Massive problems

C

Crix

Hi guys. I mess up with massive last time and try to understand everything on it. The problem is, ive got no idea how to make bass glide there. It's easy using just sample from some kit but not there. The second problem is sidechain. I always use 808 bass and want to add some sidechain to it when kick hits but also got no idea how. I arleady searched for it on youtube but no results. Thanks in advance!

Never used massive but your questions are pretty basic.

Glide might be called portamento, or slide. And you need to make sure the notes are actually able to 'glide' (they are overlapping slightly)

You can't side chain on massive because massive is a synth not a compressor...Theres no way I believe that you looked up side chaining on youtube and couldn't get an answer.

Last edited:
yea it slide but only a little bit that i can barely hear the difference.

there are empty fields on massive and are called sidechain where i can control it but don't know how. I don't say that i didn't look for just sidechain on youtube, i said i look for sidechain in massive which is possible because i found a tutorial but only for dubstep and for every 4 point in pattern or whatever it is called.

btw no offence but why wasting time on commenting when you never used it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

there are empty fields on massive and are called sidechain where i can control it but don't know how. I don't say that i didn't look for just sidechain on youtube, i said i look for sidechain in massive which is possible because i found a tutorial but only for dubstep and for every 4 point in pattern or whatever it is called.

The glide time adjustment is on the "osc" tab in massive. If the volume isn't loud enough for you then you can turn up the sound, but if you just want the slide volume to increase I would duplicate the track, then freeze+flatten the midi and cut out the slides so you can adjust them however you want. (Not sure if there's an easier way, anyone with more knowledge can chime in)

Just adjust the sidechain in the tutorial you watched to the notes you're using, side chaining doesn't matter with genre, it's just a tool you can use.. or just simply use a compressor?

Last edited:
thanks man, i'll try that and maybe just use a compressor if there would be any difficulties. :):)

Because I don't need to use massive to know how a synth works. If there is a 'side chain' function on massive its not technically a side chain. Its an LFO Pump. You can't side chain something from nothing. You can pump it with the LFO though. If its called 'side chain' on massive its just another case of some company making shit too user friendly and spreading false assumption.

but I have an LFO PUMP on Hybrid too.

Last edited:
Yep, there seems to be one video that uses the term "sidechaining" as a substitute for basic LFO modulation - and somehow this has spread over various Massive tutorials. They also manage to make it sound much more complex than it should be...but Yumid is right, this has nothing to do with sidechaining even though the end result can be somewhat similar.

actually not true - In the Massive manual, it is indicated that each Oscillator has 3 modulation slots, the values of which are normally added together to provide the final modulation for that oscillator

The 3rd modulation slot can also be re-designated as a side-chain slot instead, acting as a modulation depth or multiplier slot instead instead

I.E. this is NI speak for modulation depth

Last edited:
actually not true - In the manual Massive indicates that each Oscillator has 3 modulation slots, the values of which are normally added together to provide the final modulation for that oscillator

The 3rd modulation slot can also be redesignated as a sidechain slot instead, acting as a modulation depth or multiplier slot instead instead

I.E. this is NI speak for modulation depth

But is it a literal side chain or is it acting like a side chain? (like a one knob pumper plugin for example)

We both understood it does the exact same thing, I was just being technical about whether its actually getting side chained by something or if its just getting moved with the LFO. Although it is the exact same result.

If it is an actual side chain, what is the signal ducking from from thats coming from massive? Hard to see why they'd use anything other than an LFO she they have the LFO right there.

I understand NI 'calls' it a side chain. But is it a side chain or an emulation?

sorry, you need to let go of what you think side-chain means: different uses exist and not all of them are applicable to compressors or noise gates or expanders, the original places where we expect to hear the term used; i.e. a compressor is not the only location where we use the term side-chain in the sense you mean

NI uses the terms to mean a modulation source that controls the depth of any other modulation sources applied to a specific oscillator - the mod sources are chained the value of the side-chain depth modulator the value at the side-chain input in the oscillator mod matrix is interpreted as a 0-100% value

your original reply and this one both illustrate perfectly why folks should not answer a question if they do not understand the sw/hw being discussed or without having first done some basic research (the massive manual can be found at several places on-line for free)

thanks for advice guys i appreciate it:) i wanted to use it because i feel like my kick and 808 aren't playing good together yet and these are the most important part of beats. i've read another topic there and most of people, include you bandcoach, said that sidechaining is not a good option in that type of problem so i won't use it and i'll try to solve it in another way. i pitch the kick in a right way, i think, and eq it but still there's something missing there. if you would take a listen and tell me what i should correct https://soundcloud.com/kyve/r-a-i-n-b-o-w . bass "drop" starts in about 0;45

a quick listen suggests to me that you might have a mix problem not a sound design problem: put the two elements onto the same group buss and use a very light (1:1.1) compression just to put them into the same zone.

Personally I do not mind that they are distinct. I was a little "disturbed", but pleasantly so, by your use of a pitched kick to outline the coming pattern of the bass part in the opening 0:40

All these technicalities are killing me. We are talking about the exact same thing. Its something pumping the signal. Ive already implied you can call it whatever, but every synth ive seen except massive calls it an LFO pump. The whole reason I brought it up is because I hate how things are so user friendly now that people don't even know how they are making the sound they're making.

They should understand its the oscillator pumping their signal and thats why its doing it. Its so easy for them to just 'turn the massive side chain on' and have it do its work without even knowing what its doing. Because its not doing the same thing as what a compressor side chain would be doing(even though same end result). Maybe i just like knowing how my stuff is working. None of this is relevant to how you actually work, I just think people should understand all these random things they are turning on to make their sounds rather than just turning it on and making the sound.

A sidechain on massive isn't the same as a side chain on a compressor, its the same effect though, and yes they are BOTH side chaining. So it doesn't matter if the person knows what its doing. Id just rather know how its pumping rather then that it is pumping.

All of those "one knob pumper" plugins could be called side chain plugins as well then because their using the same technology as massive's side chain. But they aren't called that, because their telling you the signal is getting pumped. So i guess its just more me disliking the fact massive calls it a side chain. Even though it is a side chain. If that makes any sense. Doubt it, had a hard time wording my point. Does to me though so I'm good with that haha.

Last edited:
thanks :):) i remember that i used the compression for the first time here because i was always afraid of it(a lot of people suggested in topics not to use compression by amateurs). probably i used it in a wrong way:)

guys you got so much knowledge that i barely can understand you lol

All these technicalities are killing me. We are talking about the exact same thing. Its something pumping the signal. Ive already implied you can call it whatever, but every synth ive seen except massive calls it an LFO pump. The whole reason I brought it up is because I hate how things are so user friendly now that people don't even know how they are making the sound they're making.

They should understand its the oscillator pumping their signal and thats why its doing it. Its so easy for them to just 'turn the massive side chain on' and have it do its work without even knowing what its doing. Because its not doing the same thing as what a compressor side chain would be doing(even though same end result). Maybe i just like knowing how my stuff is working. None of this is relevant to how you actually work, I just think people should understand all these random things they are turning on to make their sounds rather than just turning it on and making the sound.

A sidechain on massive isn't the same as a side chain on a compressor, its the same effect though, and yes they are BOTH side chaining. So it doesn't matter if the person knows what its doing. Id just rather know how its pumping rather then that it is pumping.

All of those "one knob pumper" plugins could be called side chain plugins as well then because their using the same technology as massive's side chain. But they aren't called that, because their telling you the signal is getting pumped. So i guess its just more me disliking the fact massive calls it a side chain. Even though it is a side chain. If that makes any sense. Doubt it, had a hard time wording my point. Does to me though so I'm good with that haha.

actually it is not the same effect as it its a modulation multiplier: this means that as time goes forward the values change either in some predetermined fashion or some random fashion (either is possible as we do not know the source of the modulation index)

I also would not call it an lfo pump as it could be something other than an lfo driving the modulation index: it is a depth modulator/multiplier not a pump regardless of what the manufacturer wants you to call it.

Back