MASCHINE!!! "Akai can kiss my ass."

I was torn between Maschine and fully upgraded mpc 1k. I bought the 1k and now i don't regret. Maybe over time I'll buy Maschine after some updates

Last edited:
@ransum that's what it appears like to me, like can you power Macshine on it's own and bang out? Other than that it's like FL Studio and an MPD

I made the terrible mistake of selling my mpc 4000 when i got out of prison..... Bad decision. Now i have to buy a new one! The mpc sound is one that cannot be duplicated, and i've heard alot of different machines trying to emulate the mpc sound. It can't be done. Its mpc for me... Everything else just sounds so thin!

The mpc sound is one that cannot be duplicated, and i've heard alot of different machines trying to emulate the mpc sound. It can't be done. Its mpc for me... Everything else just sounds so thin!
That's purely your opinion without any basis in actual facts. Too many people have bought the MPC myth.

With the news of VST hosting in the next update this could be a big reason to lean toward Maschine.

Maschine is cool for quick ideals, but I would never use it to replace my daw such as Pro tools, logic, or live. I mainly use it as a plugin. Can you do complete songs in Maschine of course, yes being able to use vst in Maschine is cool to, if you are using it instead of a daw, or just to be able to have more sound. But if I am using Pro Tools or Logic, why would I use it to load vst's I have Kore 2 which does that. So that feature is major for some people, but for those who use maschine as a Plugin not such of a big deal. As far as it being Fl studio with a pad controller, you are way off. Fl Studio has come a long way since I had started using it at version 3 and now their up to 9.6 beta, is a Daw with hundreds of more features then Maschine, you can't compare the two.

Maschine is cool for quick ideals, but I would never use it to replace my daw such as Pro tools, logic, or live.
This isn't meant to replace the DAW although it will for many people. It provides an amazing option for producing without depending on the DAW so much. But the biggest point of Maschine is the total integration of hardware and software.
But if I am using Pro Tools or Logic, why would I use it to load vst's I have Kore 2 which does that. So that feature is major for some people, but for those who use maschine as a Plugin not such of a big deal.
It's huge for those of us who prefer to use Maschine standalone. With 1.6, it becomes an all-in-one solution that so many have been waiting for. It also becomes a much better alternative to Ableton Live's session view in some important areas.
As far as it being Fl studio with a pad controller, you are way off. Fl Studio has come a long way since I had started using it at version 3 and now their up to 9.6 beta, is a Daw with hundreds of more features then Maschine, you can't compare the two.
True. FL Studio and a pad controller doesn't even come close to Maschine, that's for sure.

This isn't meant to replace the DAW although it will for many people. It provides an amazing option for producing without depending on the DAW so much. But the biggest point of Maschine is the total integration of hardware and software.

It's huge for those of us who prefer to use Maschine standalone. With 1.6, it becomes an all-in-one solution that so many have been waiting for. It also becomes a much better alternative to Ableton Live's session view in some important areas.

True. FL Studio and a pad controller doesn't even come close to Maschine, that's for sure.

It's the other way around , maschine doesn’t come close to Fl studio. maschine, is a groove box, not a complete daw. But I like them both.

It's the other way around , maschine doesn’t come close to Fl studio. maschine, is a groove box, not a complete daw. But I like them both.
Like I said, Maschine is not meant to be a "complete daw". That's why Maschine is so popular because you can just get on with making music instead of having to deal with a DAW.

Anyway, FL Studio (or any other software) with a pad controller cannot come close to what Maschine does and what makes it so unique. It actually doesn't make sense to compare them, but if you insist...

Can a pad controller and FL Studio:

- do pretty much everything from the dedicated controller including browsing/loading samples, navigating, sampling, slicing, zooming in and out of waveforms, applying dsp audio edits, opening/saving projects, duplicate, automate, undo...etc. without ever touching a mouse/trackpad or even looking at a computer screen?
- be a tactile hands-on step sequencer with visual feedback via backlit pads which also reflect changes in step resolution?
- be an all purpose MIDI controller where you can make custom templates with custom labels for parameter names that show up on the dual screens for the knobs and buttons?

yes but your still overlooking the fact that it is depended on the computer. like any other midi controller, like the MPD49, it cant stand alone. Yes it has some grate software, and its a very detail midi controller, but its still just that.

yes but your still overlooking the fact that it is depended on the computer. like any other midi controller, like the MPD49, it cant stand alone. Yes it has some grate software, and its a very detail midi controller, but its still just that.
It's not "just that". Obviously it's a USB controller that connects to a computer. But other than that, you really can't compare it to using generic "one size fits all" MIDI controllers like MPD, padkontrol...etc. The fact that software works so tightly integrated with the dedicated controller that was obviously designed that way from the get-go so that pretty much everything can be done entirely from the controller without ever needing to touc a mouse or to look at a computer screen makes all the difference. Maschine is a landmark hybrid hardware/software with a workflow of standalone hardware and there is nothing else like it.

So people still calling Maschine a midi controller?.....show me another midi controller that you can chop samples with....hell show me another midi controller that you can browse for samples with? Oh I think I may understand...people are still referring to the actual hardware as Maschine....yeah the hardware is essentially a midi controller, so if we just talked about the hardware, you'd have a great point. Maschine is more so the software than the hardware. The Software dictates what functionality is available to the hardware device. Together they create an integrated system...but technically the drum machine/groovebox aspect of Maschine does not exist inside of the hardware box it comes with.

but in reality your not chopping in the machine, your using it to control your program. I just cant really except it as a peace of hardware for that fact. its just a really nice midi controller

you don't get it, do you?
but in reality your not chopping in the machine, your using it to control your program.
You really do chop in Maschine. Maschine is a hybrid hardware/software that consists of the dedicated hardware controller and the software.
I just cant really except it as a peace of hardware for that fact. its just a really nice midi controller
If you look at something like the MPC, it consists of the dedicated hardware controller and the software that lives inside the hardware controller itself, as part of its proprietary operating system.

The only thing different with Maschine is that the software happens to live inside a regular computer. But the actual workflow and feel of using it is not much different from using standalone hardware such as the MPC. But obviously being a hybrid, it can do some things that a MPC could never do and is generally faster to do similar things. It is however very different from using most software with generic MIDI controllers, which doesn't even come close to the type of workflow we're talking about.

you don't get it, do you?

You really do chop in Maschine. Maschine is a hybrid hardware/software that consists of the dedicated hardware controller and the software.

If you look at something like the MPC, it consists of the dedicated hardware controller and the software that lives inside the hardware controller itself, as part of its proprietary operating system.

The only thing different with Maschine is that the software happens to live inside a regular computer. But the actual workflow and feel of using it is not much different from using standalone hardware such as the MPC. But obviously being a hybrid, it can do some things that a MPC could never do and is generally faster to do similar things. It is however very different from using most software with generic MIDI controllers, which doesn't even come close to the type of workflow we're talking about.

No he's right. If mashine was hardware, it would have converters, outputs etc etc. The actual hardware processor is your computer, your sound-card/interface are the converters, and the mashine controller is just that, a controller that only works with it's own software, ..which makes it even less versatile than an mpd, pad-kontrol w/e. Without a computer the mashine is nothing as far as I know. So yea technically all it is, is a controller and software bundle, that's tightly mapped and integrated. Great product, but definitely not hardware.

It's called a "hybrid" for sale purposes, but think about it, how is it a hybrid if you can't use it without a computer??:rolleyes:
So I guess an mpd and reason, pre-mapped and configured to a users specifications with limited mouse clicking is considered a hybrid also huh? If anyone wants to consider it a hybrid to make yourself feel better for paying for a tightly integrated controller with it's own software, be my guest.

What I consider a hybrid is the korg m3 and the motif xs because it could operate standalone, and if you hook it up to a computer, it's a plug-in within your daw, ..well with the motif, just cubase but you get the point.

Great product and not knocking you mashine users, but it is what it is. At the end of the day just make good music with w/e you got.

No he's right. If mashine was hardware, it would have converters, outputs etc etc.
No one claiming that Maschine is "hardware", as in standalone hardware.
The actual hardware processor is your computer, your sound-card/interface are the converters, and the mashine controller is just that, a controller that only works with it's own software, ..which makes it even less versatile than an mpd, pad-kontrol w/e.
That's not true at all. I don't know why people go on about something they don't even know anything about. And it's actually more versatile. Maschine makes a quite formidable all-purpose MIDI controller that can be used with any software as many Maschine users do. It's far more versatile than MPD or padKontrol which I have owned. You can easily make your own custom templates and due to the dual screens on the controller, you can scroll through multiple pages per template where you can have custom names for parameters for the knobs and buttons. This makes using other software also feel more like using hardware. Most MIDI controllers cannot even dream of doing this. Also Maschine has the most responsive/sensitive pads out of all existing pad controllers, bar none.
So yea technically all it is, is a controller and software bundle, that's tightly mapped and integrated. Great product, but definitely not hardware.
I don't know where you got the idea that someone claimed Maschine was "hardware". Anyway, it doesn't matter what you think it technically is. It is far, far from a "controller and software bundle" as most people would experience and understand it.
So I guess an mpd and reason, pre-mapped and configured to a users specifications with limited mouse clicking is considered a hybrid also huh? If anyone wants to consider it a hybrid to make yourself feel better for paying for a tightly integrated controller with it's own software, be my guest.
You will never get even remotely close to the experience of using Maschine by pre-mapping and configuring any MIDI controller and Reason (or any other software). The experience is more akin to the workflow of using a standalone hardware like the MPC, where you do everything from the controller itself (and I mean everything as in browsing/loading sounds, opening/saving projects, sampling, slicing, waveform editing, select, selective delete/undo, copy, duplicate, quantize, arrange...etc).

It's a hybrid in the sense that it essentially gives you the workflow of standalone hardware through the dedicated hardware controller yet the software lives inside a computer thus giving you total integration within a software environment. You can try to argue semantics by trying to define "hybrid" by how you narrowly interpret it but it is what it is. It's a hybrid of standalone hardware interface/workflow and computer software. The key word here being "workflow" as opposed to whether something can "standalone".

uhu

I would suggest not the wet your pants just yet. The Maschine, while a really nifty product is still lacking alot in the software area. Things that will hopefully get adressed as time goes by.

and how long thats gonna take?!

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

why dont akai come out with a software program so they wont lose their customers?

No he's right. If mashine was hardware, it would have converters, outputs etc etc. The actual hardware processor is your computer, your sound-card/interface are the converters, and the mashine controller is just that, a controller that only works with it's own software, ..which makes it even less versatile than an mpd, pad-kontrol w/e. Without a computer the mashine is nothing as far as I know. So yea technically all it is, is a controller and software bundle, that's tightly mapped and integrated. Great product, but definitely not hardware.

It's called a "hybrid" for sale purposes, but think about it, how is it a hybrid if you can't use it without a computer??:rolleyes:

first off.... midi controllers are hardware, they have circuitry and tactile human interfaces. Converters have nothing to do with whether or not something is to be considered hardware. Converters are for digital sound sources.

Maschine is an integrated system that gives bi-directional feedback between the controller and the software. Hybrid...no, integrated system yes. Maschine does not require that you use the Maschine software to function, it has control maps for the hardware just like any other pad controller. Example:

A keyboard and mouse are hardware...have no converters....but without a keyboard and mouse hooked up to a computer..you cannot use the computer to perform any tasks. Lets not get into foolish arguments about what is and what is not hardware. We obviously know that you cannot use a mouse and ascii keyboard without a computer connected to them. If your hang up is that you want a standalone capable system, then maschine is not a good choice. Some people dont require standalone because they mainly work on the computer...its pretty straight forward, no marketing tricks no BS.

You guys are taking it all out of context, we're obviously comparing mashine, and what we know as traditional hardware for music production, none of that keyboard, mouse bs, which are also controllers/hardware w/e you want to call it, same difference, but that's not the context of this subject is it?

No one's trying to argue, just saying It's a controller and software bundle.
Is it a game changer? Yes.

Does it bring balance to those that operate with software but want a traditional hardware-esque feel? Yes.

Will it replace an mpc or any hardware equivalent? No, cause at the end of the day without a cpu, and a proper interface/sound-card, could you hook it up to a mixer, speaker/pa system, or headphones and create, or perform in live environments effortlessly? And vice versa for traditional hardware, which doesn't have the power of utilizing software which is the advantage mashine has.

It's a worthy investment nonetheless.

End of that.

Will it replace an mpc or any hardware equivalent? No, cause at the end of the day without a cpu, and a proper interface/sound-card, could you hook it up to a mixer, speaker/pa system, or headphones and create, or perform in live environments effortlessly?
Sorry but that makes no sense. And yes, it has replaced the MPC/other hardware equivalent for live and studio use for a significant number of people including myself having been a long time MPC users of various MPC models. Just take a look at the NI Maschine forums to see the countless number of ex-MPC heads who now use Maschine.

It's not a game changer for nothing. The fact is, it is a MPC killer for many because Maschine does all they used to do on the MPC and much more. That doesn't mean it's a MPC killer for everyone as there are different preferences and needs but you can't discount the fact that it is for enough people.

Back