accident). You may need to turn *off* the quantize in FL so you can put your added kicks in at the right place.

What I do when i want to hide kicks in a sampled loop under my own is using a lot of sidechain compression that makes the loop duck my kick and therefor silence the kicks in the sample.

Back